Ford's Up/Down Safety Ratings ...Only Conti made the List :thumb: - Page 5 - Ford Inside News Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Ford's Up/Down Safety Ratings ...Only Conti made the List :thumb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
It's amazing how much Hyundai/Kia have flipped the script from worst to best in terms of both safety and quality. Detroit is definitely the least consistent.

Ford has several problems with IIHS, most of their products can't score good on their small overlap tests. The other problem is the lack of standard (or available) emergency auto-braking which is something the Japanese and Koreas have really pioneered. But I really think IIHS should start testing those systems as well (if they haven't already), it's possible they aren't all equal. Ford is now making the tech standard fairly quickly across the line starting in 2019. It's another case of being late but rolling out on a bigger scale once they show up. And I'm willing to bet Ford has a pretty good system. Their crashworthiness is another issue unfortunately, there's no getting around the reality of bad safety engineering if you flunk those tests while your competitors ace them. They simply made the choice not to prioritize this type of metric but are responding well to regulatory and 3rd party scrutiny and competition. This is why Ford needs a ton of scrutiny for motivation (remember the huge discrepancy in F-150 crashworthiness because of the undisclosed optional reinforcements?). The other problem are Ford's atrocious headlights, which are all equally terrible no matter what kind of fixture you get, but since Lincoln can do better with Continental than it stands to reason it's cost related rather than expertise.

Continental is the only American brand on the list, and you find yet another opportunity to beat a negative drum.

Wow

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Continental is the only American brand on the list, and you find yet another opportunity to beat a negative drum.

Wow
Feel free to read that again, it might have too many words for you but I assure you it's a very fair and analytical assessment with a nod to Continental and a great deal of praise for Ford and Lincoln. Try as hard as you might, simplifying my perspective isn't going to work. But feel free to keep trying.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-05-2018 at 08:55 PM.
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
...The other problem is the lack of standard (or available) emergency auto-braking which is something the Japanese and Koreans have really pioneered. But I really think IIHS should start testing those systems as well (if they haven't already), it's possible they aren't all equal. Ford is now making the tech standard fairly quickly across the line starting in 2019... ...I'm willing to bet Ford has a pretty good system...
imho this is related:
-- I do Not trust these tests - at least not automatically/completely
just like
-- I do NOT believe in the autonomous boondoggle.

imho REAL WORLD events and analysis AFTER they happen is different yet can still be a quagmire of assumptions.
Trying to have artificial situations set up to try to PREDICT application to RealWorld events withOUT a (Lack of)Confidence RATING
is just plain gullible
& asking for catastrophe(s)

Quote:
...The other problem are Ford's atrocious headlights, which are all equally terrible no matter what kind of fixture you get, but since Lincoln can do better with Continental than it stands to reason it's cost related rather than expertise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
...As for the Top Pick + , I've driven Fords for over 35 years, and have never had headlight issues of any sort.
nope, sorry Logan, you couldn't possibly have Not had multiple problems - the "data" says you did
^sarcasm^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 04-05-2018 at 10:49 PM.

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

Like phones losing the headphone jack, autonomous cars are another example of technology being ready, but people are still not.

As for the headlights: It's the fact that other manufacturers have brighter headlights that make Ford's poor by comparison.
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

While not really about Ford, I want to take some time to talk about some problems I've been having with my car. (2015 Hyundai Sonata)

• Confused Turn Signals

This usually happens when I push the turn lever down. Recently, I've noticed when trying to make a left turn, my indicator will start flashing right a few times, and then switch to left. I've had two times when the left indicator came on about five seconds late.

• Reverse Camera Blacking Out

This has only happened twice, but sometimes my reverse camera goes black.

Last edited by Nihar Mazumdar; 04-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 PM
FIN Staff Member

Ford recalls 2018 big pickups, SUVs for transmission glitch, rollaway risk
Michael Martinez
Autonews

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. on Friday issued a recall for 2018 model year F-150 pickups and Expedition SUVs with 10-speed automatic transmissions for a potentially unseated transmission gear shift cable clip. The recall also covers 2018 model year F-650 and F-750 pickups with six-speed automatic transmissions. About 347,000 vehicles are affected.

In the affected vehicles, a clip that locks the gear shift cable to the transmission may not be fully seated. That could allow the transmission to be in a different gear from the one selected by the driver.

In some instances that could mean the vehicle may not be in park even when the driver shifts to park and turns off the ignition, which could cause unintended vehicle movement. There would not be any warning chimes or messages, since the shifter would be in the proper position.

Ford said it's aware of one reported accident and injury involving the issue.

Here's where the affected vehicles were made.

2018 Ford F-150 pickups built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, Jan. 5, 2017 to Feb. 16, 2018.
2018 Ford F-150 pickups built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Jan. 25, 2017 to Feb. 16, 2018.
2018 Ford Expedition SUVs built at Kentucky Truck Plant, April 3, 2017 to Jan. 30, 2018.
2018 Ford F-650 and F-750 pickups built at Ohio Assembly Plant, April 25, 2017 to March 9, 2018.
Second recall

Ford on Friday also issued a recall for about 161 2017-18 model year F-150 pickups, 2018 Expedition SUVs, 2018 Lincoln Navigator SUVs and 2018 Mustang cars with 10R80 transmissions for a potentially missing roll pin that attaches the park pawl rod guide cup to the transmission case.

The issue could lead to the vehicles eventually losing their park function even when the shifter and instrument panel display indicate the vehicle is in park, leading to unintended movement without any warnings.

Here's where the affected vehicles were made:

2017-18 F-150 pickups built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, Oct. 20, 2016 to March 5, 2018.
2017-18 F-150 pickups built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Dec. 22, 2017 to Feb. 26, 2018.
2018 Expedition SUVs built at Kentucky Truck Plant, Nov. 28, 2017 to Feb. 14, 2018.
2018 Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Nov. 6, 2017 to Feb. 12, 2018.
2018 Lincoln Navigator SUVs built at Kentucky Truck Plant, Dec. 13, 2017 to March 8, 2018.
2b2 likes this.
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

@Bloggin
Quote:
"Ford is expanding a safety recall for its Ford Transit vans. The recall now includes nearly 100,000 of the cargo vans, which are often used to transport up to 15 people at a time."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/ford...h-america.html
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

https://www.leftlanenews.com/steerin...ry-100511.html

Toyota is having the same steering wheel problem.
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

https://www.motor1.com/news/245912/p...-results-suvs/

Explorer fails passenger crash.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page