Is this what a LincStang will compete with? - Ford Inside News Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Is this what a LincStang will compete with?

When Lincoln offers the Lincoln coupe in a few years, which could be based on a next gen Mustang platform, it could be that the 2016 Audi A5 would be the luxury market competition.

The current Mustang has the size and proportions, but is missing the drivetrain technology that puts it on par with Audi's luxury model.

Which is an odd situation, where the Mustang is the only Ford 'car' that offers standard RWD that is standard on all luxury models at the mid level, but it 'currently' lacks the availability of AWD of any kind. AWD that's now available on a Focus model.

My expectation is that Ford engineering will find a way to remedy this. I remember early at the new Mustang launch, that Ford stated that the 'new' platform that the New Mustang rides on can be used for other applications. And a Lincoln coupe could also be where Lincoln more appropriately brings performance to Lincoln.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:43 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Is this what a LincStang will compete with?

tho just-imho
LincStang sportsedan oughta target the Jag XE & Tesla III
+/less-so the more usual susp3cts
& the coupecabrio be closer to the 6ers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

When Lincoln offers the Lincoln coupe in a few years, which could be based on a next gen Mustang platform, it could be that the 2016 Audi A5 would be the luxury market competition.

The current Mustang has the size and proportions, but is missing the drivetrain technology that puts it on par with Audi's luxury model.

Which is an odd situation, where the Mustang is the only Ford 'car' that offers standard RWD that is standard on all luxury models at the mid level, but it 'currently' lacks the availability of AWD of any kind. AWD that's now available on a Focus model.

My expectation is that Ford engineering will find a way to remedy this. I remember early at the new Mustang launch, that Ford stated that the 'new' platform that the New Mustang rides on can be used for other applications. And a Lincoln coupe could also be where Lincoln more appropriately brings performance to Lincoln.
IMHO a better idea would be to use the Stang platform for a compact sedan like the 3 series/C class
The MKZ is more like a ES so both models can coexist.
2b2 and glyphics like this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Ford Explorer

Neither the A5 nor S5 are really performance coupes so they should be easy targets. I would like to see a LincStang have more power than the little over 300HP of the S5, but at the same time I'm not looking for a M6 competitor. My perfect LincStang would be a powerful, comfortable, great driving car of similar size to the S5, but would be a true Mark IX! I think it has to be more athletic than the Mark VII and Mark VIII, but it shouldn't even try to be a track star!

Luxury and style first, performance that exceeds to desires of 90% of buyers.
2b2 likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Neither the A5 nor S5 are really performance coupes so they should be easy targets. I would like to see a LincStang have more power than the little over 300HP of the S5, but at the same time I'm not looking for a M6 competitor. My perfect LincStang would be a powerful, comfortable, great driving car of similar size to the S5, but would be a true Mark IX! I think it has to be more athletic than the Mark VII and Mark VIII, but it should even try to be a track star!

Excellent comment. I completely agree.
2b2 and LEDandSafety like this.

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Medium Royal Blue
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2014 Buick Lacrosse Leather Group - Quicksilver
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post

tho just-imho
LincStang sportsedan oughta target the Jag XE & Tesla III
+/less-so the more usual susp3cts
& the coupecabrio be closer to the 6ers
That's what I would hope, but Lincoln keeps being very clear about NOT being a performance brand, but 'quiet luxury' with powerful engines. Then I thought about Lincoln's focus on going after the largest market segments, and with the A5, Audi has already paved the way, especially with the Chinese market as a clear priority.
2b2 likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Neither the A5 nor S5 are really performance coupes so they should be easy targets. I would like to see a LincStang have more power than the little over 300HP of the S5, but at the same time I'm not looking for a M6 competitor. My perfect LincStang would be a powerful, comfortable, great driving car of similar size to the S5, but would be a true Mark IX! I think it has to be more athletic than the Mark VII and Mark VIII, but it shouldn't even try to be a track star!

Perhaps the Lincstang should be a production MKR. Having 4-doors would definitely further differentiate it from the Mustang.

Think of it as a Lincoln version of the CLS...

...or 6-series Gran Coupe
glyphics likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ imho that'd be just-fine-thank-you
BUT
not for
- a LincStang
- targeting the "Highest Volume Lux segment" ( = 3er & friends)
&
AGREE it needs a 4door sportsedan
YET
90% of a coupe-cabrio is already in production as the MusStang, kinda odd to waste that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
That's what I would hope, but Lincoln keeps being very clear about NOT being a performance brand, but 'quiet luxury' with powerful engines. Then I thought about Lincoln's focus on going after the largest market segments, and with the A5, Audi has already paved the way, especially with the Chinese market as a clear priority.
definitely
Lincoln has no reason to join the HP-Wars
nope
never gonna do the Nordschliefe
uh-uh
& imho
a 450hp 3.0EB + around another 150hp of instant-torque e-power for the front wheels is
"adequate"
at least
until the new, smaller v8 comes out with EB & e-power...
...figure with transient overboost, north of 700hp
which
will be even more adequate

192.8 - 112.4 - 74.6 - 53.9 - BMW 6 coupe
190.0 - 111.0 - 75.0 - 56.0 - LincStang Touring
189.9 - 111.0 - 75.0 - 53.0 - LincStang Coupe
188.3 - 107.1 - 75.4 - 54.4 - Mustang S550
185.0 - 111.0 - 75.0 - 56.0 - LincStang SportSedan
184.5 - 110.7 - 73.9 - 56.1 - 2015 BMW 3
182.1 - 108.3 - 73.0 - 54.0 - Audi A5
175.9 - 103.2 - 75.7 - 51.5 - Jaguar F-Type crossreference

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 PM
FIN Moderator

If they do a coupe, it needs to be a true full-size Continental Mark that's based on whatever the Continental sedan is based on (don't feel like getting into the 'D6' or 'CD6' rumors). In Lincoln's case, there's no sense in making specialty vehicles like coupes in several different sizes. Coupes just don't sell like they used to. It would be better to have one excellent specialty coupe with a really great heritage. Mark Series is about style, comfort, and opulence. RWD obviously isn't completely necessary, and even a FWD one would look as good or better than the Mark VIII, which had terrible proportions for a RWD car!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^
192.8 - 112.4 - 74.6 - 53.9 - BMW 6 coupe
190.0 - 111.0 - 75.0 - 56.0 - LincStang Touring
189.9 - 111.0 - 75.0 - 53.0 - LincStang Coupe
188.3 - 107.1 - 75.4 - 54.4 - Mustang S550
185.0 - 111.0 - 75.0 - 56.0 - LincStang SportSedan
184.5 - 110.7 - 73.9 - 56.1 - 2015 BMW 3
182.1 - 108.3 - 73.0 - 54.0 - Audi A5
175.9 - 103.2 - 75.7 - 51.5 - Jaguar F-Type crossreference
That's why I put the Mustang and Audi A5 together, since they almost share the same wheelbase, which should offer similar interior packaging sizes. That platform for a Lincoln coupe would also offerer economies of scale with Mustang being the #1 selling sports car in the world.

I would think if Lincoln offered a 3 series competitor with an extended Mustang wheelbase at 110/111 inches, there would also need to be a Ford performance model to justify it. But with the MKZ with a 112 inch wheelbase, that might be what becomes as close to a 3-series competitor that Lincoln would do.

Lincoln has plenty of room to tighten up the dimensions on the MKZ, especially at the rear end and smooth out the design. Because it will be a smaller, tighter more agile MKZ that will bring in the under 40 consumer. The sub 40 group really do not want to be driving around in their parents Camry equivalent.

MB has done a nice job with holding on to the luxury while adding more sport to the C-Class to be competitive. Because they know it's cross shopped with the 3-Series. But MB offers more luxury, while still offering a agile ride. This should be where Lincoln goes with a New MKZ. And let the New Continental offer the full size luxury consumer what they are looking for. While a luxury LincStang coupe and convertible brings in more sub 40 along with 40+ at upper trim levels.

All along, I didn't think Ford did all the little detail work on the Mustang for just the Mustang's sake. That super fast electric top along with available magnetic ride, has a LincStang convertible at upper trim levels targeting MB

I think MB missed the mark with the new SL. And this could be where Lincoln gain ground in the luxury convertible market. Lincoln just needs a convertible hard top and top notch safety.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
compete, lincstang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page