Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews - Page 12 - Ford Inside News Community
 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,995
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

I think Lincoln needs something that attract the attention of the public. The easiest way is with a car with a revolutionary design that appeals to the public to have it only for its design. Lincoln have the apropiate quality, powerplants and tech today, but doesnt have a car that people desire to own only by how its looks.

Ford has recent history making relevant cars, with revolutionary designs and great sales: 1964 Mustang, 1982 Thunderbird/Cougar XR7 (aero-bird), 1986 Taurus/Sable, 1999 Focus, 2013 Fusion. Lincoln needs to make something relevant in the design department. The Navigator , the Continental are great efforts but doesnt offer something really new. Lincoln needs a car as controversial as the 1980 Cadillac Seville, that inspired others models from Lincoln and Chrysler.
Will the new Aviator be this car? I think is a great design, but not revolutionary enough.
joseodiaga4 and glyphics like this.

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

I think Lincoln is struggling to find an expository hook that is compatible with its brand image. The Continental and Navigator are the most recent examples and only one of them was a success. Maybe Navigator is where they start to base their business, similar to the Land Rover with Range Rover.
joseodiaga4 likes this.
Assimilator is offline  
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Ford Falcon
 
rmc523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,601
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I think Lincoln is struggling to find an expository hook that is compatible with its brand image. The Continental and Navigator are the most recent examples and only one of them was a success. Maybe Navigator is where they start to base their business, similar to the Land Rover with Range Rover.
I think Continental could have been a one two punch with Navigator as far as the brand's image goes, had it had the same impact in production form that the concept had. It just lost so much of it's striking/distinctive design features in the transition to production that, while still a handsome vehicle, it just doesn't have that 'wow' factor that the concept had.

As you pointed out, Navigator has been much more successful in that regard, and it'll be up to Aviator (and to a lesser extent, Corsair) to carry that torch until a new Nautilus and Lincoln's Mach 1 come along. Hopefully Aviator barely changes....I think what we saw is largely production, aside from mirrors and a few other details. The EV model will be their opportunity to break the mold and go for a "production concept" look, IMO.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
rmc523 is online now  
 
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

Aviator could be a big deal, how big depends on how well it stands out. It's not a crowded segment and they certainly have a unique take that's hard to ignore. I hope it does well and establishes a new popular model like Navigator.

I think Continental only stands out in Black Label trims, and even then you're still looking at a vehicle that doesn't have the exclusive engineering and performance pedigree of it's competition. On its own the Continental is pretty thin on style and substance, it's really not that far removed from the Ford Taurus based Continentals of my 80's and 90's childhood...this time it's Fusion. From my perspective, nothing has changed AT ALL, this is just how it has to work or not work. So they have to find the right product segments that work with that methodology. The death of the sedan at Ford both opens or closes doors for Lincoln. They either have a chance to develop something truly unique in the company, or they've lost the Ford engineering needed to make it possible. Either way, Lincoln 4 new SUVs are it's last opportunity to head in the right direction.
joseodiaga4 and glyphics like this.
Assimilator is offline  
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 866
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Aviator could be a big deal, how big depends on how well it stands out. It's not a crowded segment and they certainly have a unique take that's hard to ignore. I hope it does well and establishes a new popular model like Navigator.

I think Continental only stands out in Black Label trims, and even then you're still looking at a vehicle that doesn't have the exclusive engineering and performance pedigree of it's competition. On its own the Continental is pretty thin on style and substance, it's really not that far removed from the Ford Taurus based Continentals of my 80's and 90's childhood...this time it's Fusion. From my perspective, nothing has changed AT ALL, this is just how it has to work or not work. So they have to find the right product segments that work with that methodology. The death of the sedan at Ford both opens or closes doors for Lincoln. They either have a chance to develop something truly unique in the company, or they've lost the Ford engineering needed to make it possible. Either way, Lincoln 4 new SUVs are it's last opportunity to head in the right direction.
True!

Ford management has never wanted Lincoln to shine too brightly or be too aspirational; the glare might obscure the family name. There are those who say that Lincoln could only work with what Ford had to give them and that was CD4. But Ford had DEW98 which, in their wisdom, they deemed to good for Lincoln. A Conti on a stretched DEW98 would have had real road presence.

Sadly, Lincoln does have a better chance at market penetration with trucks but the bloom is off the rose. Actually, the bloom was never allowed on this rose. Lincoln trucks will be well designed and luxurious but lack of model variety and, more tellingly, lack of anything that Ford doesn't offer in its showrooms will limit potential customer traffic.
joseodiaga4 and Assimilator like this.
glyphics is offline  
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 326
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

Going back to the 1940's, Ford has lost a lot of money with Lincoln when it did invest a lot in it. The 1958 to 1960 Lincolns were big money losers. The 1961 to 1969 Lincoln Continental was only marginally profitable. The LTD based Lincolns of the 1970's through 1990's were very profitable. Lincoln only is profitable with Ford derivatives.
falcon lover and The Handler like this.
ehaase is offline  
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Ford Sport Ka
 
The Handler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 44
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Going back to the 1940's, Ford has lost a lot of money with Lincoln when it did invest a lot in it. The 1958 to 1960 Lincolns were big money losers. The 1961 to 1969 Lincoln Continental was only marginally profitable. The LTD based Lincolns of the 1970's through 1990's were very profitable. Lincoln only is profitable with Ford derivatives.
Lincoln fell by the wayside after Edsel's death. Nobody has truly cared about it since. That's why the brand has such a muddled identity.

Cadillac and Lincoln cashed in on the faux luxury era, and they're now having to pay the piper.
glyphics likes this.
The Handler is offline  
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 AM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: Future Product Guide: GM - AutomotiveNews

I think there is some sentimentality for Lincoln at Ford, it's has long been a problem child and I doubt there has ever been a convincing business case for continued investment besides the simple desire to keep it going. Fields tried to rescue it and set it on the right path again since he is from that Ford culture that loves it, but we also know he wasn't prone to making the best decisions.

Ford is risk averse, but I also don't think Lincoln will necessarily reward a bottomless pit of money to create new products. So I don't think Ford is doing anything wrong with Lincoln, they are doing what's possible.

I still think Lincolns are better than ever, but so is everything else.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-20-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Assimilator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
automotivenews, future, guide, product

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome