Spy Photo: Honda's new Ridgeline - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Re: Spy Photo: Honda's new Ridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I abhor this pile of nonsense. I had someone try to tell me that it had a higher towing capacity than an F-150 one time. I almost gave myself a lobotomy with that intense of a facepalm. The fact that this miserable piece of garbage is making its way back into the market makes me shed a tear for the poor, unknowing Americans who purchase this product based on an advertising platform of lies and misguidance. I'd take a Colorado or basically any SUV+trailer over this sad excuse for a utility. Bye.
A pick-up with the capability of a minivan or cuv. But then again, the Ford Explorer went down that road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I was not referring to the 'size' of the platform, but to the concept of Ford using the c-segment platform for cars and the Transit Connect, understanding the 'rumors' about Ford building a truck using the same platform as the Transit Connect. This rumor that seems to have started with the PickupTrucks.com:

"From our standpoint, and from the description Scott provided, it looks like Ford is considering a modified version based off the current Transit Connect or Transit, or possibly both. Either could provide a solid, capable unibody platform for a new-style Ranchero or F-100 pickup truck."
Ford has said they are interested in a truly compact Truck and a next-gen Explorer based pickup probably isn't that. But I think they'd have a hard time seeing a retail customer for an ultra lightweight small pickup that probably looks a little wacky and doesn't scale to higher trim levels and engines. And they need a place to build it here, right now Transit Connect is built overseas and any C2 plant here would need major upgrades just for this. It's possible they'll look at something with a next-gen C2 platform or next-gen Transit Connect. Ultimately I'm convinced Ford has no plans do anything in this market unless it's very scalable (based on something already built at a factory in the US and doesn't compete with F-150). In that scenario, a CD6 based truck sounds compelling because it could share much of it's engineering with next-gen Explorer. I know we've seen this before, but Sport_Trac was a different story and from a different era. My concern is that it's just not low-cost enough to sit far enough below F-150.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

It will be interesting to see how the new Ridgeline will do. The current model stayed below 20k for the past 5 years of annual sales. But to date, the midsize truck sales are over 150k in just 5 months, with most offering double digit increases over last year, and growing each month.

GMs new compact trucks are making the greatest gains. While at the same time their full size trucks are making double digit gains also. Which helps Ford understand that midsize trucks don't impact sales of full size trucks, especially since the Global Ranger is smaller than GMs two midsize trucks. Midsize trucks only allow a manufacturer to offer consumers what they want in a truck, whether it's a midsize or full-size. And the consumer will go to the manufacturer who offers what want. For example, when Ford ended production of the Ranger in the US, Toyota Tacoma annual sales jump over 45k units as a direct result of Ford customers going to Toyota to buy what they wanted, since Ford decided not to offer it.

But that's changing. Without a doubt, after the full launch of the even BIGGER 2015 F-150 is done by end of 2015, the Global Ranger will launch in the US in 2016 as a MY2017. This gives 1 year for global markets to ramp up to the refreshed model(more tailored to US tastes), and only compete with the launch of the F-150 Rapture.

However, Ford will have some catching up to do. Midsize and full size truck markets are separate markets, addressing two different customer bases. Toyota has the lead in midsize trucks with GM quickly moving to the #2 spot and challenging Toyota. While at the same time GMs full size trucks currently outselling Ford's full size trucks. Which means as of today, GM leads Ford in full-size trucks, midsize trucks and overall truck sales. Along with large SUV and luxury SUV sales. GM has a product lineup and plan that is working. Ford can't afford to miss a beat/segment.

I can't help but know that with the new refresh of the global Ranger, that Ford used that opportunity to offer upgrades that makes it even easier to bring it to the US market.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Ford Falcon

There are more variables to consider with GM truck sales, chief among them is the slow launch of F-150 and the lack of any incentives on F-150.

GM corporate has historically outsold Ford in trucks, this is nothing new or surprising. GM lost the lead during their bust and the era afterwards, but they've regained it. Even during Ford's truck and SUV boom in the 90s, GM was collectively outselling Ford Trucks by a sizable margin...but they still went bankrupt. Volume isn't everything, hasn't been for a long time at Ford. What about GM vans? Ford is kicking the pants off GM in that business and those are trucks.

And dude, Ranger is NOT coming to the US next year. But I know you can't be unconvinced because we've had enough people talk to you about this and you're still convinced.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

I'd like to point out that I was very inebriated at the time I posted in this thread about my hatred for the Ridgeline. The beer definitely had me in a "GO TEAM AMERICA" mood when I really couldn't give two hoots about the Ridgeline!

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ in vino veritas!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Ford had mentioned they wouldn't rule out the possibility of a uni-body truck smaller than the F150. Still if I was a betting man I would say they are watching the GM twins closely to see how they do, along with the new Tacoma and soon to be new Frontier. If the market looks good then there is a chance we get the next gen Ranger, honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are already developing the next gen global Ranger to meet US standards just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
honda, photo, ridgeline, spy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page