Porsche Taycan - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Porsche Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
...yes, as someone who drives an EV every day, I'm well aware of their limitations. EVs currently are not the best choice for every single person in the world, but they are for a large portion of people. They don't have to be the best at everything to be the best over-all choice. Sitting around for an hour a couple times per year waiting for a long range charge is no different than waiting around for an hour a coupe times per year to get an oil change.
As an "early adaptor," you probably have given much thought to your purchase and its use. Your presence here indicates to me that you are, at least to some degree, an enthusiast. I could be wrong but my guess is that you understand that most auto consumers are not like you, me or most of us here.

The day is coming when we may no longer have a choice between ICE and BEV. My only point was that, in a future BEV marketplace, the perception of a quick charging time might be a selling point that would convince a consumer to favor one brand over another and that Porsche was smart to emphasize that feature early on. Plus, my guess is that most people do not truly look forward to the wait, whether it's an oil change or a charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Quote:
...yes, as someone who drives an EV every day, I'm well aware of their limitations. EVs currently are not the best choice for every single person in the world, but they are for a large portion of people. They don't have to be the best at everything to be the best over-all choice. Sitting around for an hour a couple times per year waiting for a long range charge is no different than waiting around for an hour a coupe times per year to get an oil change.
As an "early adaptor," you probably have given much thought to your purchase and its use. Your presence here indicates to me that you are, at least to some degree, an enthusiast. I could be wrong but my guess is that you understand that most auto consumers are not like you, me or most of us here.

The day is coming when we may no longer have a choice between ICE and BEV. My only point was that, in a future BEV marketplace, the perception of a quick charging time might be a selling point that would convince a consumer to favor one brand over another and that Porsche was smart to emphasize that feature early on. Plus, my guess is that most people do not truly look forward to the wait, whether it's an oil change or a charge.
...I hear you, I’m simply saying that quick charging is something used a couple of dozen times over the life of ownership for the vast majority of people. It is not important in day to day operation. Range/efficiency/tech are higher up the ladder. Quick charging isn’t far down the list of important features, but the law of diminishing returns still applies here.

Tesla has consciously chosen to not go to that high rate based on their years of real world experience selling BEVs. That ought to bring you just a little bit of pause. Regardless of what you think of Tesla, they are easily the most experienced in the field re: charging infrastructure.
glyphics likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagorgia View Post
These might be closer to the production model.
Production version will have front-hinged rear doors.
Final body with camo.

Without the camo...

Last edited by AM222; 02-02-2019 at 09:05 PM.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagorgia View Post
These might be closer to the production model.
Production version will have front-hinged rear doors.
Final body with camo.

Without the camo...
...I’m sure it will be awesome. With 90kWh pack and what will likely be less efficiency, I’m betting it will fall a little short of 300mi EPA, maybe 270-280. But that roofline in the back, I’m not sure my 12yr old would fit comfortably back there.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
...Im sure it will be awesome. With 90kWh pack and what will likely be less efficiency, Im betting it will fall a little short of 300mi EPA, maybe 270-280. But that roofline in the back, Im not sure my 12yr old would fit comfortably back there.

Come on! Its a Porsche, a sport car. If you want to buy and drive a refrigerator... ahem...ahem... a normal car for the family , buy a Tesla.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Come on! Its a Porsche, a sport car. If you want to buy and drive a refrigerator... ahem...ahem... a normal car for the family , buy a Tesla.

...funny how the Model 3PD turns in the exact same numbers the Porsche sports car is aiming for...

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) < 3.5 sec
Top speed > 250 km/h (155 mph)
Range > 500 km (300 Miles)

...not bad for a refrigerator.
70 Stang likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:17 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
...funny how the Model 3PD turns in the exact same numbers the Porsche sports car is aiming for...

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) < 3.5 sec
Top speed > 250 km/h (155 mph)
Range > 500 km (300 Miles)

...not bad for a refrigerator.

Well... to see how I explain ... if you grab a refrigerator and drive it to 200 mph accelerating from 0 to 100 in 2 sec, it will never be as fun as doing the same in a car that looks and feels sporty and luxurious, that awakens the passion and desire to have it. I do not know if it is understood ... A Porsche is a Porsche for much more than the speed it reaches or how it is driven. The same happens with the Mustang or the Corvette. Tesla? A refrigerator that goes fast. But nothing more.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Well... to see how I explain ... if you grab a refrigerator and drive it to 200 mph accelerating from 0 to 100 in 2 sec, it will never be as fun as doing the same in a car that looks and feels sporty and luxurious, that awakens the passion and desire to have it. I do not know if it is understood ... A Porsche is a Porsche for much more than the speed it reaches or how it is driven. The same happens with the Mustang or the Corvette. Tesla? A refrigerator that goes fast. But nothing more.
...clearly you've never read a review on the Model 3. It has received wide praise for its driving characteristics as it goes around corners as well as it goes in a straight line. If you don't like how it looks inside and out, that's a defensible position, but slacking on it for performance or drivability is contrary to reality.

It is simply a less sumptuous sports sedan than the Porsche will be, but with a giant wad of cash left over. That hardly makes it a refrigerator.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:55 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
...clearly you've never read a review on the Model 3. It has received wide praise for its driving characteristics as it goes around corners as well as it goes in a straight line. If you don't like how it looks inside and out, that's a defensible position, but slacking on it for performance or drivability is contrary to reality.

It is simply a less sumptuous sports sedan than the Porsche will be, but with a giant wad of cash left over. That hardly makes it a refrigerator.

Bingo! Bingo!. You just understood what I say. The Tesla has nothing inside or outside that, for me, is attractive, luxurious, sensual, sporty or desirable. It is just an electric machine (poorly assembled and of very poor quality) that goes very fast and that has some advanced autonomy features. That is all. And that can be done by a refrigerator with the electric motors Tesla has!

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Bingo! Bingo!. You just understood what I say. The Tesla has nothing inside or outside that, for me, is attractive, luxurious, sensual, sporty or desirable. It is just an electric machine (poorly assembled and of very poor quality) that goes very fast and that has some advanced autonomy features. That is all. And that can be done by a refrigerator with the electric motors Tesla has!
...well, lets put it this way, it has the highest CR satisfaction score of any passenger vehicle, with a 92 rating, slightly ahead of a Porsche 911, and far far ahead of luxury class competitors from established marques, like the Mercedes C-Class. So, maybe you should actually see one in person and drive one before arriving at a conclusion. I know, that's crazy talk.
falcon lover and 70 Stang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page