and NO WOOD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: The new Aston Martin DB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
This car is a full surprise for me. You see it and, instantly, you know is an Aston Martin. But, when you look closer, you see a less beautiful car than the old Astons, with more "technical" design, more rugged and with some futuristic style details. The floating roof, the complex and all LED tailligths, the more angular and defined hard lines and the multiple air scoops give the car a more "race purpouse" style than the previous generations.

Is a good design. Is a good Aston Martin. A surprising new Aston Martin.
This bolded is what disappoints me most about this car. To me the Aston's have been my favorite cars for a very long time because they relied on beautiful proportions and weren't adorned with excessive design details. They were simple, pure, and beautiful!

This DB11 still has the great proportions, but now there is so much going on in terms of design details that the proportions are almost lost to the eye. Instead of stepping back and taking in the whole, I find myself focusing in on individual elements, or to be more blunt, the whole is less than sum of it's parts.

What I like about the Continental is that they didn't overdesign the car, they settled on the best proportions they could get with the platform they were given, then used a restrained brush to paint the whole. Aston has lost that with the DB11.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:00 AM
Ford Focus

35 colors

2b2 likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 03:13 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

DB11 configurator
tho it hasn't decided to work me yet...
Wondering if anyone would like to post their MINIMUM paint choices out these 35 colors - sorta like if some Other Brand would find it helpful to know that

finally started working for me - like LightningSilver

& for @paul8488 :
DB11 DESIGNER SPECIFICATION 3/6

Shanghai Fashionista
Capturing a spirit of youthful flamboyance this vibrant statement specification is inspired by high fashion. The contrast of Frosted Glass Blue (paint) with Ivory and a flash of Vivid Red creates a bold expression of confidence and memorable individuality.

strikes me as a quite interesting color^
but
other than runners-up MagneticSilver & SkyfallSilver,
I'm rather disappointed - from the pix - imho
Rhapsody is better than UltramarineBlue, MidnightBlue, MarianaBlue;
BurgundyVelvet is better than DiavoloRed or DivineRed
& wonder how close SeleneBronze is to WhiteGold?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB11 LightningSilver.JPG (37.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DB11-SF-FrostedGlassBlue.JPG (51.9 KB, 20 views)
SP1966 and paul8488 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 03-04-2016 at 04:01 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 AM
FIN Moderator

It looks too trendy and overwrought to be a proper Aston Martin. It doesn't have that timeless look that Aston Martin is known for.
falcon lover and Logans Run like this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
It looks too trendy and overwrought to be a proper Aston Martin. It doesn't have that timeless look that Aston Martin is known for.
I still get that vibe from it tbh. Astons were always beautiful but lets be honest; the same basic design hasn't changed much and it's getting tired. Aston Martin is no Porsche 911. They need to change at least a little bit or they will fail.

I love the direction their designs are headed.
SP1966 likes this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I still get that vibe from it tbh. Astons were always beautiful but lets be honest; the same basic design hasn't changed much and it's getting tired. Aston Martin is no Porsche 911.
Thank God, the Astons are so much more beautiful than the 911 could ever hope to be! Other than that I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
They need to change at least a little bit or they will fail.
I guess when you've perfected a brands look there's no place to go but down! Seriously, Aston found themselves needing to advance their look, but the proportions were already perfect so you can't change that. The face is iconic so not much can be done there short of new headlights and small detail changes. What do ya do? Add more detailing. I don't think the side vent extending from the wheel well will ever grow on me, it's probably the part I dislike the most.

It's not bad at all. It's still a beautiful design, it's just not going to be as timeless as the DB9. I think twenty years down the road the DB9 will be the more desirable vehicle, all else being equal. Yet no one is going to be embarrassed to be seen in this DB11!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Ford Explorer

Thanks for the configurator link @2b2!

The strakes are really bugging me, silver or black, no body color option. The blacked out greenhouse was done back in the 90's on the Corvette and looked really cool for about a minute, so black strakes and roof doesn't work for me, especially with all the beautiful colors on offer. The silver strakes look great, so long as you pick silver for the body color.

In profile the roofline is more changed than I thought it was, in fact it looks more like an update to the original Jag XJS replacement, the XK than it does a evolution of the DB9. The more I look, the less I like it, and I feel really bad for those designers, what a thankless job trying to improve upon perfection.
2b2 likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Thank God, the Astons are so much more beautiful than the 911 could ever hope to be! Other than that I agree.
I completely agree that Astons are far prettier, but the 911 is a car that thrives on heritage, unlike Astons (nearly as much) here in the US. Sure there are the Bond cars, but they don't resemble modern Astons nearly as much as Porsche calls upon old 911s in current 911 styling. Also unfortunately, young people like myself are more used to bond using Jags everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I guess when you've perfected a brands look there's no place to go but down! Seriously, Aston found themselves needing to advance their look, but the proportions were already perfect so you can't change that. The face is iconic so not much can be done there short of new headlights and small detail changes. What do ya do? Add more detailing. I don't think the side vent extending from the wheel well will ever grow on me, it's probably the part I dislike the most.

It's not bad at all. It's still a beautiful design, it's just not going to be as timeless as the DB9. I think twenty years down the road the DB9 will be the more desirable vehicle, all else being equal. Yet no one is going to be embarrassed to be seen in this DB11!
I think that's fair. Down the line DB9 will be more desirable for sure. But right now, Aston needs the DB11 to progress, even if it isn't the same kind of timeless classic. They need something fresh and this is juuuust different enough to fit the bill.
SP1966 likes this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page