Do Johan & Uwe understand Luxury? OR CADILLAC? - merged/updated - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: GM didn't understand...Luxury - Cadillac CMO

^ well,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose
I feel that Lincoln needs someone that can do this! At this point I am not sure if Ford has realized that the luxury market works different
imho comparing coming Lincolns to coming Caddys,
I see Lincolns as making perfect sense - slowly
while Cadillac is so predictable - tho quickly

&
another Cadillac i$$ue...

while skimming a thread on GMI, I started hearing the word *hustle* in my head
( like Any change, like Saturn > Opel, demands a big hike in price )
followed quickly by a song with adapted lyrics
new GM never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
an *ELR* here and a *CT5* there
New York City is the place where Johan led...
...You should have seen him go, go, go

Hey Uwe, take a walk on the wild side
I said hey Jo(han), take a walk on the wild side...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
I feel that Lincoln needs someone that can do this! At this point I am not sure if Ford has realized that the luxury market works different
If you had the opportunity to go to a Lincoln dealership today, in the US, you would see that they do get it. When we get our MKZ Hybrid (possibly BL), it will be because of the dealership experience, for a large part. That is a HUGE part of what makes a luxury car a luxury car.................... and is something that Cadillac really doesn't get yet.

I have tried to compare the Cadillac experience to my Lincoln experience. All I have gotten is a brochure "download" and repeated annoying e-mails.
post #13 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
If you had the opportunity to go to a Lincoln dealership today, in the US, you would see that they do get it. When we get our MKZ Hybrid (possibly BL), it will be because of the dealership experience, for a large part. That is a HUGE part of what makes a luxury car a luxury car.................... and is something that Cadillac really doesn't get yet.

I have tried to compare the Cadillac experience to my Lincoln experience. All I have gotten is a brochure "download" and repeated annoying e-mails.

prolley better for the [BlackLabel] thread but
have you seen all the links we've got in it, G?
&
What theme(s) are you liking so far?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:00 PM
News Guru

Quote:

well I still have to do that on my next trip to USA, I didn´t know that but it is nice to hear!
although I was refering more to the People at the top of Ford Motor Company management
post #15 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
Ford clearly does not realize this and there is nobody at Ford who will say it. Ford would never have neglected the Lincoln LS and then deep-six the DEW98 if they had any clue as to how to market a premium/luxury car. Exclusivity! During the LS years, Lincoln at least had something that wasn't available in a Ford showroom. Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln because it sells cars that are not available in Chevrolet or Buick showrooms. Cadillac will soon hand DOWN platforms to Chevy but unless Lincoln has platforms that are not handed UP from Ford, it cannot market the exclusivity required of luxury brands.
post #16 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

sorry I can't help picking this apart
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Ford clearly does not realize this...
WHO is this "Ford" you refer to?
Uncle Bill?
the rest of the Family?
the Brand?
the Corporation?
imho
anthropomorphizing companies with human characteristics like REALIZING can lead to misconceptions...cont.

Quote:
and there is nobody at Ford who will say it...
since Fall 2006 until recently there has DEFINITELY been someone at FoMoCo who not only talked openly about all sorts of 'forbidden' things AND knew how to listen
but
ALSO TAUGHT both practices.
Just mho, some people learned them - time is needed to tell if enough did.

Quote:
...Ford would never have neglected the Lincoln LS and then deep-six the DEW98 if they had any clue as to how to market a premium/luxury car. Exclusivity! During the LS years, Lincoln at least had something that wasn't available in a Ford showroom...
^continuing: FoMoCo is not the same company it was back in the Oughts(2000-2009)** when the LS was abandonned.
NOR is it the same as in the 1990's when DEW98 was developed - when "they" stoopidly sucked on the foreignPAG crackpipe to make a platform too expensive AND limited for F, M, or L

Quote:
...Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln because it sells cars that are not available in Chevrolet or Buick showrooms...
UNTIL...cont.
(( if platform exclusivity is All Caddy has going for it; are they as good as done? ))
Quote:
...Cadillac will soon hand DOWN platforms to Chevy...
^continuing: :tombstone:
Quote:
...unless Lincoln has platforms that are not handed UP from Ford, it cannot market the exclusivity required of luxury brands.
imho1 exclusive platform(s) haven't worked that well for Caddy so far (& whatabout engines?/electrics?)
imho2 seems ^other stuff is more important
imho3 FoMoCo's platforms & drivetrains are better suited to sharing anyway

post #17 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
sorry I can't help picking this apart

WHO is this "Ford" you refer to?
Uncle Bill?
the rest of the Family?
the Brand?
the Corporation?
imho
anthropomorphizing companies with human characteristics like REALIZING can lead to misconceptions...cont.
Please, please please, tell this to the Supreme Court.

Who at Ford stated that Ford did not know how to build or market cars to luxury buyers?

If the DEW98 was so expensive, why did Jaguar, after being sold (at a loss) by Ford, use that platform for the Jaguar XF? The Lincoln LS could have held its own with the XF (and with the BMW 5-series and the Benz E-klasse) if Ford had; 1. developed and refined the car, 2. marketed it aggressively and, 3. produced a next-gen makeover - as Jaguar did transitioning from the S to the XF.

Ford platforms are heavyweight derivatives of ancient platforms (Mazda, Volvo and Ford-Of-Europe), none of which were developed in the U.S. The S550, a dumbed-down low-rent derivative of the DEW98 and - astonishingly, flying in the face of economies of scale - reserved for one model, is also suited for sharing. So where is the Lincoln S550 sports sedan?
post #18 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Ford clearly does not realize this and there is nobody at Ford who will say it. Ford would never have neglected the Lincoln LS and then deep-six the DEW98 if they had any clue as to how to market a premium/luxury car. Exclusivity! During the LS years, Lincoln at least had something that wasn't available in a Ford showroom. Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln because it sells cars that are not available in Chevrolet or Buick showrooms. Cadillac will soon hand DOWN platforms to Chevy but unless Lincoln has platforms that are not handed UP from Ford, it cannot market the exclusivity required of luxury brands.

Complete Nonsense......maybe I'll explain why later.
post #19 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:

Maybe your dealership does but NOT ALL. I have posted here several times about both Lincoln dealerships that are near me and both times left a very sour taste in my mouth. I guess it's because I am young and they don't expect me to be looking at a Lincoln or less afford one but I can, and I OWN a Lincoln now that's what makes it even more aggravating. Also its not like I live in a small town or anything the Tampa Bay area is huge and I have been to both Lincoln dealers in Tampa and in Clearwater. However the one time I stopped at a Lexus dealership I was treated WAY differently. Lincoln still has a lot of catching up to do in that department IMO.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #20 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Ford Kuga

As a Cadillac owner I am a bit torn on the decision to appoint this gentlemen who made an absolute mess of Infiniti to such a crucial position at Cadillac.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
700, boss, boutique, cadillac, cmo, concept, dealers, introduce, johan, luxury, merged or updated, store, understand, understandluxury, uwe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page