Buick's {GrayLabel} "Avenir" - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Buick's 'coming' {GrayLabel}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
Auto start / stop cannot be turned off in most GM products. There is NO button in most of them. If you have to shift out of drive to not have it shut off, what is the point??
The ct6 has a dedicated defeat button on cue and xt5 and Malibu will disengage auto stop if driven in "M" (manual) and I assume all GM will be the same.

But I agree w others that I would not buy a car that I cannot defeat the auto stop but if it means driving in "M", that's cool...I'd be doing that anyway
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Yes, some Cadillacs are the only ones with the button.

For the 6 people who will drive their Malibu in "M" that is great. For the vast majority............... not so much.
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:08 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:

For the 6 people who will drive their Malibu in "M" that is great. For the vast majority............... not so much.
I'm sure that the remaining thousands of owners will be fine w the auto stop. How bad must fords system be for u to be so negative to new technology?

From car and driver:
"Engine stop/start technology is standard, and GMs system is one of the best of its kind. The V-6 shuts off imperceptibly when you come to a halt, and it transmits only a minor, barely noticeable vibration to the cabin upon restart."

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:

So you have to put the shifter into Manual mode that requires shifting gears yourself, so as to be able to disengage start/stop?

I definately like Ford's setup better. I can just leave it in S and drive it like an automatic, like I intentionally purchased it for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
So you have to put the shifter into Manual mode that requires shifting gears yourself, so as to be able to disengage start/stop?

I definately like Ford's setup better. I can just leave it in S and drive it like an automatic, like I intentionally purchased it for.
I haven't tried it myself. Just going by what the owners manual said in the three cars I mentioned. And I am not familiar w what "s" does in the ford/Lincoln...does that not mean sport w manual shifting? The "m" could mean medium like it does in one of my cars for all I know. Now u got me wondering...I'll have to investigate this issue
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samesun View Post
...How bad must fords system be for u to be so negative to new technology?...
tho not eXactly the same thing, Ford's was the first hybrid that got praise for smoothness of operation = was THE Best.
My only personal experience was with the Z-hybrid
and there was absolutely No sensation of transition - in fact I had to listen Very closely to be able to detect *if* the engine was running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Ford Explorer

Some quick searching reveals that an M shift option puts the transmission into Manual, which requires driver input to change gears. In some premium models, probably Cadillac only, there is an M button nearby that allows you to to keep pressing it to toggle through Mode setups for Sport, Winter/Ice, Rain, etc. Not sure which one would disengage the Start/Stop, if at all.

S shift selection puts the vehicle into Sport mode, firming up dampers and steering, shift points, etc. And it turns off S/S
Samesun likes this.

post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

this may not be related but I'm the suspicious sort...

GMC's design head adds Buick duties
AutomotiveNews

Nick Gibbs - November 27, 2016

GMC design head Helen Emsley has been given responsibility for Buick as well, GM's design chief has confirmed.

"Helen is the right person to do it because she has this innate ability to pull a team together and all pointing in the same direction," Michael Simcoe told Automotive News this month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

He said that Emsley, who was born in Yorkshire, England, is also the right person to ensure the brand's design reflected its global reach, which includes a huge presence in China.

Emsley replaces Bryan Nesbitt, 47, who takes a new role as a global design strategist for GM, a spokesman for Buick said. Nesbitt has headed Buick's global design since July last year.

Emsley, 51, was named one of Automotive News' 100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry in 2000 and 2015.

She joined GM in 1989 after studying at London's Royal Academy of Arts. She moved to the U.S. in 1998 to manage GM's color and trim studio in the automaker's Technical Center in Warren, Mich.

Emsley designed the interior of the 2014 Corvette Stingray and was given responsibility for the interior design of GM's trucks before being promoted in 2013 to head of GMC design.

post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:18 AM
Focus RS WRC

I guess I do not understand the vitriol against CD and especially S/S .... definitely not in a FWD based car or crossover. This is a tool for commuting people from a to b (that is 90% of it) .. some of them do it with 2 people, some with 4, may with 5 and others with 6,7,8, or more ... some can add AWD, some have more ground clearance, some can accelerate faster .....

But non-niche FWD unibody vehicle is a tool for shuttling people in luxury and efficiency. I see no need to disable S/S ... then again -- I drive a hybrid.. what do I know?

(on trucks, tow rigs, sports cars and sport versions of mainstream cars (RS, ST, etc) ..... I can see the need).
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
this may not be related but I'm the suspicious sort...

GMC's design head adds Buick duties
AutomotiveNews

Nick Gibbs - November 27, 2016

GMC design head Helen Emsley has been given responsibility for Buick as well, GM's design chief has confirmed.

"Helen is the right person to do it because she has this innate ability to pull a team together and all pointing in the same direction," Michael Simcoe told Automotive News this month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

He said that Emsley, who was born in Yorkshire, England, is also the right person to ensure the brand's design reflected its global reach, which includes a huge presence in China.

Emsley replaces Bryan Nesbitt, 47, who takes a new role as a global design strategist for GM, a spokesman for Buick said. Nesbitt has headed Buick's global design since July last year.

Emsley, 51, was named one of Automotive News' 100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry in 2000 and 2015.

She joined GM in 1989 after studying at London's Royal Academy of Arts. She moved to the U.S. in 1998 to manage GM's color and trim studio in the automaker's Technical Center in Warren, Mich.

Emsley designed the interior of the 2014 Corvette Stingray and was given responsibility for the interior design of GM's trucks before being promoted in 2013 to head of GMC design.
So does that mean Buicks will now get real blocky and square like?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page