MyFord/Lincoln……....….Touch - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Editor

MyFord/Lincoln……....….Touch

MyFord/Lincoln……….....Touch
Ford's new interface proves there is a price for fast innovation.
www.fordinsidenews.com
October 21, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Ford is now considered one of America’s most innovative companies. One of their most focused areas of innovation has been on infotainment, a critical area that is of the utmost importance to American car buyers. It started with SYNC back in 2007 and since its launch the flood gates have opened in Dearborn to innovate off of the SYNC platform nearly as fast as Silicon Valley. That innovation has now spurred MyFord and MyLincoln Touch. The suite of new features and a user interface that is extremely innovative, but the system shows the price one most pay for quick innovation.

MyFord/Lincoln Touch encompasses the use of two 4.2-inch LCD displays in the gauge cluster in lieu of traditional analog gauges. Ford is certainly not the first automaker to utilize LCD panels in the gauge cluster, though they are the first to get such a wide array of usage out of them. The right side panel can display everything from the battery and signal levels of your cell phone to the temperature of the driver’s ambient.

The left panel is strictly for vehicle information. Fuel level, engine temperature, engine speed and all of the other traditional driver information center statistics are found there. For example, one can display fuel economy in three different ways on that one LCD. Again we have a level of innovation that is nothing short of incredible with the system.

All MyFord/Lincoln Touch vehicles are also equipped with an eight inch LCD on the center stack. This display is laden with elaborate animations and graphic sets- perhaps some of the best in the industry. The fancy UI controls everything relating to communication or entertainment. You can even connect your vehicle to a wireless router from this screen, yes like a computer.

But the eight inch display is also where this high level of innovation starts to become tarnished. While the small LCD’s in the gauge cluster react quickly and effectively, commands issued from the larger display tend to lag, stall and become an overall annoyance.

Having experienced the system in several vehicles—most of which were regular production units—it seems to be an inherent trait of the system.

Almost any touch of a soft button on the display results in a lag within the UI itself. For example, touch a preset radio button to change the Sirius channel and the channel changes before the UI registers the change on the display.

Voice controls become another issue with the system. For example, while playing an iPod through the USB, commands that are typically not a problem for SYNC…results in a failure. Saying “Play playlist recently added” is unrecognizable by the system, yet works fine in older applications of SYNC.

On a recent trip back from the airport MyLincoln Touch was very cantankerous with entering a destination via voice control. To make matters worse, it would tell you what information it wanted you to say before the screen was displaying the options, the lag problem rearing its ugly head.

MyFord/Lincoln Touch is supposed to lure in Generation Y buyers, but Generation Y buyers are used to multi-core processors on their PC’s and smartphones that pack a higher punch than computers just a decade ago. The lag within the UI is of MyFord/Lincoln Touch is something most buyers are going to notice quickly.

Ford deserves a tremendous amount of credit for innovating so quickly. In concept the new MyFord/Lincoln Touch system is terrific. The intention of the system is terrific. Unfortunately there tends to be a price to be collected for fast innovation, just ask Apple. The system’s inherent UI lag and so-so voice control seem to be the price in the case of MyFord/Lincoln Touch. Perhaps a software update will resolve the issues? We shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Ford Ka

Re: MyFord/Lincoln……....….Touch

Yeah, I can imagine this being a pain. You can ignore or overlook technical issues on a ipod or something that doesn't cost alot or get used frequently, but a car? No thanks. I'd rather wait a year or two so they can get the bugs figured out.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

hm interesting, I thought this system was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Maybe a software update can do that, but still...

Just wait until you have the vehicle for a year or two... The lagging will only get worse.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT

These comments very much mimic what most SYNC early users experienced. We all know how that ended up.

I expect these bugs to be fixed, and sooner than any of us would, realistically, expect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 04:54 PM
The Spaminator

My ipod lags a little short of a second but I am ok with it

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Ford Explorer

Occasional growing pains is still far better than what the competition offers
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT

I just finished reading the entire Autoblog review on the Edge (posted in a thread started by davidlane elsewhere in FIN) where they dedicated a significant amount of copy to the MyFord Touch, they barely had anything negative to say, just a comment about the knob in the Sony equipped vehicles. No mention of any lag whatsoever. I wonder if this was an issue of the demo tester Ford gave nsap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Ford Ka

I just finished my Training on My Ford Touch today. It isn't that hard.

The hard part will be showing the customer, all it has to offer.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
I just finished reading the entire Autoblog review on the Edge (posted in a thread started by davidlane elsewhere in FIN) where they dedicated a significant amount of copy to the MyFord Touch, they barely had anything negative to say, just a comment about the knob in the Sony equipped vehicles. No mention of any lag whatsoever. I wonder if this was an issue of the demo tester Ford gave nsap.
I drove three Edge's at the media drive, then have the MKX right now. All four lag and from what other journalists have told me, I'm not the only one to notice.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
These comments very much mimic what most SYNC early users experienced. We all know how that ended up.

I expect these bugs to be fixed, and sooner than any of us would, realistically, expect.
SYNC is my biggest disappointment in our FLEX. SYNC in non-nav equipped vehicles has acknowledged issues Ford will not fix. I've heard of lag being an issue with MFT from multiple people, but have not tried it myself yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
myford or lincoln………touch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page