LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Frankfurt 2011: Jaguar C-X16

Jaguar C-X16 concept revealed [w/video]
By Damon Lavrinc
Sep 6th 2011
Autoblog.com

If you're wondering about the future of the XK, this isn't it. No, what Jaguar is set to reveal at the Frankfurt Motor Show next week is far more ambitious. This is Jag's Porsche Cayman-fighting two-seater – a Jaguar coupe you can actually afford.

Powered by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 putting out 376 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, the C-X16 concept takes Jaguar's great heritage of supercharging into the next century with the addition of a "Push to Pass" hybrid system controlled through a steering wheel-mounted button.

Full text at link

Press Release:

C-X16 PRODUCTION CONCEPT REDEFINES JAGUAR SPORTS CARS

C-X16 is a bold statement of Jaguar's future design and technological intent
A compact, rear-wheel drive, two-seater, with a true sporting character, underpinned by immensely strong aluminium architecture – perfect 50:50 weight distribution
Powered by an innovative supercharged 3.0-litre V6 producing 380 PS (280 kW) and 332 lb ft (450 Nm) of torque
Hybrid system controlled by a steering-wheel mounted 'Push to Pass' button boosts output by 70 kW and 235 Nm
Top speed of 186 mph, 0-62 mph in 4.4 seconds and 50-75 mph acceleration in 2.1 seconds with CO2 emissions of 165 g/km
Jaguar has released details of the C-X16 concept ahead of its world debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Looking firmly to the future, the C-X16 marks a new chapter for Jaguar. The two-seater concept has inspired new advances in design, in engineering and in vehicle technology to create the most compact and responsive Jaguar in a generation. A hybrid, the C-X16 combines searing performance with beautifully realised styling.

Adrian Hallmark, Global Brand Director, Jaguar Cars: "The C-X16 embodies the established Jaguar strengths of sensual design, animal-like agility and inspirational performance and combines these with attributes that set us on a course to create sustainable sports cars of the future."

Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar Cars: "Jaguars have always been dramatically different. With the C-X16 we have moved the current award-winning design language on to the next generation, creating a car that is the very essence of future Jaguar performance."

Under the muscular clamshell bonnet is a next-generation supercharged V6 petrol engine producing 380 PS (280kW) and 332 lb ft (450 Nm) of torque. Already boasting a high specific power output of 126 PS-per-litre, the performance of the C-X16 is further supplemented by a Formula 1-inspired hybrid boost system with a steering-wheel mounted button for on-demand acceleration.

Integrated into the eight-speed gearbox is a motor generator which draws power from a 1.6kWh battery pack mounted behind the seats for ideal 50:50 weight distribution. Charged through a brake energy regeneration system, the batteries allow the motor to provide an additional 95 PS (70 kW) and173 lb ft (235 Nm).

Mounted in an aluminium chassis structure, the result is 0-62 mph acceleration in 4.4 seconds, a top speed of 186 mph and acceleration from 50-75 mph of 2.1 seconds. The C-X16 is also able to travel at speeds of up to 50 mph under electric power alone and has CO2 emissions of 165 g/km.

The C-X16 measures 4,445 mm in length, 2,048 mm in width and 1,297 mm in height and has a wheelbase measuring 2,622 mm. In terms of overall length, the C-X16 is the smallest Jaguar created since 1954 and the XK120.

The C-X16 will be presented at the Jaguar Land Rover press conference in Hall Five at the Frankfurt Motor Show on Tuesday September 13 at 09:15 CET.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Frankfurt 2011: Jaguar C-X16

the description sounds GREAT
"...and acceleration from 50-75 mph of 2.1 seconds**. The C-X16 is also able to travel at speeds of up to 50 mph under electric power alone and has CO2 emissions of 165 g/km..."
and the exterior looks much better than I thought from earlier pix
BUT
imho it's a bit anonymous - like there's no real emphatic JagUar-ness and it could almost be any brand

&
here are the dimensions converted to inches (by me)
length 175" (Focus sedan 178.5"/hatch 171.6")
wheelbase 103.228"
width 80.629"
height 31.063"

** would love to do that just to say "Engage" in a Jean-Luc Picard voice while pushing the button 505 lbft of total torque!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Not sure how I feel about those double scoops on side of the lower intake, love the rest of it though!

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
the description sounds GREAT
"...and acceleration from 50-75 mph of 2.1 seconds**. The C-X16 is also able to travel at speeds of up to 50 mph under electric power alone and has CO2 emissions of 165 g/km..."
and the exterior looks much better than I thought from earlier pix
BUT
imho it's a bit anonymous - like there's no real emphatic JagUar-ness and it could almost be any brand

&
here are the dimensions converted to inches (by me)
length 175" (Focus sedan 178.5"/hatch 171.6")
wheelbase 103.228"
width 80.629"
height 31.063"

** would love to do that just to say "Engage" in a Jean-Luc Picard voice while pushing the button 505 lbft of total torque!
I agree. It looks good, but I think some of the design cues are straying too far from what I consider to be typical "Jaguar". The XF sedan was a modern looking design departure for the brand, but it still looked like a Jaguar to me. I think the current XJ is a total design mess; I don't find it attractive at all. Jaguar nailed the front end design on the current XJ, but everything aft of the B-pillar is hideous. I was glad to see that Jaguar finally broke away from replicating the same tired retro inspired design for the new XJ, but I think the resulting car could have been much more attractive. As far as the C-X16: I think the overall shape is nice and appropriately "Jaguar", but the styling of the headlight/taillight units diminish the "Jaguar-ness" factor quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of the front fascia treatment either. Jaguar vehicles should be somewhat aggressive, but still have a sense of elegance about them. This concept has too much of a "boy-racer" vibe about it. Basically, if Jaguar were to tidy up some of the details on this concept, I think it would look completely appropriate for the brand. I'm glad to see the brand drop its repetitive retro tendencies, but I do want to see them keep the "aggressively elegant" character that I think defines the brand.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Not sure how I feel about those double scoops on side of the lower intake, love the rest of it though!
I'm sure how i feel about those scoops: ill

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Focus RS WRC

I kinda like the double scoop in the front. It gives the car some exotic-ness to the design. Perhaps this will show up on the sedans.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS40 View Post
I kinda like the double scoop in the front. It gives the car some exotic-ness to the design. Perhaps this will show up on the sedans.
i hope not

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Lincoln had better get its coupe out on the streets before this hits the streets if it wants my money. I like the looks, and the idea of a Jaguar that doesn't cost an absolute fortune new.

Donne e motori, gioie e dolori (translation: if it's got wheels or t*ts, it will give you problems)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLegroom View Post
Lincoln had better get its coupe out on the streets before this hits the streets if it wants my money. I like the looks, and the idea of a Jaguar that doesn't cost an absolute fortune new.
really?
a 2-seater smaller than a Focus sedan?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011, cx16, frankfurt, jaguar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page