2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:44 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Lincoln Continental Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
It looks taller too, not as low slung as the concept.

It's also got more sheetmetal above the wheelarches compared to the Concept below.

From the looks of it, it's the Continental Concept's styling adjusted to fit the hard points of the new 2016 (Chinese) Taurus.
Is the roof glass? Notice how the rear part of the roof isn't camoed.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 03:00 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

I think I can see the seam between the rear & front glass roof panes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2PANES.jpg (57.4 KB, 84 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:44 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
Thanks for sharing! It was great to see John Manoogian on this one!

It's nice to know Woodhouse believes Lincoln should be Lincoln in order to be successful in the marketplace. I'm still skeptical about his design abilities, though. He did say this new design language will evolve into a more distinctive and "Lincolnish" DNA. I liked how John McElroy and David discussed the similarities of this car's design philosophy to the famous Continentals the Fords were involved in. I'll give him and his designs a chance.
Also......

I don't believe building on Edsel Ford's European-inspired design philosophy is a good market-based solution. They were able to get away with it when the industry wasn't global, and European brands were uncommon. Today, European brands dominate the luxury car market, and it's really important for challenger brands to heavily differentiate themselves from the establishment. Those early Continentals were certainly beautiful works of art, but they were clearly inspired by European design. I think the 60s Continental really defined Lincoln design. So, either they take cues from that iconic car, or they simply come up with some new, original design ideas. In the end, somebody will look at a Lincoln, and it will be impossible for them to mistaken it (or compare) for any other brand. That should be their #1 goal.

I would love to see a head designer for Lincoln that TRULY has passion towards Lincoln and isn't using the job title as a stepping stone for their career.

post #44 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

you raised a slew of issues in that post, N.R. ....more after the lightening storm ends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

It's nice to know Woodhouse believes Lincoln should be Lincoln in order to be successful in the marketplace. I'm still skeptical about his design abilities, though...
yup + YUP

...He did say this new design language will evolve into a more distinctive and "Lincolnish" DNA. I liked how John McElroy and David discussed the similarities of this car's design philosophy to the famous Continentals the Fords were involved in. I'll give him and his designs a chance...
we don't have a choice - -
-- and imho there's definite DNA from the ContiMKII to Kennedy to our ContiConc

I don't believe building on Edsel Ford's European-inspired design philosophy is a good market-based solution. They were able to get away with it when the industry wasn't global, and European brands were uncommon...
I've always questioned/doubted just how european Edsel's cars were.
Afaik they were significantly larger (do you know WHEN he made his famous trip to Yurpland?)

...Those early Continentals were certainly beautiful works of art, but they were clearly inspired by European design...
"inspired", I agree

...Today, European brands dominate the luxury car market, and it's really important for challenger brands to heavily differentiate themselves from the establishment...
also AGREE!

...I think the 60s Continental really defined Lincoln design...
in any MODERN sense I very much agree
& am amazed they've done so well with the original Zephyr used for inspiration -
- THO - that's MAX!!! imho Horbury's bow-wave split was near-Lame
(edit" and only looked as good as it did compared with J Mays's silly geometric stuff)

...So, either they take cues from that iconic car, or they simply come up with some new, original design ideas. In the end, somebody will look at a Lincoln, and it will be impossible for them to mistaken it (or compare) for any other brand. That should be their #1 goal...
a lofty and most worthy goal
2"thos's"...
- I haven't completely dispensed with the theory that NOthing is truly "New"
- I'm adamant about gradual development of Style. Without that all I see is a one flip after another (note: did NOT use "flop" - diff issue)

...I would love to see a head designer for Lincoln that TRULY has passion towards Lincoln and isn't using the job title as a stepping stone for their career...
I had a pure lack of 'warm-fuzzies'
- I MISS MAX!!!
- might be just D.W.'s manner but he didn't strike me as passionate either
- more over, I got a sense of more administrative capability than design-genius

&
imhO
(not specifically about *sales*)
Max's MKZ has done brilliantly after The Botch
his C,N,X have been whole-heartedly accepted
it's more the NAME (and apparently JUST opened pursestrings) than the style that makes Conti stand out

I blame the excruciatingly slow pace of intros for the lack of momentum of any kind (including sales)

post #46 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:57 AM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
It's nice to know Woodhouse believes Lincoln should be Lincoln in order to be successful in the marketplace. I'm still skeptical about his design abilities, though...
yup + YUP

...He did say this new design language will evolve into a more distinctive and "Lincolnish" DNA. I liked how John McElroy and David discussed the similarities of this car's design philosophy to the famous Continentals the Fords were involved in. I'll give him and his designs a chance...
we don't have a choice - -
-- and imho there's definite DNA from the ContiMKII to Kennedy to our ContiConc

I don't believe building on Edsel Ford's European-inspired design philosophy is a good market-based solution. They were able to get away with it when the industry wasn't global, and European brands were uncommon...
I've always questioned/doubted just how european Edsel's cars were.
Afaik they were significantly larger (do you know WHEN he made his famous trip to Yurpland?)

...Those early Continentals were certainly beautiful works of art, but they were clearly inspired by European design...
"inspired", I agree

...Today, European brands dominate the luxury car market, and it's really important for challenger brands to heavily differentiate themselves from the establishment...
also AGREE!

...I think the 60s Continental really defined Lincoln design...
in any MODERN sense I very much agree
& am amazed they've done so well with the original Zephyr used for inspiration -
- THO - that's MAX!!! imho Horbury's bow-wave split was near-Lame
(edit" and only looked as good as it did compared with J Mays's silly geometric stuff)

...So, either they take cues from that iconic car, or they simply come up with some new, original design ideas. In the end, somebody will look at a Lincoln, and it will be impossible for them to mistaken it (or compare) for any other brand. That should be their #1 goal...
a lofty and most worthy goal
2"thos's"...
- I haven't completely dispensed with the theory that NOthing is truly "New"
- I'm adamant about gradual development of Style. Without that all I see is a one flip after another (note: did NOT use "flop" - diff issue)

...I would love to see a head designer for Lincoln that TRULY has passion towards Lincoln and isn't using the job title as a stepping stone for their career...
I had a pure lack of 'warm-fuzzies'
- I MISS MAX!!!
- might be just D.W.'s manner but he didn't strike me as passionate either
- more over, I got a sense of more administrative capability than design-genius

&
imhO
(not specifically about *sales*)
Max's MKZ has done brilliantly after The Botch
his C,N,X have been whole-heartedly accepted
it's more the NAME (and apparently JUST opened pursestrings) than the style that makes Conti stand out

I blame the excruciatingly slow pace of intros for the lack of momentum of any kind (including sales)
Agree with what you said. Can't answer the Edsel Ford question, though.

Lincoln design must surprise the **** out of people ("Wow, I've never seen anything like it!"), so it must be super-distinctive in order for people to say such a thing. It's definitely a tall order!

The last Lincoln I thought was perfect was the Mark X Concept. It's still a gorgeous, breathtaking car. It was the most refined concept under Gerry McGovern. I'm not sure if they could have made it work on utility vehicles, though. The Aviator Concept was not attractive.

Not building on the foundation that was poured by the successful and now iconic 60s Continental was a massive mistake. They finally had a design cue that was uniquely and unmistakably Lincoln. It's like BMW ditching the kidney grille. Perhaps it should be part of Lincoln's revival to undo past mistakes.

I would have kept and refined the spilt-wing grille to where it gave the cars presence and didn't give them a pointy front-end. I'd also reintroduce the slab-sides, with or without the chrome shoulder line. Actually, the current concept could be easily modified. Simply manipulate or eliminate the character lines to get a subtle slab-sided look (really "clean-sided", not true slab-sided), give it a crisper look, and put an all-new interpretation of the split-wing face on.

post #47 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Km
Quote:
Agree with what you said. Can't answer the Edsel Ford question, though.

Lincoln design must surprise the **** out of people ("Wow, I've never seen anything like it!"), so it must be super-distinctive in order for people to say such a thing. It's definitely a tall order!

The last Lincoln I thought was perfect was the Mark X Concept. It's still a gorgeous, breathtaking car. It was the most refined concept under Gerry McGovern. I'm not sure if they could have made it work on utility vehicles, though. The Aviator Concept was not attractive.

Not building on the foundation that was poured by the successful and now iconic 60s Continental was a massive mistake. They finally had a design cue that was uniquely and unmistakably Lincoln. It's like BMW ditching the kidney grille. Perhaps it should be part of Lincoln's revival to undo past mistakes.

I would have kept and refined the spilt-wing grille to where it gave the cars presence and didn't give them a pointy front-end. I'd also reintroduce the slab-sides, with or without the chrome shoulder line. Actually, the current concept could be easily modified. Simply manipulate or eliminate the character lines to get a subtle slab-sided look (really "clean-sided", not true slab-sided), give it a crisper look, and put an all-new interpretation of the split-wing face on.

I know what car you want: the Lincoln Sentinel!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16601[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16609[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.7 KB, 10 views)

post #48 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 01:55 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Km

I know what car you want: the Lincoln Sentinel!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16601[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16609[/ATTACH]
Yes!

I'd really love to see an updated version of it. The Sentinel proves how much you can do with the split-wing.

I like the idea of taking the most prominent design cues from each classic Continental and bringing them together to create a distinctive Lincoln DNA. Jack Telnack was the one came up with that idea. He should be running Lincoln design!

post #49 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Agree with what you said. Can't answer the Edsel Ford question, though...
wiki: "In 1938, he commissioned a custom design from the chief stylist, Eugene T. "Bob" Gregorie, ready for Edsel's March 1939 vacation."
so imho the trip was a year or 2 before - wonder where & how the pre-war design/fashion hot-bed enters into it?? ie beyond automobiles

Quote:
...Not building on the foundation that was poured by the successful and now iconic 60s Continental was a massive mistake...
well, I think that other than the overly blocky 1st gen Panther (1980), the TownCar kept some of the DNA going until the 3rd gen (1998)((which I never warmed up to))
so
the "genes haven't been recessive" for all That long

Quote:
...I would have kept and refined the spilt-wing grille to where it gave the cars presence and didn't give them a pointy front-end. I'd also reintroduce the slab-sides, with or without the chrome shoulder line. Actually, the current concept could be easily modified...
agree
ALTHO...
about the pointy front
- it's grown on me so much I hafta wonder if it could be a legitimate case of strong/high Design taking 'work'&Time to appreciate?
- am sure Max's horizontal slat DETAILING would captivate at least as well without the split(-wing);
- probably even without being horizontal!! ...tho have come to the conclusion recently that the side-to-side orientation does MAKE that detailing easier to achieve & showcase (see Sentinel^)(still like my chessboard ideas < WHICH imho has an 'echo' in the StarShadow )
(( aside: I'd LOVE to know WHO contributed to that sorta-WOVEN design! ))

Quote:
...Lincoln design must surprise the **** out of people ("Wow, I've never seen anything like it!"), so it must be super-distinctive in order for people to say such a thing. It's definitely a tall order!...
just-imho, thinking more of an Armani suit for a comparison
classic-yet-modern and NOT outlandish but with an identity so strong the average consumer will claim to recognize it even if they can't/don't
...this has to do with my gradual-development fixation since I rank Taste/tastefulness before 'new-ness'...IN the styling of umm 'durable goods' - esp machines

post #50 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:26 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...(still like my chessboard ideas < WHICH imho has an 'echo' in the StarShadow )
(( aside: I'd LOVE to know WHO contributed to that sorta-WOVEN design! ))...
not sure when I'll get time to link the Z grille chops from the Mission
but
speaking of Sentinel
here's an Oooooold beginner's LincStang chop (sorry for poor image - original from back then was TINY)

o'course average monitor display back then was 800x600

edit
imho it's easy to imagine the StarShadow grille plugged into that old chop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LincolnD2C-enlarged.jpg (22.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg LincolnD2C.jpg (5.3 KB, 39 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
concept, continental, lincoln, test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page