Updated 2-Texas State Fair 2010: New Engines and Models for the F-150 - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Updated 2-Texas State Fair 2010: New Engines and Models for the F-150

Media testing is complete and reports will be coming very soon.

I could not wait however, and I wanted to throw some of the media comments out there.
In addition, the fuel economy for the boosted V6 was as high as 32.5mpg and as low as 21.5mpg. Averaged out, that is about 27. Nothing official yet, but 25mpg highway certainly is believeable.

From the media tests:

Don Sherman, Automobile magazine: “A lot of people had their doubts about EcoBoost when you first started talking about it. But you've erased a lot of that doubt since. With this truck, you've erased all doubt.”

Mike Levine, Pickuptrucks.com: “The 3.7 is the hot ticket. It is going to sell more than you think it will …The EcoBoost had the best performance, best steering and best everything.”

Jim Frank, MotorWeek: “I love an engine that doesn't feel like it is working too hard...and the EcoBoost is just that. Effortless. You don’t have to even worry about acceleration in the 3.5-(liter). I had it in manual mode and it felt like I was driving a sports car – literally!”

Chris Sawyer, Carsincontext.com (on the 3.5-liter): “It's the little engine that could. I could write a children's book on your EcoBoost.”

Greg Whale, NewCarTestDrive.com: “The 3.7 is a very rev-happy motor. The performance is terrific. What an excellent transmission. You don't even notice the shifts … The F-150 is the most confident in towing among all the vehicles we tested today.”

Stuart Bourdon, Trailer Boats magazine: “In the EcoBoost truck, the power comes on so smoothly. And you don't even feel the transmission shift … The 3.7 is very surprising. It's quick and really peppy. The 3.5 liter hauls a**. The F-150's interior is excellent and the seats are the best of the trucks here. When I sat down in the Chevy Silverado and looked at that dash, I thought, "Wow! It's 1980 again.' ”

Pete Erikson, Drivers Talk Radio: “There is no longer any base truck or any base engine. All the engines are extremely capable. I think the 3.7 offers the best blend of performance and value. I was really surprised at how strong it is. In my view, it's no longer about the number of cylinders. It is about capability. Now, the F-150 has an engine for everybody.”

David Goodspeed, AutoWorld: “With the EcoBoost engine, there's power wherever you want it. We pulled trailers over some hills and steep inclines, and the EcoBoost was right there. Still, I think it may take some time to convince people it's time to give up their V8s.”

Dan Edmunds, Edmunds.com: “The EcoBoost engine offers great trailering performance and leaves nothing lacking. The EPAS system is very well balanced. I hear a little cabin moan, but it is nothing objectionable.”

Bruce Smith, ProPickup Magazine: “The EcoBoost truck towing a trailer is as steady as if it is on rails. It pulled effortlessly on grades. The transmission didn’t have any need to go to a lower gear to hold the grade. The suspension has tight control on yaw and pitch. But cruising at about 2,000 (rpm), I noticed, a slight booming moan. In contrast, the Silverado has a very nervous ride. The Silverado steering wheel motion will wear you out over a long drive, and the vehicle felt like it was skating all over the road.”

Javier Fueyo, Editorial Televisa: “Towing a trailer with the F-150 EcoBoost is as easy as driving a big sedan. It felt no different with the trailer back there … Toyota's interior is filled with cheap materials. And there's big difference in engine noise.”

Dan Carney, MSNBC.com: “The EcoBoost delivers. You proved that today. The challenge will be how you market the engine to people who only know V8s.”

Mike Allen, Popular Mechanics: “The EcoBoost powertrain is smooth and quiet. The transmission operates seamlessly in the background. You don't notice it.”

Gina Woods, Open Road Radio: “The 3.7 smokes the Silverado's V6 and V8. I really like the trailer naming feature. This will be a very useful tool for people who tow often.”

Edward Sanchez, Truckin' magazine: “I tested all four of the new engines. This is best truck lineup in the business by far. You've sent everyone back to the drawing board. The 3.5 is the easy answer of what is my favorite engine. The 3.7 is peaky and has some nice zip to it. But the 5.0 is sweet, solid and it is going to do very well. It's what truckers want.”

Jim Kircher, Government Engineering Journal: “Right out of the chute, the 3.5 responsive, firm and secure.”

Jeremy Korzeniewski, AutoBlog: “The 3.5 liter has plenty of power. No one will be hurting for power in this truck. Power is definitely not lacking in this truck. The FX4 feels superior in every way to the GM truck. GM feels like weak sauce.”

Mike Sutton, Car & Driver: “The EcoBoost has strong acceleration. It is smooth and seamless. This is really quiet, a very impressive standout and noticeably more refined than other trucks. There is going to be a real opportunity with EcoBoost to customize the exhaust and performance. With the six-speed transmission, the MPG is very impressive. I found the 4.2-inch LCD screen very useful. Not only is it packed with information, but it is more intuitive than GM's.”

Marty Padgett, High Gear Media: “You guys did an outstanding job with EPAS. This is one of the best applications, and it is better than many of the cars I have driven. Of the new engines, EcoBoost would be the one I would buy. Performance is exceptionally strong. Acceleration onto the highway was a surprise. If I could get a consistent 22 mpg from it I would be very happy.”

Al Vinikour, Freelance: “Compared with the F-150, the Chevy trailer tow is very unstable and difficult to maintain in the lane. The trailer chucks forward and backwards on the Chevy. There's plenty of power in reserve in the EcoBoost for passing on the highway.”

Kurt Lawton, Progressive Farmer: “The 3.5-liter EcoBoost is really a solid engine. It has effortless power. I think there is an application for my readers who are primarily grain farmers. It is going to take some mindset changing. But I think it is doable. They have to get this 'Must have a V8' thing out of their heads." On the 3.5-liter: "This is a performance motor that is fun to drive. The Eco part is just a bonus. This is too fun.”

Brandon Gillogly, Truckin' Magazine: “The 3.7 is energetic at the top end. Dealers should have customers tip in to differentiate from Chevy. I can not hear the turbos, but is that a good thing or a bad? The 3.5 delivers power really well.”

Bob Cox, Fort Worth Star-Telegram: “The 3.7 is louder than the Chevy (V6 that I own), but it is more powerful. The 3.5, once you drive it, is great.”

Mark Vaughn, AutoWeek: “A pickup truck with a V-6 that revs to 7,000 RPM…that's remarkable.”

Ken Brubaker, Four Wheeler Magazine on the 3.5-liter: “The motor takes your breath away. The most surprising thing I saw is how strong it pulls through the gears.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Edward Sanchez, Truckin' magazine: “I tested all four of the new engines. This is best truck lineup in the business by far. You've sent everyone back to the drawing board. The 3.5 is the easy answer of what is my favorite engine. The 3.7 is peaky and has some nice zip to it. But the 5.0 is sweet, solid and it is going to do very well. It's what truckers want.”
I am in fact, Edward Sanchez of Truckin' Magazine (technically, truckinweb.com). That's a slight paraphrase of what I said, but essentially correct. I have chosen to honor Ford's requested embargo of driving impressions until Monday. But I've already done a complete, detailed write-up on my impressions that will be running on the Truckin' Blog as well as the Automotive.com blog.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
FORD ECOBOOST JOINS F-150 LINEUP, DELIVERS UNBEATABLE CAPABILITY, POWER AND FUEL ECONOMY

The 2019 F-150 marks 8-years using the 3.5 EcoBoost in the truck.
I'd say Ford made an excellent decision back then!
falcon lover likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010, 2texas, engines, f150, fair, models, state, updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page