Ford/Lincoln need to crack down on dealers that do this

12K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  MaxLegroom 
#1 ·
Saw someone post this on the LS club on Facebook

:angry:

See less See more
#4 ·
#8 ·
I realize Lincoln has managed to lower the average age of their buyers significantly in recent years, but they're still well above industry average. While I agree with everybody's shock at just how bad these cars look, the reality is there is still a large enough customer base at many Lincoln dealers to make such things justifiable. Lincoln barely moves 2000 MKZs per month, do you really want their dealers to turn some of them away just to avoid giving them what they want?

Besides, isn't Lincoln all about bespoke product?

#9 ·
If they want it done they can go to a custom shop but NOT at a Lincoln dealer.

Reactions: 2b2
#11 ·
I could not agree more

I recently bought a new Navigator L that had the full blown ghetto treatment that was applied on by the dealer. My selling dealer got the vehicle from another dealer who had the vehicle in stock. The stock dealer had all that garbage put on thinking it would be easier to sell. Bad decision, real bad decision. Since I bought the truck sight unseen, imagine my surprise when I took delivery. I made my selling dealer to remove all that crap and replace any parts that were damaged as a result of the removal. I was livid that a Lincoln dealer would outfit a new vehicle with such distasteful and trashy add ons

#13 ·
No, I don't. I did because I was disgusted with what I saw. I had to share them with my wife who was out of town at the time. I deleted them after the removal was complete. I was so upset that a Lincoln dealer did that. I took delivery only with the caveat that the selling dealer completely return the vehicle to factory condition. They agreed since I buy so many cars from them. The Sales Manager at the dealer that had the vehicle in stock should have been fired. The truck sat on their lot for over three months while others were moving. The selling dealer presumed it was because of the awful add-ons and the fact they were charging an outrageous dealer mark up for these horrible additions. They did not do this do a base model either. They had to do it to a fully loaded Reserve model. I was beyond livid.

#14 ·
A vinyl/cloth style roof looks absolutely ridiculous on the MKZ it's simply not designed for it in my opinion. The MKZ is almost a fastback. To me there is no new car suited for a vinyl roof. The last cars made that actually looked good with a vinyl roof were the Grand Marquis, Town Car, 00-05 Sable and Cadillac DTS.

I just don't see how anyone can think this looks good.

Reactions: Bloggin
#15 ·
I hope to god dealers don't do this treatment to the Conti

Reactions: ThomasWC
#31 ·

As a twenty year old I have to admit the soft top looks horrible (especially on the TL above) but clearly there is still a certain demographic out there that finds this look attractive; therefore I don't believe that Lincoln should stop any dealer from performing this conversion if it means that the customer leaves the lot in something they love.

#33 ·
I don't think the vinyl roofs like those Lincolns have is supposed to be a nod to the convertible. If you go much further back, to the 20's that was the norm, and even moving forward the leather roofs were a sign of luxury, of affluence. ****, even into the 70's the higher end cars had at least a partial vinyl roofs.

#32 ·
People WILL modify their cars. The lack of Lincolns at SEMA shows that Lincoln has not yet accepted the challenge of sponsoring aftermarket development. Rolls Royces, Range Rovers, Jaguars, BMWs, etc., have all had mod-cars/trucks exhibited at SEMA.

Meanwhile, dealers with no design sense are modding Lincolns without factory guidance. The free enterprise system at work.

#38 ·
Ghetto. This look screams it these days. To me, that stuff makes that Continental look like it has already moved to the wrong side of the tracks.

Throughout the '80s and '90s, I recall car magazines imploring Cadillac and Lincoln to stop letting dealers do this to their cars, that every added padded roof and fake Rolls-Royce grille was bleeding away just that bit more of the brand's equity and future. They tried, but couldn't stop their dealers, even when the stuff makes the car look like crap on wheels. They were warned that a new generation of buyers were coming, and that generation, for the most part, doesn't care for such things. At least the dealer that used to sell Lincolns with a big vinyl sign advertising heavy truck repairs no longer sells Lincolns...they now sell Buicks.

I can somehow deal with convertibles that have cloth roofs, but really despise the look on anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.