First Test: 2011 Ford Shelby GT350 Prototype - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

First Test: 2011 Ford Shelby GT350 Prototype

We drive many a Mustang. In fact, due to the seeming never-ending number of variants, we might test more Mustangs than anything else. Our intern is out mining salt (or equivalent) at the moment, so he can't check the truthiness of my assertion. But I'd bet money on it. Maybe only five bucks, but money just the same. The point is, we test a whole lot of them. And guess what? The Shelby GT350 is pretty dang fast. You might even say historically fast.

We'll get to just how fast momentarily, but first, let's discuss what constitutes the new GT350. It's based on the 2011 Mustang GT, the one with the 5.0-liter 32-valve V8 that lost a race around Streets of Willow by less than one-tenth of one second to a BMW M3 (America's M3?, October 2010). That's one heck of a starting platform for Shelby, says us. Add to that a Whipple supercharger, Borla exhaust, adjustable Ford Racing dampers, adjustable camber plates, a serious set of Baer 6-piston brakes up front, not to mention Eradispeed rotors out back, and you've got yourself a very serious recipe for some Shelby style butt-kicking.

You've also got a whole bunch of ground effects, a humongous power bulge atop the hood, a ducktail wing, reworked taillight surrounds, covers over the rear side windows, and a couple of unique GT350 badges. Plus there's those giant skunk stripes. The GT350 looks a touch boy-racerish; that's undeniable. Still, it's one of the very last cars you'd want to see in your rearview mirror. Let's just call the bodywork a bit much, though intimidating. As for the interior, Shelby slapped some blue leather over the black leather and stitched Carroll's signature into the head rests. Oh, there's a signed chassis plate in front of the shifter, too. Please note: The car we tested is a pre-production vehicle. The production car has different, better-integrated panels plus a different badge or two.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...st/engine.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 BMW X5, 2010 Weistec/Renntech E63 AMG (800hp on 93 octane), 1999 Mazda 626 (visitor beater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT
Re: First Test: 2011 Ford Shelby GT350 Prototype

How is it that a thread about a test drive of an iconic Ford product ends up in the Competition Discussion"Other" - American Automakers Discussion???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

I don't know but I posted it in the Suggest A News Article forum...

2014 BMW X5, 2010 Weistec/Renntech E63 AMG (800hp on 93 octane), 1999 Mazda 626 (visitor beater)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
I don't know but I posted it in the Suggest A News Article forum...
Crazy!! LOL

Maybe the person that 'misplaced" the thread believes that Shelby American is important enough to consider it an "Other" American Automaker . . .

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
The Spaminator

It was a tough call because its a Ford tuned by Shelby which is not owned by Ford. A toss-up so to speak.

Infact I believe a person has a buy a Mustang and then send it to Shelby to get it retrofitted.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
It was a tough call because its a Ford tuned by Shelby which is not owned by Ford. A toss-up so to speak.

Infact I believe a person has a buy a Mustang and then send it to Shelby to get it retrofitted.
Aus, its a Ford

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011, ford, gt350, mustang, prototype, shelby, test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page