XT5 spotted completely undisguised - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: XT5 spotted completely undisguised

I like the look of it so far... however I need to see it in other colors to see if there is any hidden plastic cladding on the front bumper and sides.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Ford Falcon

The Lincoln face is very polarizing, It looks very "American" as many people I've heard describe it, which is apparently a bad thing. I assume that means they think it looks more aggressive or out of step with popular European luxury design. The new Continental fascia definitely brings Lincoln into a more European luxury character so it should blend in much better with the world cars. We'll have to see how it's executed on Lincoln's Crossovers and I suspect the next Navigator might be the first to get the new look and MKX will be the last. I actually expect to own two of these MKXs before it's updated to the new look...it takes a good 4 years before we see a refresh. I'm sure it'll be tied to the Edge update, which could definitely use a more interesting face itself.

At first glance I'm turned off by the softness of the new designs, it seems old fashioned and not very exciting. But we're also in an era where all design basically looks the same and lacks distinctiveness. It sounds like Lincoln designers admire Audi the most...as do I. But hopefully we see some of that Audi sharpness and technicality as well.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Ford Explorer

The Woodhouse After Hours interview in the previous page was good to listen to, if anyone missed it.
He elaborated on many aspects of where Lincoln is going (design language) as well as how the Conti design evolved.
I agree with much of it. I have a few OCD items I could pick apart regarding him, but overall, I like Woodhouse. And my first reaction was to cringe at his embracing the fact Lincoln is 'resetting' again. But then the more I think of it, the more I see that as a big positive, when redefining an entire brand. So overall, I see the 'reset' as a smarter direction. You can't repeat what you did and expect much different results. I am not sold on some peoples beliefs that if Lincoln suddenly had an exclusive chassis all to them selves, then suddenly and only then will they be taken seriously. Especially when the few co-branded luxury powerhouses who do use it, will soon put an end to that money losing, monolithic approach, in this cut-throat and ultra competitive business. So as the next chapter evolves with Phase II, Lincoln can and will develop a chassis(s) that allows them a lot of flexibility with several top hats, and any drive approach they want. The days of one-offs are gone, if you are savvy, so Lincoln is wise not to embrace old business practices.

So I am very excited and eager to see just how much the Conti will boost Lincoln's image and sales.
Heck, even Bob Lutz seems to feel the Conti is the better approach than their own 'very American' CT6....which looks nearly identical to the CTS. For better or worse. Based on sales, I would suggest 'worse.'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

New Cadillac XT5 Spied from More Angles
Autoguide

Stephen Elmer| Jun 29, 2015

...A seven-seat version of the crossover is rumored to eventually join the lineup...
...a diesel and a plug-in hybrid setup are all expected to join the lineup.
Cadillac will officially pull the sheet off the XT5 at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, 2015...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Ford Mondeo

Hmm, from far, this face of the Caddy reminds me a bit of that of a Chevy...

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Black Label
2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
On order:
2020 Ford Explorer ST
2020 BMW X7 M50i
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
The Woodhouse After Hours interview in the previous page was good to listen to, if anyone missed it.
He elaborated on many aspects of where Lincoln is going (design language) as well as how the Conti design evolved.
I agree with much of it. I have a few OCD items I could pick apart regarding him, but overall, I like Woodhouse. And my first reaction was to cringe at his embracing the fact Lincoln is 'resetting' again. But then the more I think of it, the more I see that as a big positive, when redefining an entire brand. So overall, I see the 'reset' as a smarter direction. You can't repeat what you did and expect much different results. I am not sold on some peoples beliefs that if Lincoln suddenly had an exclusive chassis all to them selves, then suddenly and only then will they be taken seriously. Especially when the few co-branded luxury powerhouses who do use it, will soon put an end to that money losing, monolithic approach, in this cut-throat and ultra competitive business. So as the next chapter evolves with Phase II, Lincoln can and will develop a chassis(s) that allows them a lot of flexibility with several top hats, and any drive approach they want. The days of one-offs are gone, if you are savvy, so Lincoln is wise not to embrace old business practices.

So I am very excited and eager to see just how much the Conti will boost Lincoln's image and sales.
Heck, even Bob Lutz seems to feel the Conti is the better approach than their own 'very American' CT6....which looks nearly identical to the CTS. For better or worse. Based on sales, I would suggest 'worse.'
Again, I think most of us are less concerned with exclusive platforms as we are with segment appropriate platforms. You make sacrifices, especially aesthetic sacrifices, when you're designing a mass-market vehicle that are simply unacceptable in a truly premium vehicle. You bring up Lutz, and while I agree with him I wonder if he'll feel the same way about the Continental once it's taken it's mass-market Taurus based hits? Based on the mules I'm cautiously optimistic but still wish Lincoln didn't need to concede design perfection to accommodate the Taurus.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Again, I think most of us are less concerned with exclusive platforms as we are with segment appropriate platforms. You make sacrifices, especially aesthetic sacrifices, when you're designing a mass-market vehicle that are simply unacceptable in a truly premium vehicle. You bring up Lutz, and while I agree with him I wonder if he'll feel the same way about the Continental once it's taken it's mass-market Taurus based hits? Based on the mules I'm cautiously optimistic but still wish Lincoln didn't need to concede design perfection to accommodate the Taurus.
Considering the mission of the Conti, I see no compromises.
Do you?

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:13 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Thanks for posting the pics scford.
Thanks Wings but I need to give credit where credit is due. The pics were originally posted by DetroitBORG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
completely, spotted, undisguised, xt5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page