Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
I'm OK with only 4 cylinders, but hopefully they will continue to keep getting more refined. There are some pretty good 4 cylinders out there now (with respect to power/HP), but they still don't seem to run close to as smooth as a V6.
That is true, it is sad to see the 3.0L Duratec go away its a **** good engine, I have owned 2 cars with that motor and it never let me down. I wonder if they could have pushed it some more with giving it the ecoboost treatment

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Focus RS WRC

Is the next Escape shrinking a lot? The current model is a lot roomier than I thought it would be and I prefer its traditional SUV look to that of the larger, heavier Edge, which looks more CUV-like. The FWD Edge does get impressive mileage, though (19/27 for the 3.5L compared with 18/26 for the 3.0L equipped FWD Escape). Is the 3.5L that much more efficient to getter better MPG from a larger engine in a heavier vehicle? Imagine if the Escape's 3.0L was replaced with the 3.5L. In the lighter truck it would logically get better than the 19/27 MPG of the Edge, unless the Escape is severely less aerodynamic than the Edge. That seems unlikely especially comparing city estimates in which air flow is much less of a problem.

Buy American!
Buy Ford!
So say we all...
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
Is the next Escape shrinking a lot? The current model is a lot roomier than I thought it would be and I prefer its traditional SUV look to that of the larger, heavier Edge, which looks more CUV-like. The FWD Edge does get impressive mileage, though (19/27 for the 3.5L compared with 18/26 for the 3.0L equipped FWD Escape). Is the 3.5L that much more efficient to getter better MPG from a larger engine in a heavier vehicle? Imagine if the Escape's 3.0L was replaced with the 3.5L. In the lighter truck it would logically get better than the 19/27 MPG of the Edge, unless the Escape is severely less aerodynamic than the Edge. That seems unlikely especially comparing city estimates in which air flow is much less of a problem.
The Edge is a lot heavier than the Escape I believe so that must add to it

Previous Cars
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
- Is the next Escape shrinking a lot?
- Is the 3.5L that much more efficient to getter better MPG from a larger engine in a heavier vehicle?
- Imagine if the Escape's 3.0L was replaced with the 3.5L. In the lighter truck it would logically get better than the 19/27 MPG of the Edge...
- afaik the Esckuga will be slightly longer, due to a longer wheelbase
- in a word, from what I remember: Yes
- along those lines; think of the MKG/KuGa with a new 2.7v6, designed to be no bigger or heavier than a 4cyl ..... now think of it with the 2.7EB with over 300hp!! (while the MKX could have a 3.5EB with UPto 400hp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Ford Focus ZX

The Cyclone family was designed to be able to go up or down in size, but AFAIK the physical size does not change (i.e. the 3.7 should fit anywhere the 3.5 does). It was also designed to fit where the 3.0 fit. I do not believe a 2.7 would be an all new block, or even if so, appreciably smaller, or lighter, than the 3.5. Where the 2.7 makes sense IMHO is Lincoln Hybrids.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I agree the 2.7 ALSO makes sense in Lincoln Hybrids ... definitely those larger than C-segment
but
whether Fomoco spent the bucks for a new block could depend on how they see the CAFE future.

I hope the 2.7's (na, hybrid, & EB) start out as exclusively-Lincoln engines
but after that identification is the public perception, imho it'd be ok to add them to select Fords, esp if those Fords could carry off a "Powered by Lincoln" engine cover
then AFTER a replacement has been developed as a new Lincoln exclusive power-source < carefullyt worded
the 2.7 could be "handed down" to whatever Ford model they want

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Ford Ka

Could this mean the 2013 Ford Fusion will be I4 only?

That's what I'm wondering. I don't really like the idea of this. The bigger and heavier the vehicle, the less advantage there seems to be in cutting off two cylinders and using a turbo or two. I guess we'll find out, but the Edge is more likely to stay V-6 than the Fusion, so this doesn't bode well for those of us that are hoping for a V-6 Fusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
I see a future problem for Ford here. The next Escape and the next Edge, both, will not have a V6 option... so, what set apart an Escape from an Edge? Both have 2 seats rows, both will have only 4cyl engines... i dont understand why 2 vehicles in the same market niche.certainly, the edge is more "midsize" crossover and the next Escape is a "compact" crossover. But for the public, this will be almost imperceptible. Maybe Ford could give a V6 engine option to the Edge in order to differentiate it from the Escape. Or, maybe, a 3 rows of seats....
Completely agree.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
Could this mean the 2013 Ford Fusion will be I4 only?

That's what I'm wondering. I don't really like the idea of this. The bigger and heavier the vehicle, the less advantage there seems to be in cutting off two cylinders and using a turbo or two. I guess we'll find out, but the Edge is more likely to stay V-6 than the Fusion, so this doesn't bode well for those of us that are hoping for a V-6 Fusion.

Completely agree.
The V-6 will most likely stay in the MKZ so what I am thinking is Ford is going to try to make the V6 a premium offering like the V8 was back in the day

Previous Cars
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Ford Ka

Any ideas about the size of the next generation Edge/MkX? Same size, smaller?
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I really don't like this.

If the Escape/Kuga loses its V6 option for Ecoboost four bangers...okay, I can get behind that. Baby crossovers don't need 300 ponies, their drivelines aren't made for that.

However, mid-sized vehicles that always had V6s as their main engines suddenly losing two cylinders? Every competitor that doesn't follow suit will be advertising their V6 options relentlessly. If the Ecoboost 4 fails to deliver fantastically on all fronts, it'll get ugly...fast.

Americans like their low-rpm torque, green revolution or no. This is starting to remind me of those ugly days in the 80's where everyone was assuming turbo 4s were going to kill all other engine types and the automotive future looked very bleak indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
edge, ford, generation, losing, v6s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page