Lincoln Mark Series to Return - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Lincoln Mark IX to Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
^ I love how with any other Ford FWD platform it's a top hat but as soon as someone brings up a Mustang based Lincoln then it's instantly a re-badge and won't work.

I think they could truly make a new top hat from the Mustang for Lincoln but it may be too late at this point. That platform is pretty old as it is.
There is NO question they could make a suitable Mark from the S550 platform. I would be inclined to make the 3.0EB or 3.5EB the top engine as the 5.0 is as Mustang as the horse emblem at this point. The Mark wouldn't be a muscle car, it's a sports touring car, or more accurately a magnet for younger buyers. In my mind an S550 based Mark aims for the 6-series and C-Class Coupe, not the M6.

If you want to bring younger buyers into Lincoln dealers none of the current cars, nor upcoming cars are going to do so in any significant way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
It could well be 7G Mustang based, in fact that probably makes the most sense as S550 will be ready for retirement by then.
Typically, each Mustang generation lasts more than 8 years. Last two generations lasted around 10-11 years. The 3rd lasted 15 years.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
There is NO question they could make a suitable Mark from the S550 platform. I would be inclined to make the 3.0EB or 3.5EB the top engine as the 5.0 is as Mustang as the horse emblem at this point. The Mark wouldn't be a muscle car, it's a sports touring car, or more accurately a magnet for younger buyers. In my mind an S550 based Mark aims for the 6-series and C-Class Coupe, not the M6.

If you want to bring younger buyers into Lincoln dealers none of the current cars, nor upcoming cars are going to do so in any significant way.
I agree wholeheartedly I do. I just wonder bout how much time is left on the S550.

Besides SP I know you want a new Mark VII just as much as I do

I still think that if 2022 is the correct time then they are purposely waiting for the 100th anniversary of Ford purchasing Lincoln. I remember a commercial from 2 I think it was I saw on youtube where they were bragging about how 70 years of excellence Ford has taken care of Lincoln or something bla bla bla

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:49 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I still believe an S550-LincStang was planned
& I'm STILL not ruling it out
BUT
now I'm thinking that D6CD6 might be able to be the MusStang's nextgen platform as well

&
SP,
LincStang = 6-series (the 2door) AND XE+Tesla ||| **
also
decided today:
not aluminNavi
not AlumaGator
but ALUMINATOR

** still waiting for specs for the new AlfaRomeo
I don't think giving the Mustang a Mark top-hat would make a good Lincoln. It's not the right size for a Mark. It would have to be stretched to give it a decent backseat. It may be the reason it was canned or some other engineering constraint.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
I don't think giving the Mustang a Mark top-hat would make a good Lincoln. It's not the right size for a Mark. It would have to be stretched to give it a decent backseat. It may be the reason it was canned or some other engineering constraint.
That's an excellent point. I had not thought about that.

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Medium Royal Blue
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2014 Buick Lacrosse Leather Group - Quicksilver
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
ahem:
Quote:
...as long as they stretch the wheelbase to (near)match the 3er/XE/C/etc
tho I quite agree that "MARK" is not my first choice for any car smaller than halfway from Z to Conti
otoh
per my LincStang imagining (why doesn't everybody KNOW this already? ),
tho the sportsedan needs absolute minimum overhangs to compete with '''The Highest Volume Lux Segment''',
185.0" ovl; 111" wlb
'my' 2-door/coupe-cabrio lets the near-MusStang-HUMONGOUS-overhangs continue...somewhat
189.9" ovl, 111" wlb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post

Today on Autoline Daily:

Copying and pasting from the LLSOC. I haven't seen this yet personally but 7 years away?? Yeesh!

Talk about the distant future! What could possibly take that long? It's not the Space Shuttle fercryinoutloud.

note: foto is a couple years old...just to 'dress up' the thread
2b2
my guess...the photo at the top was a concept of the MARK IX with the split wing grille....now that they have a new grille, it is time to do another one
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Lincoln Mark Series to Return

^ AND an AllNew magic platform

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero
ahem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2
...as long as they stretch the wheelbase to (near)match the 3er/XE/C/etc
tho I quite agree that "MARK" is not my first choice for any car smaller than halfway from Z to Conti
otoh
per my LincStang imagining (why doesn't everybody KNOW this already? ),
tho the sportsedan needs absolute minimum overhangs to compete with '''The Highest Volume Lux Segment''',
185.0" ovl; 111" wlb
'my' 2-door/coupe-cabrio lets the near-MusStang-HUMONGOUS-overhangs continue...somewhat
189.9" ovl, 111" wlb
ALSO
forgot to point-out (nag) that there are NO vehicles in the (true) MARK size-category that are High Volume...

...or even MODerate Volume

...altho
the Autoline report did say '''NICHE'''

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Ford once did develop the Mark VII and Continental off the lowly Fox platform used for the 1978 Fairmont and 1979 Mustang. But I don't know if the current Mustang platform is as flexible as Fox was for its time.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Ford Focus

Re: Lincoln Mark Series to Return

This is too long for a 'halo' car. It must be standard, best production - a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2022, development, lincoln, mark, return, series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page