2016 Ford Taurus Debuts in China - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
2016 Ford Taurus Debuts in China

Ford has unveiled its new 2016 Taurus sedan, which is designed specifically for Chinese customers.

Debuting at the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show, Ford is touting that the 2016 Taurus sets a new benchmark for large sedans in China and is the latest vehicle to debut as part of the American automaker’s commitment to bring 15 new world-class vehicles to China by 2015. The Taurus was designed specifically to meet the needs of the Chinese market and marks the first time Ford has brought the nameplate to China.

At the front of the Taurus is a shield-like, trapezoidal five-bar grille that is positioned prominently and flanked by slender, modern headlights with signature daytime running lights and LED project lamp technology. The sedan will come with 19-inch polished 10-spoke wheels while the rear of the Taurus is accented by multi-piece LED tail lights and a bright chrome bar connecting them.

SEE ALSO: Ford Enters Joint Venture to Develop Low-Cost Carbon Fiber

As a first for a Ford vehicle in China, the Taurus will feature power-reclining rear seats with optional adjustable lumbar support and a massage function. The center seat cushion folds down to reveal a rear-seat control panel for air conditioning, seat functions and car media.

Under the hood will be the company’s new high-output, 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 engine, although exact specifications were not revealed. The 2016 Ford Taurus will be built at the recently opened Changan Ford Hangzhou Plant, which is capable of producing up to 250,000 vehicles a year.

“The Ford Taurus we’re introducing today shows the amazing strength and flexibility of our One Ford plan,” said John Lawler, chairman and CEO, Ford China. “It combines the best of our global product development and large-car expertise with a clear understanding of what Chinese customers in this segment want.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taurus.jpg (24.9 KB, 7106 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: 2016 Ford Taurus Debuts in China

The proportions make this car much nicer looking than the design itself, which I think is nicely done for the most part. You can see where the Continental got it's shape from which makes it a little better looking than the average FWD sedan.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
The proportions make this car much nicer looking than the design itself, which I think is nicely done for the most part. You can see where the Continental got it's shape from which makes it look a little better looking than the average FWD sedan.
Agreed, and I actually like it a bit better than the Continental, at least in the front. The Conti's lines look too soft to me, but the Taurus' lines are sharper and not too aggressive looking. But obviously the Continental is supposed to look more "special" than the Taurus, and it has achieved that. I just hope they tone down the grille and make it look more like the new MKZ's grille, if I understand your description of it correctly.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSUVfan View Post
Agreed, and I actually like it a bit better than the Continental, at least in the front. The Conti's lines look too soft to me, but the Taurus' lines are sharper and not too aggressive looking. But obviously the Continental is supposed to look more "special" than the Taurus, and it has achieved that. I just hope they tone down the grille and make it look more like the new MKZ's grille, if I understand your description of it correctly.
It's hard not to deny that the Continental and Taurus share some major design cues, especially up front and in parts of the greenhouse, but the differences will be in the finishes and accommodations. It's like an Apple Watch Sport vs Apple Watch Edition
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
It's hard not to deny that the Continental and Taurus share some major design cues, especially up front and in parts of the greenhouse, but the differences will be in the finishes and accommodations. It's like an Apple Watch Sport vs Apple Watch Edition
If the Continental Concept is anything close to production than the two cars will obviously share hard points, but the skin that is wrapped around them will be completely different. The CC has a more traditional, non-fastback roofline. I think the most obvious similarity is how the A-pillar has been pulled back, though on the CC it looks like the front wheels were also pushed forward, hopefully this won't be lost in translation, though I'm pretty sure it will.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
If the Continental Concept is anything close to production than the two cars will obviously share hard points, but the skin that is wrapped around them will be completely different. The CC has a more traditional, non-fastback roofline. I think the most obvious similarity is how the A-pillar has been pulled back, though on the CC it looks like the front wheels were also pushed forward, hopefully this won't be lost in translation, though I'm pretty sure it will.
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot more has been changed on the MKX vs Edge than most realize. Also Lincolns are certainly trending towards more and more differentiation. With Fields at the helm too, we shall see.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

might be wishful thinking but
I'm thinking the production Conti has a good chance of being larger (thus even more imposing) than the concept

little known/ackowledged fact is the Z-Concept was smaller than the production car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 AM
FIN Staff Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Taurus_Black.jpg (20.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 Taurus_Red.jpg (20.2 KB, 139 views)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot more has been changed on the MKX vs Edge than most realize. Also Lincolns are certainly trending towards more and more differentiation. With Fields at the helm too, we shall see.
Not a single Lincoln differs in hard point locations with it's Ford platform. Yes they have completely unique sheet metal and greenhouses, but hard points have remained the same. There is zero reason to think that is going to change soon.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Ford Falcon

Lincoln and Ford share engineering hard points, Lincoln does bolt on a few electronically controlled suspension dampeners but use the same Ford hardware. The rest is design, amenities, and materials. The good thing is I don't think people realize how close Ford and Lincoln remain technically at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2016, china, debuts, ford, taurus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page