Caddy prepping for Real Names? - AutoNews - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
News Guru

Re: Caddy prepping for Real Names? - AutoNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
Maybe, but ai dont think in Mark when I hear Lincoln's names. I prefer to think in... Hmm... I don't know... Mickey! Mickey S Mickey T Mickey Z etc etc. the Mark name should be reserved only for the most luxurious and expensive Lincoln coupe. And since that doesn't exist right now, then there is no Mark.
are you kidding right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
If an automaker is consistent and has a naming scheme that makes sense I don't mind alphanumerics. F-series trucks is a great example; the bigger the number the bigger the truck. And the E-series followed that scheme, which made it even more useful and logical.

Personally though, I prefer real names. It's probably less important to non-car fans, but for those of us that love cars and 'connect' with them to a degree, a proper name is better.
I myself don't care if they use real names or not, but when you use letters that make no sense as to their status in your lineup then there's a problem. I keep hearing that Lincoln is doing luxury in their own way but yet they specifically copy the Germans with their naming EXCEPT they are nonsense. Their nomenclature works when only sell two or three cars, but what happens if the day ever comes when their portfolio swells to 10+ vehicles? And if naming structure means nothing at all or "who cares" then why name them at all, just call them Lincoln small CUV, Lincoln hurst-thingy etc...naming structures and hierarchies DO matter, no matter what some will say which is why the high ranking official who previously worked for BMW (a actual tier 1 brand that knows what it's doing in the luxury arena) is admitting that Caddys naming needs work, and Lincoln's defiantly does, and considering I'm a Lincoln fan, I will defiantly mention that it does.
Mkc MKS Mkt mkx mkz, which ones the range topper, which ones the entry level? Heck which one is even a car?.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Audi has the clearest idiot proof generic naming convention. A1-8, Q1-8. With every car looking like a bigger or smaller version of the same car.

Mercedes with Classes is clear also.

BMW group and product naming is getting worse, by creating a whole seperate 'series' just because it's a coupe or convertible based on the same car. Then calling some 4-door sedans 'coupes', and 5-door hatchbacks Grand coupes, and creating Franken-hatchbacks like X6.

Which means Cadillac is going the generic route like Audi.

Lincoln can do well it's current naming convention, as long as they hold the actual 'name' to the top of the line vehicle:

MKA
MKC
MKE
MKZ
MKS
Continental

MKX
MKV(Aviator)
Navigator
Lincoln naming convention is even more meanless. No way to tell a sedan from a SUV that I see and the MKZ is smaller then the MS too.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Ford Focus

When you tell someone you just purchased a new MKS and the person response with, what is that? There goes all the prestige and status of your brand new car, now you explain how the car is so luxurious, etc... That person does not have an idea what you are talking about.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Wild View Post
When you tell someone you just purchased a new MKS and the person response with, what is that? There goes all the prestige and status of your brand new car, now you explain how the car is so luxurious, etc... That person does not have an idea what you are talking about.
It depends if the said nameplate has made a name for itself or not. A nameplate must be a consistently great product if it wants to achieve name recognition.
2b2 likes this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
I agree, but also the Germans has been using them for a long time and everyone knows what they are. I agree that Audi has the easiest of them all, although I like the classes and series of Mercedes and BMW.
True. BMWs model name logic is very clear. I don't think Lincoln's naming logic is clear but they would be hard pressed to find/discover/coin new names for all of their models so it looks like Lincoln is stuck with MK?.

Cadillac may be breaking out of the morass with the new Escala concept. Escalade without the "de" could be a signal from them that there is more to come.

Cadillac Escala

Last edited by glyphics; 08-19-2016 at 04:07 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
True. BMWs model name logic is very clear. I don't think Lincoln's naming logic is clear but they would be hard pressed to find/discover/coin new names for all of their models so it looks like Lincoln is stuck with MK?.

Cadillac may be breaking out of the morass with the new Escala concept. Escalade without the "de" could be a signal from them that there is more to come.

Cadillac Escala
I doubt it JDN has stated several times that CT# and XT# are the way forward and anything with "romantic" names won't happen. Escalade could possibly lose its name and become XT8
2b2 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autonews, caddy, names, prepping, real

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page