2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Buick's {GrayLabel} "Avenir"

via AutoVerdict
& crossreference: original TourX thread

2018 Regal TourX Wagon Starts From $29,995
CarScoops
| By Zac Estrada | Jun 27, 2017

...According to CarsDirect, the 2018 Buick Regal TourX will start at $29,995 with destination charge when it goes on sale late this year. The base, newspaper-special TourX 1SV will include the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 250 horsepower, 8-speed automatic transmission, all-wheel drive, as well as a universal home remote and 18-inch wheels.

For $33,575, the Preferred model adds a power driver's seat and is available with a panoramic moonroof and driver assistance technologies, which CarsDirect believes will make it the model most buyers will gravitate towards on dealer lots. A top-level Essence model with desirable options such as leather upholstery and automatic emergency braking is expected to be priced from $38,860.

All of which is interesting because this means the Regal TourX is priced to be more of a competitor to the Subaru Outback and Volkswagen Golf Alltrack (similarly equipped models are between the $28,000 and $38,000 range), rather than the more upscale Audi A4 Allroad and Volvo V60 Cross Country (at north of $40,000 to start). Consider it's noticeably larger than the Volvo and VW and about as powerful as the Audi, and Buick is apparently seeking more of a mainstream audience like that of the Subaru...

source: CarsDirect.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buick-Regal-2018.jpg (53.3 KB, 41 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM
Ford Kuga

I know I'm the only one to think this but MAN is that ugly. The comical black cladding, the pointless chrome arch that intersects the rear and breaks the plane of the shoulder line, that epic wagon overhang, the low and flat fascia....it's just design vomit. Are we sure Opel isn't already French?

Last edited by Assimilator; 06-28-2017 at 08:44 PM.
post #83 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Buick's 'coming' {GrayLabel}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
Auto start / stop cannot be turned off in most GM products. There is NO button in most of them. If you have to shift out of drive to not have it shut off, what is the point??
Just like with all hybrid, and plug-in hybrid vehicles, the engines shut off when not needed. Why would someone want to intentionally run the engine while stopped, when all other features of the car are still active?

post #84 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Just like with all hybrid, and plug-in hybrid vehicles, the engines shut off when not needed. Why would someone want to intentionally run the engine while stopped, when all other features of the car are still active?
I have limited experience with stop/start (F-150 2.7L EcoBoost only) but one of the things that gets annoying really quick is that it doesn't care if you're running the A/C at full blast, it still shuts the engine off along with the compressor which immediately begins blowing hot air at you. Once the engine resumes it takes a moment for the compressor to kick back in and resume cooling. I'm a little surprised the system is that dumb and intrusive, especially with such limited gains. I know it's getting hard to avoid but it's definitely something I don't want in any luxury car, at least with Ford's current implementation.

Last edited by Assimilator; 06-28-2017 at 09:45 PM.
post #85 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I have limited experience with stop/start (F-150 2.7L EcoBoost only) but one of the things that gets annoying really quick is that it doesn't care if you're running the A/C at full blast, it still shuts the engine off along with the compressor which immediately begins blowing hot air at you. Once the engine resumes it takes a moment for the compressor to kick back in and resume cooling. I'm a little surprised the system is that dumb and intrusive, especially with such limited gains. I know it's getting hard to avoid but it's definitely something I don't want in any luxury car, at least with Ford's current implementation.
On the horizon; electric A/C compressors standard in all cars?
2b2 likes this.
post #86 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Brougham all the Things:
Avenir Sub-brand to Grow Across Buick Lineup

TTAC
- Matthew Guy - January 19, 2018

Launched last fall on the new-for-2018 Enclave crossover and extended to the LaCrosse large sedan, Buick now is making noises that the Avenir sub-brand will extend across the lineup, potentially landing on every model it sells.

That didn’t take long. Less than three months ago, we reported Buick brand boss Duncan Aldred said, in reference to Avenir, “We’re not going to force it,” while speaking at a media event near Detroit. It must be tempting to do so, however, when the brand looks across the showroom to see Denali trucks helping push the GMC brand to a record average transaction price north of $55,000.

“As a premium brand, we reach up into luxury and down into mainstream and Avenir is the way we go toe-to-toe, I think, with some of these Tier 1 luxury brands,”Aldred told Automotive News during the Detroit auto show. “You’ll see Avenir roll out across many more models and maybe the whole range over time.”

The Denali sub-brand was allowed a significant gestation period in the early 2000s before it migrated to other models. It was offered exclusively on the Yukon SUV for a solid two years before appearing on the Yukon XL and Sierra. In doing so, it arguably allowed the trim to exceed expectations because it was permitted to grow slowly rather than immediately be pinned to everything the brand built.

In contrast, it has been about four short months since the first Avenir-badged Buick rolled onto dealer lots.

Those with long memories will recall the short-lived C3 trim which preceded Denali on the Sierra. Machines with Denali badging garner a younger and more affluent audience than conventional GMCs, do not disrupt the Cadillac Escalade’s success, and more thoroughly differentiate it from its bowtie brother. Buick seems to be trying the same trick with Avenir.

For 2018, an all-wheel drive Enclave Avenir stickers at $56,795, representing a $5,400 walk from the Premium trim. Its littlest crossover, the Encore, currently tops out at $38,120 with a check-all-the-boxes AWD Premium example. Will the market bear a $40,000-plus Encore Avenir?

The sub-brand’s prospects are greatest, of course, in China, where Buick enjoys a healthy market share and brand image. The Monroney for an Avenir version of the GL8 minivan, shown below, starts at 449,990 yuan (about $70,300). That’s nearly double the price of a base model and 10 percent more than the next trim down from Avenir.

Image: 2017 Buick GL8 Avenir, via Buick

Is Buick jumping the gun with Avenir if it apply it across the lineup? Perhaps. I’m not sure a Regal TourX Avenir would sell any faster than the rate of glacial progression. This author does enjoy the thought of a cushy Buick, and sincerely hopes Mr. Aldred’s interpretation of “over time” is sufficiently lengthy to give Avenir a chance to ingrain itself into the public’s psyche. A stand-alone premium trim, after all, is a terrible thing to waste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #87 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

2018 Buick Enclave Avenir AWD Review – Peeling Back a Veneer of Luxury
TTAC
- Steph Willems - May 24, 2018

I could have told the guy “71 extra pounds.” Then again, maybe “$5,400 more” would have been a better response. Both of these figures are correct, but it’s the latter that best answers the question, “What’s an Avenir?”

The passer-by who accosted me — in a friendly manner, thankfully — outside my residence hadn’t seen the word “Enclave” on the back of the big, white Buick I had parked outside, but I assume he knew the model and wondered what the **** an Avenir nameplate was doing on both front doors.

“Okay, you know Denali…?” I answered. The rest isn’t hard to imagine.

Basically, like GMC’s luxury sub-brand, “Avenir” is a great way to squeeze extra cash out of an existing model, I told the guy. Had I consulted Buick’s website before tailoring my response, I could have said it’s “the highest expression of Buick luxury.” I like my answer better.

In Canada, where the two of us stood chatting next to this blinding, three-row crossover, it’s a $6,000 walk up from the formerly top-end Premium trim to Avenir, which stickers for $61,900 before delivery. Americans get theirs for $54,495 before a $995 destination and freight charge. (Tack on an extra $2,300 if all-wheel drive — standard on Canadian Enclave Avenirs — helps you sleep at night.)

I should add that White Frost Tricoat, which elicits a Clint Eastwood-like squint from all who venture near the Avenir’s gleaming bulk, is an extra $600 (USD).

Random human interactions aren’t all that common with the fairly pedestrian vehicles I test, but what made this convo odd is that it wasn’t the first that week. After parking on a side street few days earlier, a guy jumped off his porch to enthusiastically inquire about the largest vehicle in Avenirdom. He also tried to sell me on a detailing job, the crafty bugger.

So, what does this “expression of luxury” actually bring to the table, besides strange men? In raising the price and content ceiling on the redesigned-for-2018 Enclave, Buick saw fit to visually differentiate the Avenir from lesser trims, adding a black honeycomb mesh to the grille and lower opening, glueing the aforementioned script to the front doors, and shodding it with chrome 20-inch wheels. These are subtle differences, and you’d be forgiven for mistaking it for a five-bucks-under-$40k base Enclave across the parking lot.

Inside, rich, “Chestnut” leather abounds, perforated on the front seats, with Avenir stitching found on the headrests and floor mats. The word also migrates to the sill plates. To instill that drawing room feel, little bit of what once used to be a tree appears on the steering wheel.

One flaw I noticed right away was three loose threads on the leather-wrapped wheel, all located between the 2 and 4 o’clock position. Let’s hope a previous driver had long nails and a nervous habit, as it’s not an encouraging sight in a top-end vehicle with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer...

...There’s another question to ask. Is the Enclave even capable of raising its status with the addition of a higher trim? That’s a tough one. We’ve discussed Buick fairly frequently on these pages over the past few months, and while some feel the brand is too disorganized, too far from its past to resonate with the 2018 buyer, and too incapable of raising eyebrows or pulse rates, it really comes down to the individual.

In my experience, at least a couple of people looked on with something approaching envy. Maybe they were just blinded by the light.
- - - - - - -
"Some silicone sister With a managing mister Told me... "
- Manfred Mann

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page