Do Johan & Uwe understand Luxury? OR CADILLAC? - merged/updated - Ford Inside News Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Do Johan & Uwe understand Luxury? OR CADILLAC? - merged/updated

via GMSilverado @ GMI (who provided most of the formatting)

5 Questions with Cadillac CMO Uwe Ellinghaus - BrandChannel

The new heads of Cadillac are in the midst of a grand plan to elevate the General Motors luxury marque to the same neighborhood as the German segment leaders and Lexus.

Cadillac global CMO Uwe Ellinghaus and his new boss, Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen, must carve out a more robust and distinctive identity for Cadillac as a serious competitor at the top of the global luxury automotive pyramid. With his prior experience at BMW, Ellinghaus was in the midst of a desperately-needed brand overhaul at Cadillac—redefining it as a distinctly American luxury brand (not a German wannabe) and preparing a new product nomenclature for the brand—when de Nysschen arrived in August.

Now he has a key partner to execute on the brand's global goals: holding firm on pricing, boosting the customer experience at dealerships, and launching a new flagship Cadillac CT6 sedan and ad campaign—not to mention shaking up the status quo by moving Cadillac headquarters from Detroit to New York.

In a further challenge, Cadillac has seen US sales dip (with dealers already warned that things will get worse before they get better) in a year that sibling Buick has been crushing, despite reaching new heights in China. On the precipice of a crucial year, Ellinghaus discussed the Cadillac brand strategy with Dale Buss of brandchannel.

Interview

1) You've been working on turning Cadillac around for almost a year now. What was your first major contribution?

Ellinghaus: It was to show my bosses at GM that luxury works differently than the non-luxury market. GM has huge expertise in technology and engineering, and financially it is in good shape as well, but they didn't understand that a luxury brand works differently. It's all about focus, continuity and consistency—the sort of secondary virtues that the German brands are so good at. Those are some good ingredients for successful branding.

2) How did you begin to apply that to Cadillac?

Ellinghaus: We needed to establish what Cadillac stands for, and not even a couple of values had been defined. What do we bring to the table and how do we explain to customers why to go with a Cadillac rather than something else? We had to set out positioning that differentiated us from the German brands; you can't build a brand emulating your competitors, and in some ways GM admires these brands too much. So Cadillac was missing a little bit on its own heritage and efforts beyond the distinctiveness of our styling.

3) What was the brand missing in terms of relevance?

Ellinghaus: People didn't know what Cadillac stands for. The previous thought was that we have to go in between the segments dominated by the Germans. But I said we need to right-size our cars and make our nomenclature clear. [GM CEO] Mary Barra herself assigned me to come up with a suggestion for fixing the nomenclature. Future cars will have "CT" and then a number behind it that indicates its size in our hierarchy, and future SUVs and crossovers will have an "XT" and a number.

4) You've talked about restoring a sense of "American-ness" to Cadillac. Give me an example of what you have in mind.

Ellinghaus: Well, our marketing will be less technology-driven than in the past. We will walk away from black cars in all of our communications, because that conveys the opposite of optimism. And we will reinject more vibe into the brand. And if you really don't want the American spirit that this brand embodies, then go to the German brands.

5) I know you believe in Cadillac's well-established design language and that it needs to be refined. In what ways is that happening?

Ellinghaus: We're staying with the vertical front grill and carrying the crest and some other elements forward. But we are adding proportion and presence and stance and muscularity, and looking at things like the size of the "greenhouse" versus the rest of the car. It must be about performance and the future. We don't want to go back to a bigger, more comfort-oriented car of the past. Cadillac will not be the car for a couch potato.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: GM didn't understand...Luxury - Cadillac CMO

I have the distinct feeling that Cadillac's team are (still) talking/concentrating about/on secondary issues (at best);
VERY unlike Lincoln (which imho has its direction & all its 'ducks' spot-on-target)!!
&
all that Lincoln needs is ... more vehicles quicker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I don't disagree with what the guys says, but big Caddies have found plenty of "couch potato" customers for decades. He might be underestimating the American love for a large, powerful car.

post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
I don't disagree with what the guys says, but big Caddies have found plenty of "couch potato" customers for decades. He might be underestimating the American love for a large, powerful car.
That kind of goes along with my theory that not all luxury cars have to be European-tuned and athletic. It's amazing that enthusiasts will tear down a car if it does not have those qualities.
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
I agree, I think it would benefit Lincoln if they had 1 or 2 sporty vehicles but the largest vehicle whether it be called MKS or Continental I think should push the envelope for comfort first and foremost but it also shouldn't have sloppy handling like a Town Car, it should be confident but comfortable IMO.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

^ &
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
That kind of goes along with my theory that not all luxury cars have to be European-tuned and athletic. It's amazing that enthusiasts will tear down a car if it does not have those qualities.
I like the tv show 'Castle' (almost all the time) and somehow thinking of its cars: specifically a hired S-class for a trip to The Hamptons and some exotic like/if-not a Ferarri
&
believe there's a bit of "double-think" (see novel 1984*) frequently going on with people pretending the opposite forms of prestige/desireability share anything tangible

( otoh, imho it makes perfect sense that "enthusiasts" are all(mostly)aboutperformance )

otOoh=me, I'd love to see the same ob$e$$ive inve$tment in offerings that don't require breaking speed limits to prove their level of distinction...
...WHAT IF
instead of higher level$ of Msport/M, Vsport/V, S#/RS#(right?) having higher HP / lower 'times' / harsher rides;
they have more/higher-tech electrification (silent) and lower vibration(NVH) not floaty!! but competing to see which car can take the worst road at the legal-limit with the greatest composure
imho ^ way more important for a flagship** than anything having to do with racetrack-like prowess
** actually-iMho,
I'd love to see this applied to EVERY model from SOME() Luxury Brand
+ imho
this would be a great way to put the emphasis on the Brand instead of the model cough*MucK*cough...
by having the littlest Lincoln (able to) feel just a 'unflappably'plush' as the largest***
thereby becoming the ONLY Luxury Brand to not have any model that requires a disclaimer...
(...other than RollsRoyce? )

* Double think is to believe a statement and its opposite at the same time
*** Thanks to Gloria for enlightening me to another way to use Lincoln's CCD for instant road-improvement

post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
FIN Moderator

In other words, Cadillac's plan to be derivative is still on.

It would be nice if Cadillac could get somebody in that understands marketing, understands the market, understands Cadillac, and loves Cadillac all at the same time.

BTW, CT and XT is very original, Uwe! (sarcasm)

I never thought people that value comfort are "couch potatoes". Interesting.
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I think that cars with genuinely impressive ride/handling balance and "functional luxury" will always be hailed as "European-like", just because the USA produced so many floundering whales from our luxury brands...and for so very long. I honestly hope that the entire USA luxury car effort never returns to those days again.

Frankly, if vehicles don't have competitive amenities, handling, ride, and performance for a given market...they deserve to fail, and to damage the reputation of their builders. Lincoln, Caddy, and Chysler have a ton of ground to make up, both in perception and in hardware. However, some of the traditional American luxury customers will likely still flock to offerings they perceive as closest to their own ideas of luxury cars.
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

^^ & ^
"derivative" vs "balance" is exactly where imho Cadillac has Over Compensated from previous 'barges'

post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post

It was to show my bosses at GM that luxury works differently than the non-luxury market. GM has huge expertise in technology and engineering, and financially it is in good shape as well, but they didn't understand that a luxury brand works differently.
I feel that Lincoln needs someone that can do this! At this point I am not sure if Ford has realized that the luxury market works different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
700, boss, boutique, cadillac, cmo, concept, dealers, introduce, johan, luxury, merged or updated, store, understand, understandluxury, uwe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page