2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Lincoln Continental Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwll313wll View Post
I didn't know the MKZ lamps turned with the wheel.
Yep really neat feature. I remember when the MKS debuted them and the rest of the lineup got it too. It's something they don't advertise for some reason but it's really neat seeing them turn to focus on where you are going.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:56 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I'm bored with this. Make a statement already, if Acura of all brands can do it why in the **** does Lincoln have to cheapen everything? In the Continental Concept's case the headlights were a big part of it's identity, but they're going to toss that to the side for production.

I may not like the compromises necessitated by being the Taurus's big brother, but when it comes to details like the LED headlights there is no excuse IMO. The Continental is Lincoln's statement car, and the statement such small lost details makes is speaks volumes.
Quote:
Another pic

Quote:
Look at the image I quoted, it has projectors. Yes the LEDs will make it to production but once again as an option which no other premium brand I know of does.

My issue with not making LED standard on the Continental is twofold, one is because the Continental is the car that will set the standard for Lincoln products and thus shouldn't be cheapened, and two, because those headlights were a primary design element on the concept. I understand the concept taillights were never going to production, but the face of the car should not have been minimized in an attempt to save a few dollars.

If they dumb down the design then the car will have little impact on the street, it's going to blend in rather than stand out. I hated the MKZ until I started seeing it on the street, it has presence in person. The Continental with those headlights makes a statement, it would get noticed.... if it happens to be one of the cars that gets them.
Quote:
Your statement about no other premium brand that makes LED lamps an option is incorrect. In fact a few premium brands that offers LED lamps don't have it standard on all their vehicles. And you said they were tossing the headlights for production, which is why I posted the pictures, which in fact proves that they aren't. Also, you JUST SAID a couple post ago that they shouldnt make it AWD only because it would make it more expensive and now youre saying they shouldn't cheapen the car and it should set a standard. If you're going to do this than at the very least be consistent. And everyone doesn't like the look of a complex LED lamp design vs LED/projector designs. Nothing wrong with having options.
Quote:
And those headlamps that look like projectors may actually be LED lamps with a simpler design, like the ones on the MKZ, which are standard right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
I agree with both of you but to add fuel to the fire the MKZ has LED lights STANDARD!

Mine has them and I love them! I also love how they turn with the wheel.
Quote:
It's a real possibility that the Continental will have LED lights standard, but just a simpler, less expensive design like the MKZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Jeweled LED lights should be standard on a car of this stature. Not cheaper MKZ-like units IMHO. I think that is all SP is saying. And I agree.
all^this is (partly) why I've been ranting that
- Conti needs to START at $59,900 and
- Lincoln needs a model between the Conti & Z
...before 2022

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Ford Falcon

The MKX and MKC do not have LED projectors which are more modern cars than MKZ. Why offer two different versions of LED headlamps anyway? The MKZ also gets LEDs like the ones on the MKX and Continental but in a different 'quad' pattern, no projectors that I've seen so far.

I think Ford will eventually move to LED as standard on everything, they come standard on Explorer and act as DRLs. I'm assuming LEDs will finally convince ford to turn on DRLs. Ford and Lincoln however are not combining LED and projectors and I'm assuming Ford and Lincoln will eventually eliminate projectors altogether in favor of complex LED reflectors. It provides some design freedom as we are seeing with MKX and Continental, although I think the MKX LED lamps look a little strange, it's like the car has no eyes The only drawback is that you need allot more surface area for LEDs so lamps have to be bigger.

Technically, HIDs are much brighter than LED however so if you want the best light source, stick with HIDs.

As for the Continental, there will be an uber version of it but the baseline is going to be XTS/MKS stuff. Lincoln doesn't need more than 3 sedans in the US and China (MKA, MKZ, Continental). Remember this Continental is still based on a Ford Fusion, this is not exotic luxury car stuff, Lincoln is still just getting its basic shop in order with a VERY tiny budget. It's a little like expecting the Audi A8 to be the same car but based on a Passat, or the CT6 based on an Impala. Continental is low tech luxury, but it's posh luxury with all the amenities inside to make people think twice about them. Once they sell enough cars, then they can spend more money. But for now, they just need to survive. Overspending could kill them and they need to remain approachable with a reasonable price tag.

post #124 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:07 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by iculookn View Post
Spy Shots: 2017 Lincoln Continental
A little less the Bentley clone?
by Jim Dunne on Jul.21, 2015
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...n-continental/
I feel remiss
(not scientific comparo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ConTaurus.jpg (76.1 KB, 56 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:12 AM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I feel remiss
(not scientific comparo)
I don't think anyone ever expected any drastic changes in the car's wheelbase/length, but the Continental does indeed look longer. The sloping roofline of the Continental also means that the greenhouse is likely different.

__________________________________________________ _______________
post #126 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Ford Focus

Lincoln Continental Concept

Quote:
Why would making it heavier and more expensive be a plus? The only reason to do so would be if they believe it would raise the cars status and personally I find that highly questionable. The car is going to be slammed for it's FWD architecture no matter what they do, trying to hide that is impossible and would just put it out of more potential buyers price ranges. And remember, Lincoln is still required by their status to be a value brand.
Same cheap Lincoln models with only the basics available at cut rate based pricing, is that what you are saying? Luxury branding at bargain prices. LOL!

I would like AWD as standard not as option since it only cost around $1,200 more! That in a based model for $60K. So full loaded model non Black label should be low $80K.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #127 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Ford Flex

Maybe it is just the photo angle, but it does seem to have a rather high ground clearance. Maybe AWD will be standard.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #128 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Maybe it is just the photo angle, but it does seem to have a rather high ground clearance. Maybe AWD will be standard.
Pretty sure he's just applying significant throttle, most likely to avoid the spy photographers. He's also turning, causing more body movement.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #129 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Just thinking:

The new face must have been a last minute decision. Or else,

WTF was this?

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #130 of 195 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Wild View Post
Same cheap Lincoln models with only the basics available at cut rate based pricing, is that what you are saying? Luxury branding at bargain prices. LOL!

I would like AWD as standard not as option since it only cost around $1,200 more! That in a based model for $60K. So full loaded model non Black label should be low $80K.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Lincoln desperately needs volume. Will standard AWD change it's FWD based perception? I say no, it'll just raise the price by adding a feature that many in the southern half of the US have no need for. Every review of the Continental is going to begin with some version of "The new Continental is based off of a larger version of the FWD Fusion platform..." no matter if it has AWD standard or not.

The Continental has to be a homerun on it's own to overcome the Lincoln baggage and standard AWD is unlikely to contribute much to that perception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
concept, continental, lincoln, test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page