Road and Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Road and Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year

I think that is exactly the point some of us were trying to make to VoD when he claimed Chevy "wanted it more." The fact is, they took two very different approaches. GM focused on getting weight out of the platform, bumping power, and tightening up the handling. It turned out a great car.

Ford went the route of creating another level of Mustang. Bespoke front bodywork, including even having new fenders and hood, essentially new suspension, brakes, and a bespoke motor that sounds like everything a serious gearhead wants.

So, GM elevated the whole line, but slapped a big price increase on everyone. Ford elevated the brand, and only slapped the price penalty on the gear heads who will line up to buy the GT350 for years. And all that bespoke stuff makes the top-o-the-line Stang feel very special in a way that checking off SS on the order sheet for a Camaro doesn't.

Like I said, I think Ford picked the right path, here. The GT350s will be legend. Guys will nod approvingly when you pull up in one. It is special. Good job, Ford.
hbmf3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Road and Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
I think that is exactly the point some of us were trying to make to VoD when he claimed Chevy "wanted it more." The fact is, they took two very different approaches. GM focused on getting weight out of the platform, bumping power, and tightening up the handling. It turned out a great car.

Ford went the route of creating another level of Mustang. Bespoke front bodywork, including even having new fenders and hood, essentially new suspension, brakes, and a bespoke motor that sounds like everything a serious gearhead wants.

So, GM elevated the whole line, but slapped a big price increase on everyone. Ford elevated the brand, and only slapped the price penalty on the gear heads who will line up to buy the GT350 for years. And all that bespoke stuff makes the top-o-the-line Stang feel very special in a way that checking off SS on the order sheet for a Camaro doesn't.

Like I said, I think Ford picked the right path, here. The GT350s will be legend. Guys will nod approvingly when you pull up in one. It is special. Good job, Ford.
That is so very well said, mooseman. Elevating the whole line and making everyone pay more, including the casual camaro driver who simply wants a capable V8 without the near-bespoke level pricing, is what GM has done. It's what I have been saying as well, that customers deserve a gradient of performance levels in this segment. Mustang is getting up there in price too, but at least it's many thousands less than a camaro V8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page