Baltimore Autoshow - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Ford Flex

Baltimore Autoshow

I took my son to the Baltimore Autoshow this weekend. Well worth the trip, and tickects were only $10. we got a $2 discount by showing our MTA lightrail ticket stubs (which only cost $3.20 round trip and avoided paying $20 or more for parking.) lady had extra discount passes near the gate for $2 off, so we got in for only $6 each...what a bargain.

First display inside was Hyundai, and I walked right passed a new Sonata before I realized what it was. It sure doesn't look as curvey or coupe like as the pictures. I wasn't impressed with the interior, and in the back seat, my head rubbed the top liner. I am only 5'11" (though I see to be taller than quite a few people I know who claim to be 6') and I would not be comfortable riding back there. None of their new CUVs stood out, and would blend in with everything out there already.

Suburu had a good display, and I thought the new Forrester seemed smallish in the back considering it's larger outward appearance. Legacy Wagon seems a better buy.

Acura has really cool looking back ends, but the front ends are so beaky bizzare, that even my son didn't even bother sitting in one.

Kia Forte and Soul are cool looking. Soul has more room than it looks like.

BMW had a big display, and the 5 series was very nice inside. It seemed roomier than I expected.

Jaguar XF did not impress me at all. Interior did not look anywhere close to the same class and quality of the XJ nearby, and it seemd smaller than the Fusion inside.

Mazda6 looks great on the outside and just mediocre inside. the Mazda Speed3 hatch was a great matchup to the VW golf nearby. Mazda CR7 and CR9 still look fresh, and newer than most new stuff coming out now.

Chevy Malibu seemed comfortable but though the interior was modern looking, there were they used too much hard plastic, or generic parts bin items.
Cobalt looked bland and lonely

Buick Lacrosse was spacious inside, and the interior looked nice, but with the wrap around dash, the door to dash gap is right in the sightline of the driver, and it seemed huge.

They had a new Regal there on a turntable, and it looks too small and cheap to be a buick. I swear the old Skylark looked roomier.

Lincoln had a new MKX on a turntable, and it was just awesome looking. I liked the rear end treatment, which looks very classy and upscale.The new front is just stunning on the MKX, and seems perfectly proportioned.

The MKT has a wonderful interior, and could match up favorably to anything.
If I could only have 1 vehicle now, and won the lottery, I would buy this.

MKZ is much better inside than it was before, and I like that it kept a more formal center stack layout, while adding a modern dash and dials. This would be my choice for an everyday driving car (again...if I had the $).

MKS seemed more confined inside than the MKZ. The center stack is too wide and tall for my taste, and you feel like you are driving a smaller car. Too small inside for the target audience for sure.
The black plastic on the center stack where the Lincoln nameplate sits, is too cheap looking. Even the back seats did not seem any roomier than the MKZ when the driver seat was adjusted to my frame.

Mercury Milan was also very nice, but it seemed closer to Fusion than MKZ.
Without being able to start the car and see the electronic dash diplays, I was not able to judge how well the Hybrid diplay looked.
Exterior still seems a step down from the older model.
The rear looks smaller than Fusion/MKZ because of the rear light design.

Ford.
Too crowded to get in the vehicles...this was the only nameplate that was swamped with visitors. They had a new Fiesta hatch, but just on a turntable, and not touchable.
I finally got to sit in the Taurus, and it seemed very close in layout to the MKS. Still too tight inside for such a large vehicle, though the trunk could fit 3more people.
Flex seems so much roomier, and I sat in the third row seat easily having leg and headroom. It feels roomier than it looks in the third row. I really doubted the legroom as I was getting in, but it was fine I sat down. This model had 2 seat in the second row, and an aisle in the middle. It was easier to get to the third row than the Honda minivan that had a similar setup, and seemed roomier back there too.

SOme missing makes: Nissan, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Mercedes, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, Audi (which was odd since VW was there).

A good show and a good day spent.
Ford seems to be on the right track, and by the number of people there, the public agrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Ford Kuga

Re: Baltimore Autoshow

Hi Logun,
Thank you for this post. It seems foreign companies are snooty and ignore smaller markets.

Please post some pictures

Your impression of the Taurus are exactly mine. I got to drive the SHO, and its a great vehicle to drive. The engine is powerful and revs like a dream.

As for the La Crosse, the A pillar was my only complaint, otherwise the vehicle is topnotch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:15 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Thanks for virtual tour, Logan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
...Kia Forte and Soul are cool looking. Soul has more room than it looks like...

...Buick Lacrosse was spacious inside, and the interior looked nice, but with the wrap around dash, the door to dash gap is right in the sightline of the driver, and it seemed huge.
didn't see/notice the Soul at this year's local show - liked it last year BUT the Forte was my biggest disappointment - just seemed a LOT cheaper in person than in pix

wish I'd get a chance to check out the XF - only saw it on a turntable way back when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
As for the La Crosse, the A pillar was my only complaint, otherwise the vehicle is topnotch.
I liked the LaX a LOT - very roomy & not claustrophobic in back (unlike the VW CC )
&
Mbuku, have you sat in a Camaro? Those A-pillars scared the 'merde' out of me
did NOT have any problem in the LaX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

Well I guess I can not wait to post about the NY Auto Show. I am trying to win tickets like I did last year and they better have the Fiesta on the ground so I can sit in this thing. If they don't, then this will be the THIRD Ford I have bought without test driving it, second preorder without testing it.

To add my comment on Kia because we have one now in our area...........the Forte looks like a cheap Civic, and the Soul would be the only Kia I would actually buy for myself if Ford was not my only choice of vehicle to buy. I think Kia is a good starter brand for a cheap car, but other than that I hate to see them in about 5-10 years unless they continue to refresh and make their vehicles better.

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autoshow, baltimore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page