2021 Mercedes Benz EQC - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
News Guru

Re: 2021 Mercedes Benz EQC

I really like it.....Hope to see something like this from Lincoln....it's been a while since the Aviator preview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:18 PM
FIN Staff Member

When I saw this picture I thought "why do they have a picture of the MKX in an article about the MB EV SUV?" But it is unavoidable, with so many all these tall 5-door boxes start to look the same. It does look nice.....and big.

But the EQA, EQB, EQE and EQS are on the way as well. I wonder what they will call the C-Class sedan EV, since they used EQC for this big SUV that MB states is the size of an E-Class.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 AM
Ford Kuga

I generally like Mercedes design, but the Mercedes EV face is not appealing to me. To me it looks like they took a typical Mercedes SUV and added EV decorations. This is why I generally admire Tesla, they are exotic because they take advantage of their EV attributes with striking proportions. Most car companies still treat an EV like a converted gas car, adhering to anachronistic limitations for familiarity. Tesla design is simple and precise, the details are minimal and smart. I think the Mach1 is a better design than this Merc IMO, it has better proportions with that strong modern Ford visual DNA with those sharper creases and cleanly divided surfaces. The Mercedes looks more upscale in a traditional sense because it's smooth and well put together.

Either way, every other Non-Tesla car company is going to have a harder time styling BEVs that aren't fundamentally clumsy and tacky references to their brand's visual DNA. I think this is what makes Tesla so hard to match. We'll see how Ford does, but they seem to be very interested in bridging the divide successfully with Mach1. I think Ford had demonstrated an aptitude for styling restraint on EVs and it's striking how much better proportioned this EV is compared to Ford's typical crossovers.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-05-2018 at 12:49 AM.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:40 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I generally like Mercedes design, but the Mercedes EV face is not appealing to me. To me it looks like they took a typical Mercedes SUV and added EV decorations. This is why I generally admire Tesla, they are exotic because they take advantage of their EV attributes with striking proportions. Most car companies still treat an EV like a converted gas car, adhering to anachronistic limitations for familiarity. Tesla design is simple and precise, the details are minimal and smart. I think the Mach1 is a better design than this Merc IMO, it has better proportions with that strong modern Ford visual DNA with those sharper creases and cleanly divided surfaces. The Mercedes looks more upscale in a traditional sense because it's smooth and well put together.

Either way, every other Non-Tesla car company is going to have a harder time styling BEVs that aren't fundamentally clumsy and tacky references to their brand's visual DNA. I think this is what makes Tesla so hard to match. We'll see how Ford does, but they seem to be very interested in bridging the divide successfully with Mach1. I think Ford had demonstrated an aptitude for styling restraint on EVs and it's striking how much better proportioned this EV is compared to Ford's typical crossovers.

I agree with you. Put some blue lines or ligths on a traditional Mercedes-Benz crossover is a childish error that we cant forgive Mercedes-Benz. Should all electric vehicles have blue accents? The front end has something that make it unpleasant... maybe is the form how the lines of the hood intersect the curved grille.

And about the Mach1, I want to see it rigth now. When Ford will show us something? At least, a concept .

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Focus RS WRC

Here, automakers have the opportunity to create. If you are going to reinvent the automobile, why handcuff yourself to your old design DNA? Even T***a realized that painting a fake grille was stupid. Mercedes-Benz/EQ doesn't get it; Volvo/Polestar does (to some extent). You don't create a new brand with the same old design DNA. There has to be an original way to display a tristar.

If you want design continuity, keep making ICE vehicles. BEVs will be a break from Ford's past. Proportions are one thing and Ford's new platforms address that. It's the designs that will take you forward. Is there going to be a "new" Ford or not?
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Ford Explorer

The problem with a large faced SUV, is that if you remove the grill, people will have a hard time getting adjusted to it.
scford58 likes this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post

Well I still think Lincoln had a winner with the Continental Concept as is, as a 300+ mile EV, inductive hands free home charging, with dual motor AWD, autonomy, Fords technological tour-de-force. Then load it up with Black Label interior appointments and service. "Seriously Quiet Luxury". I don't even want a big car but I want that! And that's what Lincoln needs, is cars that consumers just have to have....they want them.

wingsnut likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM
FIN Staff Member

What I see happening is the the traditional ICE auto industry is still thinking ICE. Meaning that they see segment sharing between cars and SUVs that are sold at a higher profit margin, they think that if they made SUV EVs those SUV customers will pay twice as much for an EV version of the same segment EV. That's not gonna happen, and the #1 selling EV company has already painted that picture for the ICE industry.

All they had to do is look at the actual demand/sales of an electric sedan/5-door vs an electric SUV. Month after month the sedan or 5-door hatch outsells the SUV by a wide margin.

YTD, midsize Model 3 is over 55k, while YTD the full-size Model S is at 14k while the large Model X is at 13K. But for August Model 3 sold over 14k units, vs 2600 and 2700 for the Model S and X.

Just looking at the live real time data, it indicates that the ICE industry is reaching for very low large SUV EV sales numbers below 3k monthly. Which does make sense, as they are limited on battery production capacity, and to launch globally, a higher price on a less popular platform helps them get in the EV market and meet consumer demand.

But it is vividly clear that if the ICE automaker is interested in a high volume EV which can bring profitability, their focus should be with offering an EV midsize sedan or 5-door hatch. For Ford, that would be a next gen Fusion EV, for Lincoln it would be a next gen MKZ EV. The German ICE automakers know this, because with MB it WILL be next gen C-Class EV and already testing BMW a 3-Series EV.

So it seems these two large luxury CUV EVs from MB and BMW will be their flagship EVs, until the launch of their much higher volume sedans. Very much how Tesla launched the Model S and X before the higher volume Model 3.

Jaguar on the other hand, fumbled and tried to mix the two in a hybrid type of suv/5-door sedan, which just narrowed their market significantly. Their better option was to do a next gen XE but make it electric to compete with Model 3 the upcoming EV competition in that segment. I just hope Ford does not make the same mistake their first dedicated EV, unless it's an electric next gen Mustang, then it's on.

But it won't be long until the EV sedans/5-doors with great diving dynamics, longer range and beautiful sleek lines are launched, and thats when the real fun begins.....
glyphics likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Ford Kuga

You can't use Tesla as a template, the market circumstances are changing wildly as competition swoops in, this is not where the market is going to settle. There is a reason everybody is responding to Tesla with a utility...Tesla missed the biggest market completely. Ford will be in the market before Tesla! Ford will have an BEV truck before Tesla! The sedan is a dead-end and ultimately that's what imperils Tesla in the face of competitors.

BTW, Mach1 will have two battery capacity options, just found that out.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-05-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Well I still think Lincoln had a winner with the Continental Concept as is, as a 300+ mile EV, inductive hands free home charging, with dual motor AWD, autonomy, Fords technological tour-de-force. Then load it up with Black Label interior appointments and service. "Seriously Quiet Luxury". I don't even want a big car but I want that! And that's what Lincoln needs, is cars that consumers just have to have....they want them.

As is? No! On the new CD6? YES!!
falcon lover and 70 Stang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page