Ford Inside News banner

C8 Corvette Reveal

27K views 92 replies 19 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
#3 ·
This car is not a Corvette. No matter how good, atractive or powerful can be. This is not a Corvette. GM can call it whatever, but is not a Corvette.

A Corvette is a RWD, front engine, 2 seats, powerfull and upscale sport car. A mid-engine car is another thing.

Is a mid-engine or a FWD car a Mustang? ...

So, I didnt see the car yet ( I didnt open the link yet...). But this car is not a Corvette.

#8 ·
Plus Im pretty sure Chevy is changing their target demographic with the C8. They cant really continue to rely on boomers and gold chain connoisseurs as they're dying off. They are going after a more upmarket demographic that would never have considered a Corvette before. The current Corvette starts at $55900 and a 911 starts at $113300, I'm guessing the base Vette will start somewhere in between.

#9 ·
I can't believe they're revealing it at 11pm eastern time.

#10 ·
The 2019 Corvette has a base price of just under 56K. The platform has been around for years, and I imagine GM makes a profit at this price point. Add a few options, and after discounts you are at abot 60K. That is a price people may be able to justify spending (or convince their spouse).
If the new Corvette on this new platform has to abandon this customer base, I do not believe they will be able to keep enough volume to stay profitable.
Sure the first year will see a sales spike, but after that, I think the car is on borrowed time.

Look at the formula Ford uses for the Mustang. Sell a bunch at a decent price, but also offer high, very high, and extreme versions on the same platform and body.

Reactions: falcon lover
#12 · (Edited)
You are wright its just under 60,000 and a 0-60 time of less than 3.0 seconds. Chevy hit it out of the ball part at $60,000 it makes the GT500 look way overpriced. The base Vette will beat the Shelby to 60 and being Mid engine I'm sure it will beat the 2020 GT500 in handing too. It seems Ford has lost its roots of being a Blue Collar Brand. Ford is now trying to cater to the rich with Halo products that are way out of reach of their regular customers . Ford now seems more interested in giving us vehicles with big profit margins and under delivering on the content side. With the GT500 being so limited good luck trying to get one for list. The Vette makes the GT500 look lame, what's wrong with this picture Ford. Chevy really moved the bar with this mid engine corvette that is faster, less expensive and available to anyone that wants one. You can not say the same for the new Gt500. Chevy really made a true Halo car that even a regular guy or gal can really dream about getting. The GT500 just looks way over priced now for what you get and that's if you can get one without begging your dealer for one.

#14 ·
At least the price is correct. If you are not British or Italian, you can´t sell a mid-engine sport car for more than 80000$... ask Honda https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/16/acura-nsx-20000-discount/

Looks like this car (I will call it Zora... GM has had to give a new name to this car, and Zora is the best one I can think of) is a very good sport car, at a righ price. It will sell well...for a year or 2...

</pre>

</pre>

#16 ·
Watched the live stream of this last night and for the first time in my life i said I wanted a Corvette. I mean the car is pure sex inside and out. Also the fact that it starts below 60k is huge. Almost nearly as big of news is that for the first time ever it will be available in right hand drive. Lord knows im not a GM fan, but this is a winner.

#17 ·
Overall, It looks like a winner.
Starting 60K...Optional performance pack with same engine will run under 3.0 to 60, and likely be in the 75K range.
The price is right. I doubt they can make a profit on the standard models, but the options will push the profit margin up nicely.
Front looks decent. I like the hood creases.
The only real issue I have is with a mid-engine design is that you can remove a top panel, but will there be a true convertable.

Reactions: SP1966
#19 ·
Starting around 60k is insane I can't believe they will pull it off I thought for sure with it going mid engine it would get a massive bump in price. Good job to GM on this one.

The only thing I don't like is that weird stack of buttons on the interior it looks ridiculous

Reactions: SP1966
#20 ·
Starting around 60k is insane I can't believe they will pull it off I thought for sure with it going mid engine it would get a massive bump in price. Good job to GM on this one.

The only thing I don't like is that weird stack of buttons on the interior it looks ridiculous
I think the 60K version will be like the 30K Tesla...arriving late in the game(if at all) and not stocked by dealers.
I think they will need to sell 90% above the 75K price to break even, if they sell in volume for the next five years.

#24 · (Edited)
First thing that came to mind was the Fake/Replica Ferraris with mid-mounted Corvette V8s. lol

GM knew that if they moved the pushrod V8 back it would make everybody go crazy.

What I like about the C7, it wasn't trying to copy a Ferrari but then again, for Le Mans... maybe they had to.

Getting rid of one's identity for a bit of extra performance.

#37 ·
Yeah, the more I think about this C8, the more I recognize what a brilliant move it was for GM. Kudos there.

Do I wish Ford would give the world an affordable 2 seat super sports car? Of course, but without the legacy like vette, I don't see much customer interest. And what engine would they use, a 5.2L or a 3.5L. The 3.5L could be a a poor mans GT, shedding many of the CF bits even gaining a removable top. Actually, that don't sound half bad. Sure the V8 sounds great, but then it kind of dilutes the GT, rather than promote it.

#41 ·
GM seems to be moving C7 Corvette stock quicker than expected,
I don't think they'll nee any incentives to sell the last 5,000 of them.
There's only about 800 manuals left.

The next three months should be mostly C7 sales as the plant is down

this month for changeover.

#42 ·
GM seems to be moving C7 Corvette stock quicker than expected,
I don't think they'll nee any incentives to sell the last 5,000 of them.
There's only about 800 manuals left.

The next three months should be mostly C7 sales as the plant is down

this month for changeover.

Everyone (fans of Corvette, of course...) want to have the last real Corvette...

:angel

#59 · (Edited)
Also going to be ordering a C8. Base Z51 car, and await at least a year of warranty before modifications. Goal is about 700 flywheel horsepower naturally aspirated.
LOL

Good luck with that.

That reminds me germ, you seem to have claimed many purchases in the past, and I seem to recall someone who knew you quite well and called you out on it as total BS. You then disappeared. Wonder why.

Back to increasing the optimized engine another 205 hp without boosting. LOL

#67 ·
...one coupe and one vert? That is spendy. I’m just sticking with a coupe. Ceramic Matrix with grey interior. Red engine cover, red seat belts, red brakes, with black wheels and painted trim.

Pricing comes out August 15, according to the order page, when you have to confirm or cancel your order. Should know more in 3-4 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.