2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bloggin
  • 1 Post By SP1966

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

2018 Toyota Camry: Made in America

2018 Toyota Camry: Made in America, great again
New style, new engines, new focus on driving dynamics.
Autoblog

Even as SUVs and crossovers are taking a bite out of sedan sales, the Toyota Camry still managed to be the best-selling vehicle in 2016 without a truck bed. Impressive, given that it was in the seventh and final year of its current design. And doubly so considering that it was design that was never exactly at the forefront of style, innovation or, critically, the midsize sedan pack.

Imagine, then, what the all-new 2018 Toyota Camry unveiled here in Detroit may be able to accomplish. It represents a fundamental shift for the Camry, from its obviously bolder styling and its reimagined dimensions, to the way Toyota says it will be more involving behind the wheel.

It is 0.7 of an inch wider, the wheelbase is 2 inches longer, the roof and hood height have been lowered by 1 and 1.6 inches, respectively, and the front and rear hip points have been lowered by a similar amount. The result of those dimensional changes should be a feeling of sitting in the Camry rather than on it. The steering wheel also now telescopes further (applause from the tall folks in the back), and the hood, cowl and dashboard have all been lowered to maintain visibility.

Read more...
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Re: 2018 Toyota Camry: Made in America

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

"Beyond appearances, Toyota calls the TNGA platform that underpins this Camry “a structural reform movement for the entire company that will result in cars that are more dynamic, athletic, and fun to drive.” It also claims that, with the new building blocks, “drivers will notice the dramatic improvements within the first few seconds of driving.” Given that previous generations of the Camry evolved so subtly, that’s a bold pronouncement. But, based on the level of improvement we’ve seen in the latest, fourth-generation Prius—the only model with that platform to make it to production so far—we’ll take it seriously."
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

@Bloggin for posting ... ... couldn't bring myself to

...actually very curious about seeing that interior in person (well, not red...)
swiped via CarSpyShots:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-09-2017 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Ford Explorer

One of the better designs to come out of Toyota/Lexus in some time, even so I don't care for it.
Darlene likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 AM
Ford Sport Ka

To my eyes, there's something awkward about the rear doors and the C-pillar. But maybe it will grow on me...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Ford Falcon

Big improvement over the previous one, but the styling still needs some cleaning up.

Toyota: Making Sedan Rooflines Low Again?

I like how Toyota is lowering the rooflines, hoods, trunks and beltlines of their new models (New Camry, New Lexus LS) without sacrificing interior space.

The new 2018 Camry has about the same overall height as the last gen Fusion sedan, one of the last Ford sedans with a height of under 57 inches.

Last edited by AM222; 01-10-2017 at 07:25 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

The first Camry that i actually like it. Bold, modern, different.

I love the "two tone" paint work in the white car, the body in white and the roof and C pillar in black. I hope more automakers will play with this trend in the future.

I hate the grille in the red (sport versión?) car. Is a modified Lexus "Predator" grille with some differents details, but the shape is the same. Is a shame... The rest of the car is very atractive.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Focus RS WRC

I don't like it.... (I know, big surprise.)

BUT ... it would seem Toyota is designing these with NASCAR in mind ... or am I the only 1 to get that vibe looking at the photos? That rear deck, specifically the spoiler area, reminds me of the "round" Tauruses.....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"No good news in the news this morning" | Lacy J Dalton | 'Black Coffee'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page