Ford Inside News Community

Ford Inside News Community (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/)
-   General Motors Discussion (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/13-general-motors-discussion/)
-   -   GM's Barra says she'll likely testify before Congress (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/13-general-motors-discussion/11122-gms-barra-says-shell-likely-testify-before-congress.html)

nruggiero 03-18-2014 04:04 PM

GM's Barra says she'll likely testify before Congress

GM's Barra says she'll likely testify before Congress; internal inquiry could last months
Automotive News
March 18, 2014
by Mike Colias

DETROIT -- General Motors CEO Mary Barra said today that she's likely to testify personally before congressional committees looking into GM's handling of an ignition-switch problem that has been linked to 12 deaths, and said the company's own investigation could take a few months.

In a meeting with journalists today, Barra again apologized for GM's handling of the problem, which triggered a recall last month, and vowed better vigilance on safety to prevent future defects from going unfixed. GM has acknowledged that some engineers knew about the ignition problem for more than a decade before the recall, which has grown to include 1.37 million U.S. cars, spanning model years 2003 to 2007.

"Our goal is to make sure that something like this never happens again," Barra said in her first public comments since the recall was announced Feb. 13.

Full article at link.

wingsnut 03-18-2014 04:45 PM

Re: GM's Barra says she'll likely testify before Congress

Trial by fire.

Well, not the vehicle fires I mean.

Ed753 03-18-2014 11:13 PM

They were reporting on the news today, that she found out Jan 31st, roughly 2 weeks after taking the top spot.

I also heard, that because of GM's Bankruptcy, they likely would be held liable for civil cases, (but likely to privately settle on a case-by-case basis) however the Bankruptcy wouldn't shield them from possible criminal cases.

SP1966 03-18-2014 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Pinto killed 27, GM has killed how many? Not good.

davidlane 05-20-2014 01:11 PM

GM issues 4 more recalls

GM issues 4 more recalls covering 2.4 million vehicles, suspends sales of 2009-2014 full-size crossovers and 2015 Escalades

This is a headline on Automotive News and has been announced on TV. Details to follow.

Link to the GM press release:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...20-recall.html

wingsnut 05-20-2014 02:16 PM

Re: GM issues 4 more recalls

GM can’t get a break. I was watching ‘Failure to Recall: GM’ on cable last night, aired for the first time, and it was so incredibly negative for them. Probably on YouTube by now. What hurts most, is that they did it mostly to themselves. It was not a Perfect Storm they went through, but in fact their fault. Many will see it that way anyway, and their image is so damaged it will probably take years to recover, not months. And the effects in sales have not really been felt yet, but they will. Unless GM stirs up another fire sale when things get real bad.

2b2 05-20-2014 06:07 PM

just my impression (not following this very closely) is that it's gotten to point of being NUMB to further GM recalls
otoh
I sincerely hope there's prison time for pre-MaryBarra execs
(as opposed to eventual executions for 2008 bankers)

The Voice of Doom 05-20-2014 08:06 PM

GM is going to be fine. NHTSA dropped the ball on the recalls as much as GM did, GM decided to respond by turning every service bulletin into a recall because they really do want to come clean, and they learned from their time being run by the Feds that there's nobody in their organization that can be as corrupt as the Feds. It's unfortunate that people died, but they died due to a chain-reaction of events, not some blatant design flaw (ie. exploding gas tanks). This is why NHTSA themselves were probably so slow on the draw-a recurring trend with certain folks as far as this topic is concerned.

nruggiero 05-20-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2b2 (Post 255194)
just my impression (not following this very closely) is that it's gotten to point of being NUMB to further GM recalls
otoh
I sincerely hope there's prison time for pre-MaryBarra execs
(as opposed to eventual executions for 2008 bankers)

That's why I have always been against bailouts for 'too-big-to-fail' organizations. People must experience the consequences of their horrible actions, so none of this crap will ever happen again.

Also, I wouldn't say Barra (the GM lifer) is innocent just yet.

wingsnut 05-20-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nruggiero (Post 255362)
That's why I have always been against bailouts for 'too-big-to-fail' organizations. People must experience the consequences of their horrible actions, so none of this crap will ever happen again.

Also, I wouldn't say Barra (the GM lifer) is innocent just yet.

So you are OK with tens of thousands of families suddenly losing their livelihood, future investments, deeper depression for the nation, untold suffering, etc......just to teach a lesson to a few execs?