LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

FIN Exclusive: 2016 Lincoln MkX Spy Shots

We Finally Get a Glimpse of the Next Gen Mid-Size CUV
Ford Inside News
July 24, 2014
By: Austin Rutherford

After just a couple of weeks following the debut of the all-new Ford Edge, FIN has acquired spy shots of its sister vehicle, the 2016 Lincoln MkX. The next generation mid-size luxury crossover will be very important to the resurgent Lincoln brand as the MkX will be their third product for the important Chinese market.

Previewed with a concept shown at the Beijing Auto Show in April, our spy shots show a highly camouflaged vehicle testing in Dearborn, Michigan earlier this year. Though most of the soft points have been hidden, we can tell that the 2016 production model will hold true to the concept's design language, as expected.

The bow-wave split wing grill that debuted on the Lincoln MKZ is retained, as is the slight kick up in the window line just before the C-pillar like the recently launched MkC. The production version appears to retain the pillared side mirrors of the concept as well.

The production version, however, appears to be shorter than the concept indicating it might not ride on a lengthened version of the Edge platform as did the concept. Regardless of final length, this new MkX will ride on the CD4.2 platform that will also underpin the forthcoming 2016 Ford S-Max and Galaxy.

The rear profile of the vehicle is heavily disguised and only gives hints at the tail lamps. That said, a bulge in the camo indicates the rear chin spoiler will be retained for production.

Lincoln never showed pictures of the MkX Conceptís interior, nor do the spy shots.

No engines have been confirmed for the 2016 MkX, but it is a good bet that the 2.3-liter I-4 EcoBoost engine will come standard. Engine noise from the prototype, according to the spy photographers, was that of a V-6. This leads us to believe a Nano family engine (as in the 2.7-liter V-6 EcoBoost) will grace the MkX as an option. Other options or standard equipment should include a panoramic vista roof and Lincoln Drive Control, among others.

The 2016 Lincoln MkX should debut within the next auto season with sales likely starting in mid-2015. Production will continue in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. With Edge production set to begin in China in the near future, however, do not be surprised if the MkX starts production in China as well.

A Big Thank You to DetroitBorg for helping us receive the photos!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: FIN Exclusive: 2016 Lincoln MkX Spy Shots

Too bad those funky directionals on the mirrors didn't make it into production.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #3 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Ford Mondeo

Thanks again to Borg for getting these pics.

The profile appears to remain the same as the current gen Edge/MKX. I have to agree that it definately looks shorter and stubbier versus the concept. It lost the long hood of the concept that gave it that planted look. I know it will keep alot of the design cues of the concept but Lincoln has to stop losing the long hoods or longer wb in the production version as they did in the MKC.

post #4 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Ford Explorer

It'll be nice just like the MKC is, but it would sure be nice if Lincoln would stop teasing with concepts that are so close production in most areas except proportions. I can't help but expect that like the MKC I'll see the production MKX and think its a good looking car, yet always be bothered by what it could have been. The fact that they make those proportion adjustments tells us what they want to build, it's unfortunate they're not allowed to.
post #5 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Even with its shortcomings, it'll still look better than any of its FWD-based competitors. Maybe with the next generation, the MKX will as differentiated from the Edge as so many of us would like it to be.
post #6 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Ford Falcon

Just call me Mr. MKX, LOL.

Glad I could make this happen and give back to those MKX/Edge fans out there

It really does look like a bigger MKC, at least from the visible details.

Notice the integrated exhaust, the flap in the front camo for a camera (like the Edge), a different style of glass roof design than the Edge with roof rails (not a big fan of roof rails, but okay), the lack of a clamshell opening as indicated by the concept, a conventional lower air-**** almost identical in design to the MKC, and those oversized wheels...what size do you think?

Now if you compare it side-by-side with the Edge, you'll see that the door handles are much lower, a look I don't particularly care for on the MKC. The Edge actually has really slick door-handles integrated into the sheet metal sculpting (yeah, it's a thing).

Personally, I prefer the proportions here to the concept, I'm a big fan of the Edge shape, it's perfectly balanced and unique to the Edge/MKX without that typical blocky design of taller SUVs (and the concept MKX). This looks less ordinary to me.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the MKC design because of it's softness and the clamshell rear door which creates an imbalance in the design which is already a little pudgy (dat ass). The MKC may deliver the MKC look but in a more appealing package (for me anyway).

Just to compare camo to camo, here you go.

post #7 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
Just call me Mr. MKX, LOL.

Just to compare camo to camo, here you go.

Mr. MKX, it appears the MKX has a longer front overhang and I can't get over the feeling that the wheelbase is a couple inches longer. Maybe its just the angle of the images that gives the MKX a longer look. I don't know.

Edit: Rear overhang looks quite a bit longer too.
post #8 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Ford Falcon

Well, you don't want to see more front overhang, you want to see less with a longer hood between the base of the windshield and the axle.
post #9 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
Well, you don't want to see more front overhang, you want to see less with a longer hood between the base of the windshield and the axle.
Certainly that's what I would like to see. I'm just pointing out what I do see in those two images, hard to tell for sure until the padding is removed though.
post #10 of 486 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Ford Explorer

That's pretty much what is in the lot across from me. Yup, can't tell a thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2016, exclusive, fin, lincoln, mkx, shots, spy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page