2018 Ford Expedition Spotted(Alu?) - Ford Inside News Community
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

2018 Ford Expedition Spotted(Alu?)

Ford's launching of the new aluminum-bodied F-150 stands to be a game-changer in its own right, but it's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The F-150's aluminum construction has already to a new Super Duty and soon to a new Raptor, but a new Expedition looks to be in the works, as well.

Tipped to debut alongside a new Lincoln Navigator sometime in 2017 as a 2018 model, the new Expedition is anticipated to borrow heavily from the F-150 on which it's based. Combine that with EcoBoost engines and the new Expedition, as large as it will be, stands to offer serious fuel economy savings over the outgoing model, and allow for more hauling capability in the process.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/30/2...ion-spy-shots/

__________________________________________________ _______________

Last edited by Bloggin; 07-13-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Re: 2017 Ford Expedition Spotted

I'm guessing this is simply a mule. I doubt it will have an F-150 grille (at least the EXACT same grille) and current-gen Expedition taillights.

post #3 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Ford Flex

Spy Shots of Aluminum Expedition

Spy Shots of Aluminum Expedition

Link to AutoBlog pictures and short article.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes

post #4 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Ford Mondeo

Very good news!
post #5 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Ford Ka

Spy photos of Aluminum Body Expedition

Ford's launching of the new aluminum-bodied F-150 stands to be a game-changer in its own right, but it's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The F-150's aluminum construction has already to a new Super Duty and soon to a new Raptor, but a new Expedition looks to be in the works, as well.

Tipped to debut alongside a new Lincoln Navigator sometime in 2017 as a 2018 model, the new Expedition is anticipated to borrow heavily from the F-150 on which it's based. Combine that with EcoBoost engines and the new Expedition, as large as it will be, stands to offer serious fuel economy savings over the outgoing model, and allow for more hauling capability in the process.

The styling looks set to take its cues from the F-150 and Super Duty, but with a four-door, squared-off body style. Expect the interior to pack the latest technologies as well, including Ford's new Sync 3 infotainment system. The new Expedition will have its hands full competing with the latest Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, and GMC Yukon to say nothing of the likes of the Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada, and (to some extent) Jeep's forthcoming Wagoneer revival, too.

post #6 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage
Re: Spy photos of Aluminum Body Expedition

It's happeningggg!!!!!

*heavy breathing*

Still has IRS!

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #7 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Ford Ka

Re: Spy photos of Aluminum Body Expedition

Yep, looks like the IRS is there! Along with some extra cladding along the rear roofline. I wonder what that is hiding.
post #8 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Spy Shots of Aluminum Expedition

Well it looks like **** right now but LOOK! IRS! YESS!!!!

And hey, it actually exists!
post #9 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Ford Falcon

Definitely a mule, long way to go here on the final design but this prototype has an IRS which is kinda big news in my book, they didn't give it up which is probably why this vehicle is lagging the F-150 by so many years and should really challenge the GM utes which sorta phone it in and cash the check.

The design will probably use much of the F-150 hard points so it will probably have a blocky look to much of it but I imagine they'll do some work to the sheetmetal to smooth it out for the civilian market. It'll be interesting to see what Lincoln does with it, reshaping Aluminum is not an simple or inexpensive task so I would not be surprised if Lincoln reuses much of the Ford metal a'la Caddy especially for cars in such low production.

The rear side light may actually be part of the final design however which indicates something a bit more softened but with some strong angles.

I'm actually excited by these, I would love a modern Navigator....if they can assemble them in a timely fashion
post #10 of 198 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
Definitely a mule, long way to go here on the final design but this prototype has an IRS which is kinda big news in my book, they didn't give it up which is probably why this vehicle is lagging the F-150 by so many years and should really challenge the GM utes which sorta phone it in and cash the check.

The design will probably use much of the F-150 hard points so it will probably have a blocky look to much of it but I imagine they'll do some work to the sheetmetal to smooth it out for the civilian market. It'll be interesting to see what Lincoln does with it, reshaping Aluminum is not an simple or inexpensive task so I would not be surprised if Lincoln reuses much of the Ford metal a'la Caddy especially for cars in such low production.

The rear side light may actually be part of the final design however which indicates something a bit more softened but with some strong angles.

I'm actually excited by these, I would love a modern Navigator....if they can assemble them in a timely fashion
I'm glad to hear that it's retaining IRS, which is a huge selling point over the GM triplets.

How, may I ask, did you know that? Is there something in the spyshots that gives it away?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017, aluexpedition, aluminum, body, expedition, expedition or navigator, ford, photos, shots, spotted, spy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page