MyFord/Lincoln……....….Touch - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: MyFord/Lincoln……....….Touch

The issue is not voice control (though it could be better). The issue is volume control on non-navigation models. There is no discrete control of volume for the different sources (There is on NAV).

Have the radio at a decent level and the handfree volume will be too low. That's not that bad. Hit the sync button and the voice prompt will be so loud your ears will bleed. Ford is aware of it, and issued a TSB that tells dealers to not do anything. The other fun one is the poor sound on the rear view mounted MIC. Ford issued a TSB for that, and will install a replacement MIC, but it looks like something a bestbuy employee would install from the early 90s. What's the worst part of it all is Fords total lack of support. BON is better run than the SYNC Community forums.

Lovely isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Ford Explorer

"bleeding ears"??

Hmmm,
I have noticed sync volume levels that I had to compensate for, but.....really?
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
"bleeding ears"??

Hmmm,
I have noticed sync volume levels that I had to compensate for, but.....really?
Practically, yes. It's so bad my wife won't let me use it while she is in the car. The SYNC person on SYNC Community acknowledges the issue, but says it's not his problem, it's the headunit.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
...Lovely isn't it?
that picture isn't working for me, SullyND ... maybe one needs to be a member @ F150online
but
think I found a google thumbnail that might display

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Huh, must be in my cache because I'm not a member. Does this work?

huge pic

Ford rolled the change into the mid 2010 models. (Ours is a Job 1).

It would have been nice if they integrated it into the light assembly.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
The issue is not voice control (though it could be better). The issue is volume control on non-navigation models. There is no discrete control of volume for the different sources (There is on NAV).

Have the radio at a decent level and the handfree volume will be too low. That's not that bad. Hit the sync button and the voice prompt will be so loud your ears will bleed. Ford is aware of it, and issued a TSB that tells dealers to not do anything. The other fun one is the poor sound on the rear view mounted MIC. Ford issued a TSB for that, and will install a replacement MIC, but it looks like something a bestbuy employee would install from the early 90s. What's the worst part of it all is Fords total lack of support. BON is better run than the SYNC Community forums.
I have two questions if I may:

1. Is this high volume, bleeding ears issue, an ongoing problem or has Ford fixed it in subsequent models? Sounds like an easy thing to deal with (by the maker, not the user of course)
2. Did they fix the mic problem? Is that what you are saying about a mid 2010 thing?

I know several people that say they would NOT buy a car without SYNC or some similar system (up to today there is nothing remotely similar) but most of them have it together with nav. Except for my friend "P" who bought a Focus upon my recommendation and even though he has not nav, he is one of the most enthusiastic proponents of SYNC that I know.

Back when I was reviewing cars I drove several Ford vehicles with SYNC, I did never experienced this high volume/bleeding ears problems. They were of course all top of the line models with Navigation (demo testers are usually very well loaded examples). The Flex with the then new next gen nav system was one of the best SYNC examples I got to test and no bleeding ears to speak of. I wonder if the problem you are experiencing is related to nav-less vehicles, or even more so (and based on "P" and is Focus) to nav-less Flexes or nav-less big cabin vehicles.

What I find inexcusable, is that Ford would issue a TSB about this problems and tell the dealers not to do anything. I am very curios too see how would they phrase such an absurdity, knowing as they know that these TBS go public. Do you have a copy to post here by any chance?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Editor

I know what he is talking about. My Focus does the same thing. The volume control is fixed across all inputs, so if you're jamming to Sirius and hit the voice button, the SYNC lady is going to blow you out as she is equally as loud. It isn't a huge problem, but it is sort of perplexing as it isn't too difficult to program it so each input has it's own volume level. Even my Aussie-built G8 does that.

I had not heard about the mic problem. I wondered why all of my recent test vehicles have the mic in the headliner versus the mirror.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Ford Focus ZX

My Mac is in the shop so I'm posting from my iPhone. Bear with me...

I do not have the full TSB re volume control but here is what was posted on the Ford SYNC site:
Quote:
SYNC, MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINE AND MODEL YEAR SYNC SYSTEM VOICE TOO LOUD, TOO QUIET. SOME 2008-2010 SYNC EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT THE SYNC SYSTEM VOICE TOO LOUD OR TOO SOFT. THIS IS A NORMAL SYSTEM OPERATING STRATEGY AND NO REPAIR IS NECESSARY. THERE WILL BE NO REVISIONS FOR THIS IN THE FUTURE FOR THE 2008-2010 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES. DO NOT REPLACE OR UPGRADE THE ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE(APIM)FOR THIS CONCERN.*
It was confirmed as being a TSB by the SYNC rep.

Yes, the headliner MIC was a running change to address the poor sound quality issue. It did not get fixed until mid 2010 (my Job 1 Flex has the issue). That Ford sold models with that issue for three years is crazy. I have not decided yet if I'll live with the poor sound quality or have the ridiculously ugly MIC installed per the TSB.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
1. Is this high volume, bleeding ears issue, an ongoing problem or has Ford fixed it in subsequent models? Sounds like an easy thing to deal with
AFAIK it's still an issue. Ford really needs to be active on their SYNC site or shut it down. Their Rep on there is really bad. When I first posted about the issue he said it's not a SYNC problem, it's an issue with the headunit. I told him I didn't care if it was the headunit or headlight at fault, I bought them all from Ford.

Ford doesn't care because as long as they supply press with NAV units they can continue to dupe users all they want.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Ford Explorer

How is it that some are so unsatisfied, they actually prefer to not have sync, even though it adds to the resale value, while others like myself who have now had 4 vehicles with sync, and have never been annoyed nearly enough to complain about it. I simply work around what I know is a very occasional flaw or glitch in a budding tech that nobody else has.

I wonder how many will never buy a computer again, because windows had issues.

So does Apple too BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
myford or lincoln………touch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page