LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Happy 50th Birthday to the Ford Mustang

We Celebrate the Original Pony Car
Ford Inside News
April 17, 2014
By: Austin Rutherford

On this day 50 years ago, people lined the windows and doors outside their local Ford dealer in the early morning waiting for the curtains or paper covering up the storefront to come down. For the previous nights before, Ford had bombarded the three major networks with teaser ads for an all-new model. Even on the said morning, Ford launched ads in thousands of newspapers. With the excitement building hourly for the debut, when the curtains and paper fell, the automotive industry would be forever changed.

For many years before, Ford had been looking to introduce a new sports car after the Thunderbird moved to being more of a personal coupe for families. In 1962, under the direction of Lee Iacocca, Ford debuted a small 2-seater, 2 door mid-engine sports car. Its name: Mustang, after the P-51 fighter used in World War II and made famous by pilots like Chuck Yeager and those of the Tuskegee Airmen. The original concept had a simple flaw: it would not have sold that well and Ford needed a volume product.

Ford went back to the drawing board by starting with the compact Falcon. They lengthened the hood, shortened the rear, and designed a new body for the platform. This new design was first shown with the Mustang II show car. With deep press and public support behind the new design, Ford moved ahead to launch a production version in the Spring of 1964.

On April 17, 1964, the production version of the Mustang was first shown at the New York World’s Fair following over a month of production. Ford expected only 100,000 sales in its first year of sales. It ended up selling over three times that many!

The popularity of the Mustang was not only due to the design or even the powertrains; it was the price and the options list. A base Mustang could be bought for under $2,500 USD and from there could be nearly personalized from the available options. Three body styles were offered: hardtop, fastback, and convertible. A Multitude of colors, front end and rear designs, and engines were offered.

The Mustang only took 18 months to sell its first million. It remains as a textbook case of how to launch a product and is widely considered the best nameplate launch of all time. As a response, competitors to capture their own piece of the Mustang-begotten Pony Car segment launched vehicles like the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

A lot else has happened after the launch that continued and accelerated the Mustang’s legacy, but the birth of the legend is at the forefront of its legacy. Though it now seems cliché, Happy 50th Birthday Ford Mustang!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Happy 50th Birthday to the Ford Mustang

Happy birthday, Mustang! It may be time for me to buy my 5th Mustang.

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 PM
News Guru

so the performance/sport version didn't debut at NY??

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Focus RS WRC

When will Ford release power ratings? I'm extremely curious about how much HP and torque the EBI4 will provide. I want to know those ratings on the 5.0L too but the Ecoboost 4 is intriguing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
so the performance/sport version didn't debut at NY??
No, my bad on that. I knew there was a reveal, but did not know about the anniv edition.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Focus RS WRC

Close up hi-res photos at Mustang6g show lots of details I hadn't seen before. The chrome/nickel touches throughout (trim around side windows, trim around taillights, grille bar and corral, door latches, interior door handles, rear badge, etc.) are very successful and I hope most make it as an option for other models, perhaps as the Pony package. Interior details are beautiful. The wheels didn't grab me right away until I saw the pic of them straight on; they are a wonderful update of the old steel 5 spoke wheels common on '60s Mustangs. The rear side windows aren't as successful to my eye; I wish Ford had opted for traditional louvers instead. All in all, a great package.

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Ford Ka

Say this in the flesh at the NY auto show last night. Great job by ford. Just beautiful and classy looking. Best Mustang design in decades.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Focus RS WRC

Pricing: http://blog.caranddriver.com/full-20...cing-revealed/

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
50th, birthday, ford, happy, mustang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page