18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Cadillac Announces "Super Cruise™"

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
Those that truly champion the cause of Lincoln typically support all American luxury. Especially when you consider that Lincoln, and Cadillac share a father.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Separated at birth to different homes.
2b2 and germeezy1 like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Ford Explorer

prob not worthy of it's own thread, so if people don't mind, I will leave this right here.....

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/03/fo...-in-new-study/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

I woud like a loaded Continental Black Label for M-F commutes and an ATS-V for fun on weekends when I'm not taking the Mustang out.

These forums sometimes make me feel alone in that regard.

I, however, don't particularly care for autonomous tech. I like driving.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Ford Explorer

Agreed, it is a system I would hardly use.....but, after spending 22 hours driving back from South Florida, I was recently reminded just how useful it could be.

With regards to the Cadillac safety system, called driver attention system, I think that is key to this whole system. Otherwise, all autonomous cars use maps and radar, sensors, cameras, etc. But I am curious just how well it engages a driver, who let's say is falling asleep. Will it continue to prompt, until it shuts off....which is probably when the sleeping driver needs it most? Will it slowly pull over? These are the kind of unknowns that can make the difference in a safe useful system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Agreed, it is a system I would hardly use.....but, after spending 22 hours driving back from South Florida, I was recently reminded just how useful it could be.

With regards to the Cadillac safety system, called driver attention system, I think that is key to this whole system. Otherwise, all autonomous cars use maps and radar, sensors, cameras, etc. But I am curious just how well it engages a driver, who let's say is falling asleep. Will it continue to prompt, until it shuts off....which is probably when the sleeping driver needs it most? Will it slowly pull over? These are the kind of unknowns that can make the difference in a safe useful system.
That's something I've found ironic.....if these systems detect you're dozing off or something, they shut off.....which seems like the opposite of what they should do. As you said, if someone is falling asleep, would it be good for the system to shut off and be at the "mercy" of the sleepy driver?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
That's something I've found ironic.....if these systems detect you're dozing off or something, they shut off.....which seems like the opposite of what they should do. As you said, if someone is falling asleep, would it be good for the system to shut off and be at the "mercy" of the sleepy driver?
I would encourage a bit of research into the multiple levels of warning the system utilizes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Samesun likes this.

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I'm sure that the driver monitoring system stops the system early in the drowsy stage,
unlike Vacation with Chevy Chase sound asleep at the wheel, coasting into a motel car park..
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Cadillac just released this short clip on using super cruise. I had wondered if it would autonomously change lanes to pass. Seems not. I bet it could but Cadillac likely doesn't want to push autonomous driving too far, too fast. Just ease consumers in slowly like getting into cold water.

2b2 likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-29-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: embedded the video with youtube.com Link-format
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

umm...not sure the water is cold anymore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frogsoup.jpg (85.0 KB, 18 views)
Samesun likes this.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Cadillac's Self-Driving System May Be the Smartest Yet
Wired
- Alex Davies - 06.29.17 - and another video

If you’re wondering why you don’t have a self-driving car yet, you should know that you’re part of the problem. Maybe even most of the problem...

- - - - - - -

Cadillac Super Cruise First Drive: Trusting the machine
SlashGear
- Chris Davies - Jun 29, 2017 - and yet another video

It was, conservatively, 90 seconds before I was satisfied Cadillac’s Super Cruise semi-autonomous driving system wasn’t going to kill me. By that point, a combination of cameras, super-accurate maps, and a fancier-than-usual GPS system were keeping me dead-center at 65 mph
on California’s 280, headed north toward San Francisco. As the CT6 eased its way around the corners, I spent a few moments considering that the car of the future apparently communicates not with the voice of Mr Feeny from Boy Meets World, but with a glowing green steering wheel instead...
Samesun likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-29-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page