LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

1-in-5 U.S. Drivers Want an EV ...NOW

1-in-5 U.S. Drivers Want an Electric Vehicle
AAA/newsroom
- Ellen Edmonds - May 8, 2018

ORLANDO, Fla. – American appetite for electric vehicles is heating up. A new AAA survey shows that 20 percent or 50 million Americans will likely go electric for their next vehicle purchase, up from 15 percent in 2017. With lower-than-average ownership costs, increased driving ranges and the latest advanced safety features, AAA sees a strong future for electric vehicles. To help “green” car shoppers make an informed choice, AAA conducts independent, rigorous test-track evaluations of plug-in hybrids, hybrid and fuel-efficient, gas-powered vehicles.

“Today, electric vehicles have mainstream appeal,” said Greg Brannon, AAA’s director of Automotive Engineering. “While concern for the environment is still a major motivator, AAA found U.S. drivers are also attracted to the lower long-term costs and advanced technology features that many of these vehicles offer.”

Perhaps fueling American’s desire for electric vehicles, AAA’s survey found that “range anxiety” is beginning to ease. Among those unsure or unwilling to choose an electric vehicle for their next car, 63 percent (down 9 percent from 2017) cited not enough places to charge as a detractor while 58 percent (down 15 percent from 2017) expressed concern over running out of charge while driving. Not surprisingly, range anxiety is less of a concern for millennials (48 percent) than Generation X or Baby Boomers (64 percent and 66 percent, respectively).

While range is important to most (87 percent) electric and hybrid vehicle shoppers, it is not the only consideration. Reliability is king with nine-in-ten (92 percent) of those likely to by an electric or hybrid vehicle stating it is important when evaluating which car to buy. Electric and hybrid car shoppers are also prioritizing crash ratings (77 percent), cost (71 percent), acceleration and handling (69 percent) and advanced safety technology such as automatic emergency braking and lane keeping assistance (60 percent). Fewer drivers are concerned with style, color, or design of the vehicle (34 percent) or brand of the vehicle (33 percent).

To help drivers looking to making the switch or find their next green vehicle, Automobile Club of Southern California’s Automotive Research Center conducts extensive and thorough testing of high fuel efficiency, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles each year, and assigns ratings based on criteria important to buyers such as ride quality, safety and performance.

“A first-time buyer may feel overwhelmed or confused by the differences between gas-powered, hybrid, plug-in hybrid or electric,” said Megan McKernan, manager of Automotive Research Center. “Our evaluations are designed to help drivers select a safe, comfortable and reliable vehicle – not just the most efficient one.”...

...Although Americans may be more eager to buy an electric vehicle, having the right infrastructure will be critical to its widespread adoption. In 2018, the availability of charging stations had grown to more than 16,000 in the United States and, although anxiety over range has reduced, AAA’s survey found consumer expectation for charging time while on the road may not align with reality. Seven-in-ten (68 percent) Americans feel that while out driving, a charging time of no more than 30 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to wait.

“Today’s drivers are accustomed to a quick fill up at the corner gas station, but electric vehicle charging can sometimes take several hours,” said Brannon. “With a little planning, electric vehicle owners can avoid a roadside inconvenience and, as technology improves, charging times will too.”

Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

re: 1-in-5 U.S. Drivers Want an EV ...NOW

from the article^
In 2018, the following vehicles earned AAA’s Top Green Vehicle award:

_____ Category —— Vehicle _____
________Overall — Tesla Model X 75D
-Subcompact Car — Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier
___ Compact Car — Nissan Leaf SL
____ Midsize Car — BMW 530e i-Performance
_____-Large Car — Tesla Model S 75
-_______ Pickup — Ford F-150 4X4 XLT Sport
- __SUV/Minivan — Tesla Model X 75D
Best Under $30K — Kia Niro LX
Best $30K–$50K — Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier
_Best Over $50K — Tesla Model X 75D

_______
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 05-20-2018 at 07:10 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: 1-in-5 U.S. Drivers Want an EV ...NOW

"...50 million Americans will likely go electric for their next vehicle purchase..."

The new launch of more affordable longer range EV across all segments and body types from companies like Tesla and VW will benefit the most early on.
2b2 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Ford Explorer

"likely going electric next purchase" and wanting now are quite different.

I am likely to go electric within about 5 years, but no way do I want one now.
falcon lover likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

I need more expansive charging infrastructure before I go anywhere near a fully electric vehicle. Could be easily convinced at any point to enjoy a sport biased hybrid like Lincoln plans to build, however.
wingsnut and djhogie like this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Hybrid or Plugin Hybrid sure. I own a regular Hybrid now. Full electric? Not a chance. I still like my road trips and no way I can do one with an electric vehicle at this time, range isn't there and recharging takes too long.
ehaase, wingsnut and djhogie like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Ford Flex

My youngest son will be driving in about 6 years, so I will likely let him have my Fusion, and buy a lightly used Bronco, Edge, or Explorer. Maybe hybrid, but not fully electric. That should last me until I retire, and then I'll get a resto-mod late 60's Mustang convertable, or old beat up F-150.
djhogie and Andrew L like this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Idk about those numbers, guess it depends on who you ask. I myself am not remotely considering an EV until there are a lot more charging stations available.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM
FIN Staff Member

The rapid growth of EV seem obvious to those where an EV works for their needs and that is replacing the ICE or hybrid daily commuter car. The new EVs offer 200+ miles of range per charge, and unlike ICE vehicles, the charging happens at home, with the EV offering 200+ miles every day. And today with most households having more than one vehicle, many duel vehicle households will have one limited use ICE/hybrid vehicle for the occasional longer road trip while the charging infrastructure builds out. But that buildout does not impact the demand for the daily commuter EV which will have rapid growth.

Fuel costs cut more than half, much better driving dynamics, less than half long term maintenance costs, zero emissions, no emissions tests, more power with instant torque and advanced technologies, and no need to visit a fueling station with charging at home at night while you sleep at the cheapest energy rates.

Just the idea of not having to pay $50 in fuel costs for my car each week is enough by itself.

But again, Tesla and VW Brands know what they are doing with offering lower riding sedan EVs. They purposely selected the best body style for aerodynamics and range, along with best driving dynamics possible for the consumer. While others want to offer a body-style where consumers already expect to pay more, while offering less range and diminished driving dynamics, with their true intent to slow the adoption of EVs within their product lineup. But that is sure to backfire.

Lower riding sedans, coupes and roadsters are on the way...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM
FIN Staff Member

Tesla stars building the entry $35k 220 mile Model 3 by end of year. This is where the real volume will be with production at 5k weekly. Dual mode/AWD and Performance ordering is available now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page