Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 AM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,596
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwll313wll View Post
I agree with you.. but what choice did they have other than a minimum update until the new navigator is ready?
I understand what Lincoln was faced with, and in my opinion it is actually less appealing aesthetically, and today as yesterday I personally find no compelling reason to purchase a Navigator. Again my frustration is more of a personal nature being that I as a Lincoln enthusiast can not support Lincoln with my hard earned money in a class that I am as we speak considering for my next vehicle.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
germeezy1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 532
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
At this point Ford is obviously focused more on retaining existing customers rather than the conquest of new customers, and for Lincoln's faithful the 3.5 EB will be a notable upgrade from the boat anchor 5.4 3V.

Can you answer a question for me truthfully? Are you a large luxury SUV purchaser, and do you intend to purchase one in the near future perhaps? Have you ever personally owned a Escalade and/ or Range Rover after visiting Lincoln first to give them yet another chance to earn your business?

Because when conversations center around things like fuel economy in a segment that is much about image, and cache is it is about actual competence it tells me that perhaps there are many who do not understand the buyers who purchase in these segments. A vehicle that is amazingly desirable, and aspirational in spite of or because of a brand's image is what buyers look for in this segment.

An Expedition or a Tahoe at a significant savings can do everything functionally that an Escalade or Navigator can. If you do not understand the intangible appeal that would propel someone to spend $20,000 more for a vehicle with deplorable fuel economy , and no functional benefits over vehicles one or two classes below it would be quite impossible to understand buyers in this segment.
I am not in the market for a big luxury SUV but Ive been driving a 2011 Cadillac Escalade for 6 months and before that I was driving a 2009 QX56 (which I loved). But thats not important. You never gave reason as to why you think it needs a V8, ESPECIALLY considering the V6 is more powerful than the outgoing engine. ESPECIALLY considering the V6 tows 1,000lbs more than the 2015 Escalade, and will get a better EPA rating. So why does it need a V8? Because it sounds good?
Willwll313wll is offline  
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 532
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
I understand what Lincoln was faced with, and in my opinion it is actually less appealing aesthetically, and today as yesterday I personally find no compelling reason to purchase a Navigator. Again my frustration is more of a personal nature being that I as a Lincoln enthusiast can not support Lincoln with my hard earned money in a class that I am as we speak considering for my next vehicle.
Understandable
Willwll313wll is offline  
 
post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 AM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,596
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwll313wll View Post
I am not in the market for a big luxury SUV but Ive been driving a 2011 Cadillac Escalade for 6 months and before that I was driving a 2009 QX56 (which I loved). But thats not important. You never gave reason as to why you think it needs a V8, ESPECIALLY considering the V6 is more powerful than the outgoing engine. ESPECIALLY considering the V6 tows 1,000lbs more than the 2015 Escalade, and will get a better EPA rating. So why does it need a V8? Because it sounds good?
So then you understand that fuel economy in, and of itself is NOT a crucial part of the purchase decision in this segment? For Lincoln's mission with this MCE it does not need a V8, and at this point if it was appealing aesthetically even I a staunch V8 advocate could possibly overlook its omission. Personally I would like to see a revised 6.2 become a SVT , HD, Lincoln exclusive engine, and debut in the all aluminum 2017 Navigator. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an optional Ecoboost but there are many that do desire a top trim level with a powerful V8 as even Mercedes, and Range Rover who offer 6 cylinder variants understand.

I sincerely believe that the money that a notable Lincoln Navigator would print for Lincoln would support a notable budget for Lincoln car development that is needed. With the Autobiography Range Rover reaching a heretofore unheard of $180,000 price a Navigator done with excellence in mind would be a halo, and be amazing profitable which are often quite divergent expectations.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
germeezy1 is offline  
post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 532
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
So then you understand that fuel economy in, and of itself is NOT a crucial part of the purchase decision in this segment? For Lincoln's mission with this MCE it does not need a V8, and at this point if it was appealing aesthetically even I a staunch V8 advocate could possibly overlook its omission. Personally I would like to see a revised 6.2 become a SVT , HD, Lincoln exclusive engine, and debut in the all aluminum 2017 Navigator. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an optional Ecoboost but there are many that do desire a top trim level with a powerful V8 as even Mercedes, and Range Rover who offer 6 cylinder variants understand.
While I dont think fuel economy is as much a deal breaker in this segment as it is in others, I do think its more important now than ever. I think people, including those that can afford this trucks are more conscious about when, how, and where they spend they money. People are more afraid of the economy now than before. Luxury buyers, especially ones that buy Lincolns care about their money. Lincolns are cheaper than their competitors and that's one of there selling points. Having better EPA numbers WILL help sell this vehicle. In my opinion...
Willwll313wll is offline  
post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 532
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
I sincerely believe that the money that a notable Lincoln Navigator would print for Lincoln would support a notable budget for Lincoln car development that is needed. With the Autobiography Range Rover reaching a heretofore unheard of $180,000 price a Navigator done with excellence in mind would be a halo, and be amazing profitable which are often quite divergent expectations.
You're right but Lincoln can't sell vehicles at that price right now. They just aren't to that point. And I think they are taking the proper steps to get to that point.
Willwll313wll is offline  
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,596
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwll313wll View Post
While I dont think fuel economy is as much a deal breaker in this segment as it is in others, I do think its more important now than ever. I think people, including those that can afford this trucks are more conscious about when, how, and where they spend they money. People are more afraid of the economy now than before. Luxury buyers, especially ones that buy Lincolns care about their money. Lincolns are cheaper than their competitors and that's one of there selling points. Having better EPA numbers WILL help sell this vehicle. In my opinion...
I agree with you, and as I mentioned the demise of the not notable in any way boat anchor 5.4 3V elicited not one tear shed, and is a secondary concern. When I say not a crucial part of the purchase decision I mean that many who buy in this segment have already in their minds decided that fuel economy is not a primary concern. I for instance had no issues with 13 mpg in my 403 hp Escalade which was wretched excess for a 3 person family when my Range Rover with less horsepower often matched it.

The elephant in the room is the GL which offers a segment leader variant for fuel economy, and a segment leader for power as well with the GL63 AMG. My point being that I think that the all new 2017 Navigator should feature an optional smooth , efficient , and latently powerful V8.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
germeezy1 is offline  
post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 AM
Ford Mondeo
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 1,042
Garage
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

As I suspected it looks much better in these full photos than that zoomed shot of the front end yesterday. I honestly think that it's quite cohesive, and while I'm not all that familiar with the outgoing model, I really do quite like what they've done.



Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul8488 is offline  
post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:30 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 532
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
I agree with you, and as I mentioned the demise of the not notable in any way boat anchor 5.4 3V elicited not one tear shed, and is a secondary concern. When I say not a crucial part of the purchase decision I mean that many who buy in this segment have already in their minds decided that fuel economy is not a primary concern. I for instance had no issues with 13 mpg in my 403 hp Escalade which was wretched excess for a 3 person family when my Range Rover with less horsepower often matched it.

The elephant in the room is the GL which offers a segment leader variant for fuel economy, and a segment leader for power as well with the GL63 AMG. My point being that I think that the all new 2017 Navigator should feature an optional smooth , efficient , and latently powerful V8.
I love V8's so I'm here for more of them but I don't think anythings wrong with not having one. Looking at the way things have been going with the downsizing of engines at FoMoCo, I doubt we see a V8 in the next Navigator, especially if its all aluminum. But I guess thats the change of times. I just hope they pull it off and it does more than just compete.
Willwll313wll is offline  
post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 105
Re: Official: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

I think this Navi will do well. I'm sure the addition of the super quiet super powerful EB V6 will be an awesome fit for this rig. I'm glad Ford didn't paste tacky fake wood grain all over the place. The interior has a very clean professional look to it.
ford4life is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Tags
2015, lincoln, navigator, official

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome