BMW Tests Electric 3 Series - Ford Inside News Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

BMW Tests Electric 3 Series

BMW Tests Electric 3 Series
Automotive News | Urvaksh Karkaria

The 3-series EV is based on the redesigned sedan expected to be unveiled this fall at the Paris auto show. Photo credit: CHRIS DOANE AUTOMOTIVE
Spy photos of BMW's electric 3 series, referred to as a Tesla Model 3 fighter, have surfaced in Europe.

Although the vehicle looks like a conventional internal combustion engine 3 series, it has an "Electric Test Vehicle" sticker on the side and a closed-off twin kidney grille.

The range for the electric 3 series is unknown, but it should deliver 250 to 300 miles on a full charge if it expects to compete with the Model 3.

U.S. sales of the 3 series have dropped 14 percent through July this year, slipping behind those of BMW's X3 crossover.

The 2019 3 series, code-named G20, will ride on a variant of BMW's flexible, lightweight CLAR cluster architecture for rear-wheel-drive vehicles. It will have a lower center of gravity and lighter curb weight.

The redesigned 3-series sedan, expected to be revealed in October at the Paris auto show, will go on sale in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2019. An M performance version likely will appear in the second half of 2019.

It's unclear when BMW will launch the full-electric variant of the 3 series, but it is part of the company's ambitious electrification plans.

The automaker expects to roll out a dozen full-electric vehicles by the middle of the next decade. BMW will introduce the iNEXT battery-electric crossover and the i4 four-door electric coupe in 2021. A battery-electric variant of the X3 crossover will go into production in 2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: BMW Tests Electric 3 Series

^Hmmm. Specific plans accompanied by numerous concept vehicles in the last few years.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

A 3-Series EV could really put a dent in Model 3 sales, if they match Model 3 range and pricing. Tesla may have the nationwide, worldwide charging network, but if it's a commuter car, charging happens at home so no need for a public charger. Then there is the nicer BMW interior as well. And it looks like it will be a 2020 model coming in 2019. Also, BMW will still have federal tax credit left to apply to the model. I expect the 3-Series EV to be about $10k more than the current 310 mile Model 3, but closer to the duel motor version which is something to think about. It would be nice to upgrade from one 3-Series to a 3-Series EV, minus all the maintenance requirements and mechanical issues.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:58 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
A 3-Series EV could really put a dent in Model 3 sales, if they match Model 3 range and pricing. Tesla may have the nationwide, worldwide charging network, but if it's a commuter car, charging happens at home so no need for a public charger. Then there is the nicer BMW interior as well. And it looks like it will be a 2020 model coming in 2019. Also, BMW will still have federal tax credit left to apply to the model. I expect the 3-Series EV to be about $10k more than the current 310 mile Model 3, but closer to the duel motor version which is something to think about. It would be nice to upgrade from one 3-Series to a 3-Series EV, minus all the maintenance requirements and mechanical issues.

Ummm... are you re-thinking the Model 3 purchase idea?

Bloggin likes this.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:18 AM
Ford Kuga

There have been Model3 rear bumpers falling off mentioned on some new owners Twitter feeds. Seem the Model3 cannot handle running down the road in the rain and keeping its body parts intact. My guess is the tent factory has some assembly line issues. :-)
spudz64 likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
There have been Model3 rear bumpers falling off mentioned on some new owners Twitter feeds. Seem the Model3 cannot handle running down the road in the rain and keeping its body parts intact. My guess is the tent factory has some assembly line issues. :-)

How long is the Tesla model´s warranty? This car have 1/2 hour with its new owner!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
I saw that yesterday. There was 2 out of over 60,000 produced. The guess is brackets that hold the bumper on were too weak or were not installed properly. I have had to have my bumpers on my BMW adjusted several times front and back because they start to fall down due to the plastic brackets giving way. It's funny that we call it a bumper, but it's just a plastic cover over the actual bumper.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Ummm... are you re-thinking the Model 3 purchase idea?

I have to see what BMW has to offer. But a 3-Series without all the maintenance issues but with all the EV benefits will work. As long as the price is 'close' to Model 3 and gets at least 300 miles of range.

All I can say is Tesla better get the Model 3 production up to 10k on plan(early next year), so that the price can drop to $28k as expected, so there is a wider gap between the price of the Model 3 and the 3-Series EV.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I have to see what BMW has to offer. But a 3-Series without all the maintenance issues but with all the EV benefits will work. As long as the price is 'close' to Model 3 and gets at least 300 miles of range.

All I can say is Tesla better get the Model 3 production up to 10k on plan(early next year), so that the price can drop to $28k as expected, so there is a wider gap between the price of the Model 3 and the 3-Series EV.
They're not going to drop the price to 28K. You're the only person I've seen anywhere imply this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Ford Kuga

I think FULLY electrifying gas products is the wrong way to go, it's a nice cheap solution to put your toe in the water but it's never going to be be as appealing as a Tesla. The only BEVs I would personally care about are those that take full advantage of the technology instead of just bolting it in and reprogramming the gauge cluster. And ultimately it's a terrible value because you're paying the same for compromise. I'm glad to see Ford is not interested in making another Focus EV, the C-EV (Mach1) is the right solution for those customers and for Ford customers. Although Ford is still far from a premium or exotic Tesla product, their approach is more appealing by miles than the mainstream competition (especially Bolt). I think Ford will just start sneaking electrification into customer hands who wouldn't normally buy them which I think is smart and ultimately more important. Ford's C2 PHEV/HEVs aren't really that compelling (not particularly groundbreaking), but it's their RWD HEVs and that entire 10-Speed Hybrid program that's much more impactful for Ford customers and I have a hard time not believing it won't be tremendously influential.

I will hand it to Tesla, no matter what you think of them, it's the only American luxury product that is giving the Germans a run for their money.
70 Stang likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page