Ford Inside News banner

Ford lineup to change, but how?

47K views 189 replies 28 participants last post by  Falc'man 
#1 ·
Ford lineup to change, but how?
Autoweek

As with most automakers, Ford passenger-car sales are down both for the month of November and for the year. Such trends usually lead to lineup changes, and Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas, nearly confirmed that fact to Automotive News. Just last week the company introduced a new, raised version of its Fiesta, called the Active, which had more of a crossover/VW Alltrack feel to its design.

“Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas,” Hinrichs told Automotive News. “Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base, as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio.”

The stodgy Taurus sedan could be part of that pruning. It’s down almost 11 percent for the year. The C-Max is down 13 percent, though it ticked up in November. Those two and the slow-selling Ford Flex could all be on the chopping block.

Ford reveals the new Fiesta line-up
“If you look at our past, there have been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added,” Hinrichs said. “Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out.”

Stephen Odell, Ford’s director of global marketing, sales and service, said he’s looking at options that add to the company’s SUV/crossover arm and help combat slower car sales.

“You can address both markets in some cases with a similar product offering,” Odell said, referencing the new Active.

Hinrichs also told Automotive News that the business decision to move Focus production to Mexico helped establish a future for the small car, something it may not have had in the U.S. with the former's production costs.

See less See more
#3 ·
esp. for C-Max, I expect a replacement with a new nameplate to be taller, tippy-er, with less room inside...
...tho other course LOOK swoopier & 'tougher'...
also wonder if electrification will go on the back,BACK burner
The rest of the industry is moving full steam ahead with Electrification, so if Ford is not on track to keep up, they will be left far behind. One thing the 'media' keeps forgetting about is that the benefits of driving an EV is more than just no gas, but the elimination of so many parts that need maintenance or replacement on a regular basis is huge. I don't want to buy less gas, I don't want to buy any gas, or any more emissions tests, oil changes, etc.

A 200+ mile Model 3 and 3-Series is coming.....mine mine mine..lol

#5 ·
So expect to see the Fiesta to go away in the US and be replaced by the Active only.

Reactions: scford58
#6 ·
I think they need to kill of the Taurus, which is obviously happening. Adding Active to some of the models such as the Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion/Mondeo could be beneficial to help with the car side of sales. We know the Ranger and the Bronco are coming so that will add to the portfolio. The C-Max needs to be replaced with a vehicle designed from the get go to run hybrid/electric/maybe hydrogen, kind of like Hyundai is doing with the Ionic.

#7 ·
I wish they never killed the Escape Hybrid.

#8 ·
The other thing that needs to be taken into account is what effect will the new president elect have? Current there is a large push towards fuel efficient vehicles despite people arent purchasing those products due to the lower cost of fuel, but still they have to exist due to the CAFE mandates. Now Trump has stated he would like to dismantle/postpone these CAFE changes so there is a likely chance we may see changes to Ford's hybrid and electrification strategy.

#9 ·
How?

Here my ideas:

NorthAmerica will lose the Taurus and Fiesta
Europe will lose the Mondeo

NorthAmerica will have a cheaper version of the Focus

NorthAmerica and Europe need a new crossover between the EcoSport and Escape/Kuga. Where? Just in the place occuped now by the C-Max/Grand C-Max. Europe (and America) dont want vans/monovolumen. Everybody want a SUV.

Ford need some kind of Coupe-crossover, like the X6/X4 . Maybe based on the Edge ( and, of course, The Lincoln MKX).

NorthAmerica and Europe need the chinese 3 row seats extended wheelbase Edge. Definitly, is a different kind of vehicle than the Explorer.

One of the 2 monovolumen Europe had now (S-Max and Galaxy) need to be transformed into a crossover. Maybe the extended Edge will be enough. Maybe a new model bigger than the Edge and smaller than the Explorer could be ok.

The european Vignale upscale sub-brand need exclusives models, not only a loaded Fords with chrome and different grilles and wheels. A Mondeo Vignale cost 20000€ more than the Titanium version! Maybe is time to launch some Lincoln models in Europe under The Vignale name.

Ford need electrification, in the luxury side of the business (for now): Lincoln/Vignale. Eventually, Ford will need a platform exclusive for electric vehicles. This platform must be very flexible to make possible build sedans, crossovers with different sizes.

#18 ·
How?

Here my ideas:

NorthAmerica will lose the Taurus and Fiesta
Europe will lose the Mondeo
1. The Taurus will most likely be killed in North America since it belongs to a shrinking market (non-global model).
2. Ford will most likely need the Fiesta (alongside the 2018 EcoSport) to meet CAFE regulations, Ford can source it from Mexico or Asia.
3. I think Fusion and Mondeo need each other to survive.
* Importing lower profit/lower volume models (next Fiesta, next Focus) makes more sense than manufacturing lower profit/lower volume models domestically (Taurus).

One of the 2 monovolumen Europe had now (S-Max and Galaxy) need to be transformed into a crossover. Maybe the extended Edge will be enough. Maybe a new model bigger than the Edge and smaller than the Explorer could be ok.
That is basically what the Chinese market 7-seater Edge is under the skin, it's a S-Max Crossover.

Eventually, Ford will need a platform exclusive for electric vehicles. This platform must be very flexible to make possible build sedans, crossovers with different sizes.
Aren't they making a "Model E", sort of a Leaf/Bolt rival?

#10 ·
:thumb: falcon lover^^

...NorthAmerica will lose the Taurus (see quote**) and Fiesta.
Europe will lose the Mondeo...
for the Mondeo, I can see it continuing as long as a similar Fusion is being engineered & built ... or maybe I should say "MKZ"??
**quote me-elsewhere
I won't miss the Taurus name even tho I've liked (in one way or aNother) every D3/4 car
otoh
I've also speculated about morphing a range-topping Ford into a "Taurino" or "Thunderbird"
& I'm not counting those out just yet

...NorthAmerica will have a cheaper version of the Focus...
I'm kinda wondering about 2 (TWO) Focuseseses - tho with diff names. Thinking a small(er/est) Focus could replace the Fiesta here (while the bigger Focus keeps its name)
tho
they could both be Active/Cuv-ish more than sedan-ish
( dunno about ST's or RS )

...Europe (and America) dont want vans/monovolume. Everybody want a SUV...
...One of the 2 monovolume Europe had now (S-Max and Galaxy) need to be transformed into a crossover. Maybe the extended Edge will be enough. Maybe a new model bigger than the Edge and smaller than the Explorer could be ok...
...NorthAmerica and Europe need the chinese 3 row seats extended wheelbase Edge. Definitly, is a different kind of vehicle than the Explorer...

&
...Ford need some kind of Coupe-crossover, like the X6/X4 . Maybe based on the Edge ( and, of course, The Lincoln MKX)...

...my main pondering is about how Lincoln can capitalize on that
( segue )

...The european Vignale upscale sub-brand need exclusives models, not only a loaded Fords with chrome and different grilles and wheels. A Mondeo Vignale cost 20000€ more than the Titanium version! Maybe is time to launch some Lincoln models in Europe under The Vignale name.

Ford need electrification, in the luxury side of the business (for now): Lincoln/Vignale. Eventually, Ford will need a platform exclusive for electric vehicles. This platform must be very flexible to make possible build sedans, crossovers with different sizes...
I'll take your word for Europe wanting a more distinct upper-level
but
I'd much prefer using the Lincoln Brand
&
if I was in charge, I'd probably prefer to err on the side of caution (doing less) until the direction of U.S regulations and the Market can be known.
NOT saying that's the best idea
:angel

#11 ·
I think New Taurus will replace current Taurus, since the larger car segment, with large cars that meet the large car consumer needs, is growing in year over year sales. And this will realign the rest of the sedan and SUV lineup.

New Expedition/New Navigator

New Taurus/Continental - New Flex/New MKT

New Fusion/MKZ(MKS Coupe) - New Edge/New MKX/New Explorer/New Aviator

- MKZ(MKS Coupe) should be smaller in length. width and height than Fusion, and RWD more directly targeted at C-Class. Current MKZ is too big for that duty, and the size difference will also help differentiate the Lincoln model from the Ford model as Lincoln is intent on doing.

New Model E/Focus/Lincoln Sedan - New Escape/New MKC/New Model E SUV

New Fiesta - New Fiesta Active/New EcoSport

#14 · (Edited)
^ :thumb:s @scford58
&
I think New Taurus will replace current Taurus, since the larger car segment, with large cars that meet the large car consumer needs, is growing in year over year sales. And this will realign the rest of the sedan and SUV lineup...
ORLY?!?

...New Flex/New MKT...
ORLY²

...MKZ(MKS Coupe)...
...MKZ(MKS Coupe)...
I'm just gonna pretend you said STARstang, Bloggin :nerd: :angel

Ford hasn't pushed the Taurus here in the states, yet they introduced a newer Taurus in China. I can't figure that one out...
...If not, what happens to the police sedans? I think Ford in more interested china than the states.
afaik LEO is buying more&more Explorers inStead of Tauruseses, &
imho China-Taurus is drab if not ugly.
Think the U.S would need '''sumthin speshul'''/beyond-mainstream; hence my Taurino/Tbird = higher ATPs too!
otoh
me-elsewhere-today said:
s'funny
if instead of fighting against the Cuv characteristics of the Volvo donor-platform, esp how they did with the 2010 refresh,
IF they'd gone ahead and made a taller-but-swoopy-Cuv out of it, they'd've been ahead of the current trend...
scford58 said:
...Taurus "Active Wagon" similar to Volvo, the recently introduced E-Class All Terrain...
edit/ps @scford58
I completely agree about the Tbird having 4 doors :joyous: CLS-ish is right on
( got an oldish China-based chop somewhere...)

#12 ·
Ford hasn't pushed the Taurus here in the states, yet they introduced a newer Taurus in China. I can't figure that one out. Where is Ford headquartered anyway? All the 2017 models are out except for the Taurus. I read on here on long ago that the Taurus life was extended a couple years. If not, what happens to the police sedans? I think Ford in more interested china than the states.

#13 ·
I have a few thoughts on this....

First, "Falcon Lover" while I don't like everything you've said, I have to say you are probably correct. I just hope its not all true.

What if Ford introduced the new Taurus and a Taurus "Active Wagon" similar to Volvo, the recently introduced E-Class All Terrain, and the Regal Wagon? Raised riding height with plenty of room for family and gear. I also like "2b2"'s idea of a new Thunderbird but I would make it a 4 door coupe, a nice and cheaper CLS.

Give the customer a cheaper Focus would not be the best thing, IMHO. People are moving towards luxury products even in the smaller vehicles. Go big or go home Ford. While I'm on the luxury subject I think Ford should introduce Lincoln products in Europe and have the Vignale serve as the transitional product.

Everyone is wanting CUVs, SUVs and the unattractive (IMHO) SUV/CUV Coupes. Ford needs to be on this and hit every niche without abandoning the sedan/coupe market completely.

Lastly, I hope Ford goes big with electric vehicles and I think "Badhac" is correct. Follow the lead of Toyota with its Prius family and Hyundai's Ionic.

(PS) "Andrew L" I too with they had never killed the Escape Hybrid. Wasn't that a good seller prior to the C-Max?

#21 ·
(PS) "Andrew L" I too with they had never killed the Escape Hybrid. Wasn't that a good seller prior to the C-Max?
I believe it was per wikipedia not sure if that includes Mariner hybrids as well or not:
2004 - 2,993
2005 - 18,797
2006 - 20,149
2007 - 21,386
2008 - 17,173
2009 - 14,787
2010 - 11,182
2011 - 10,089
2012 - 1,441

To cross reference with the C-Max
2012 - 13,309
2013 - 35,210
2014 - 27,595
2015 - 21,768

C-Max seems to have some stronger years but still makes me wonder how well the Escape Hybrid would have sold with the new body style.

#19 ·
^^ TY, scford :joyous:

disclaimer: didn't factcheck myself
GMi: the BOLT is classified as a TRUCK

Could ALL prospective 'Active's be Trucks, too?

&
pondering longs-&-shorts:
- Focus & "Focus-Sprint" instead of Fiesta
&
'nother article
Ford sees lineup changing to match demand
Automotive News

Michael Martinez - December 5, 2016

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will likely make changes to its car lineup as demand for small utilities continues to outpace that for sedans.

That could include offering crossover-style variants of certain sedans -- as it plans to do in Europe with the Fiesta subcompact’s new Active model -- or dropping certain nameplates altogether.

“Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas,” Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas, told Automotive News today. “Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio.”

Ford’s car sales dropped 13 percent in November and are down 14 percent through the first 11 months of the year.

Sedans slump
Sedans have fared the worst. Fiesta sales have led the decline, dropping 26 percent year-to-date. Focus sales have fallen 17 percent; C-Max and Mustang sales are down 13 percent; Taurus sales have dropped 11 percent and Fusion sales are down 10 percent.

Hinrichs didn’t name specific nameplates that could be cut, but noted former popular vehicles such as the Freestar minivan and Ranger midsize pickup that were killed after demand dropped.

“If you look at our past, there’s been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added,” Hinrichs said. “Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out.”

Adding debt
Separately, Hinrichs told Reuters today that Ford plans to raise about $2 billion in long-term debt. It would be the first time the company has sought to add to its automotive debt in nearly four years.

Hinrichs said the money will largely go toward investments in new technology.

“It’s an opportunistic time,” Hinrichs told Reuters. “It’s a supportive marketplace for long-term debt given where rates are, and we want to make sure that throughout the cycle of the industry we have the flexibility to do what we need to do and want to do, especially in the emerging part of the business.”

SUV options
Stephen Odell, Ford’s director of global marketing, sales and service, said there’s no indication the SUV trend will end anytime soon, but options are available to address both vehicle segments.

Last week in Germany, Ford introduced a new Active model for its Fiesta which includes a higher suspension and looks more like a crossover.

“You can address both markets in some cases with a similar product offering,” Odell said, although he declined to say if the Fiesta Active model would come to the U.S.

To help combat sluggish car demand, Ford will make all of its small cars in lower-cost Mexico.

That includes moving the Focus compact and C-Max hybrid out of the company’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne in 2018 and moving the Focus to a new $1.6 billion plant in Mexico. Ford has not said what it will do with the C-Max.

Mexican business equation
Ford’s decision to move the Focus south of the border ensured the nameplate would have a future in the U.S. that may not have been possible if Ford continued to build it in America, Hinrichs said.

“It improved the Focus business equation and allowed us to have a next-gen Focus,” Hinrichs said. “We want it to be an important part of our car offerings in the marketplace, but it’s important to recognize where that segmentation’s been going over time and what that may mean in the future about the volumes.

“I think it would be a very challenging proposition to build the next-gen Focus in the U.S.”

#20 ·
For now I see the Mid-size (Fusion, Camry, Malibu) cars growing to take over the larger (Taurus, Impala, Avalon).
I imagine once electrification/self drive takes over in a couple decades, MPG will be a non-actor, and all cars will go through a drastic reconfiguration. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "one size fits all' sedan, and maybe three sizes of CUVs as the only offerings (Expect trucks)from most manufacturers at that time.

#27 ·
That seems to be happening across all segments. Civic is almost as big as current gen Accord, with next gen growing up to current Fusion/Camry size. Fusion/Camry is already bigger than Accord who has to catch up, and make space between it and the new larger Civic. Ford seems to be catching up with the large car segment with Chrysler, where the 300 was already ahead of the pack. Riding on a big 120 inch wheelbase.

For Ford, New Taurus has already evolved, Fusion has already taken over current Taurus size, Focus has to grow(see new Civic sedan...it's huge) to make room for a new model between Focus and Fiesta. Which should enter the Model E.

But on the Lincoln side, Continental is now right size/like New Taurus, with MKZ going more toward C-Class size, no more between models for Lincoln going forward. This opens up a new larger C segment platform based entry model for Lincoln and new larger MKC. Now there is space for a new B-class SUV/wagonish vehicle from Lincoln.

As I see it, everything is shifting, but not just for Ford but it's the industry as a whole.

#23 ·
didn't see an actual Cruze thread so using this as a foreshadowing of the next Focus prices...
...plus I *like* this thread :joyous:

AutoVerdict

General Motors has announced that the new Chevrolet Cruze diesel equipped with a six-speed manual transmission will be priced at $24,670, a drop from the $25,695 starting price of the outgoing model. Moving to a nine-speed automatic transmission will cost drivers $26,270...

#30 ·
I'd like to see the 2.3 replace the 2.0 in the MKZ

#31 · (Edited)
yup :thumb: .....replacing the 2.0T
then
wonder how the 2.3 would work for the Hybrid AND an Energi? ....WITH Turbo
- still want multi-modes (like Lexoid had already = atkinson-turbo!)
- &tho wonder how a 1.5T-Energi would work?
also
- think a 2.3T (like Explorer) & 2.3Tplug-in would be great setups for the MKX, completed with 3.0T

ported to STARstang thread
:joyous:

#37 · (Edited)

Attachments

#40 · (Edited)
Just noticed the Fiesta is gone from the 2017 lineup of Ford China. :surprise2:

*The Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang and GT supercar are in a separate performance section.

Why i'm kinda worried... Apparently the bulkhead of the left-hand drive ASEAN (Thai-made) Fiestas come from China (It has a "China" stamp on the top corner).
Since most of the region (including export major markets like Australia) are right-hand drive, they will most likely prioritize these markets.
I fear for the future of the Fiesta in the few left-hand drive South East Asia markets (Philippines, Laos and Vietnam).

Attachments

#41 ·
I fear for all Ford cars. All these high riding things being the talk of the town for me is totally boring. My only hope is that EU markets still love their wagons and hatches. Hopefully Fields doesn't impose his truck only mentality on the EU.

#42 ·
There's no way he will it wouldn't make sense from a sales perspective. Fiesta and Focus still sell very well in EU.

Reactions: scford58
#48 ·
^ nope, meant start by importing the EcoSport from wherever as long as they can
but at the SAME time, plan a (as small as possible overall) Escape-based C-/B+ thingie (while ngEscape grows a 'bit') to:
- take advantage of the CuvCraze
- take over if tariffs happen
+ kinda thinking of the EcoSport as old-gen & other-thingie as probassible nextgen (a bit like how I think of the U.S.Ranger as T7 while tRotW still has one last T6-mce)
the problem is there's only one U.S Escape factory for now & it's already at 100% afaik
...wondering if MAP might yet be reRE-imagined?...

#49 ·
Why do you think Ford would delay the next new Ranger for the RotW if the primary market for midsize pickups is outside North America? Perhaps this is the reason Ford Australia's T6 team was tasked to make an Americanized version of the Ranger and next Bronco.

If Ford will make another small CUV like a C-/B+ CUV, it will have to be a Global model because that's the only way any small vehicle will be profitable.

#50 · (Edited)
thought I bumped this thread the other day or so ... oh well
Thanks to Andrew on AutoVerdict
maybe a start in a better place for non-MarkFields/non-Mr.Hatchet/future-lineup discussion?
Andrew_L said:
I think the all new Focus is supposed to be shown later this year
Ranger and Bronco are supposed to be 2018 and 2019 right?
Rumors of a Lincoln Aviator are around 2018/2019 which would mean a new Explorer too
2019 should be when the Fusion and MKZ get redone and on time if they survive the dying sedan market place
The Escape was refreshed in 2015 and is in need of an update but I think they are trying to line it up with the MKC which hasn't had a refresh and may skip one all together with a replacement.

I am sure there is more I am missing but I think the obvious suspects are:
1. Escape, killing the hybrid model was stupid IMO.
2. No MKZ Energi so Lincoln is falling behind on electrification
3. C-Max needs an update too
4. All the D cars... Flex, MKT, Taurus. Explorer needs it's update moved up as for the others either kill them or do SOMETHING with them.
- - - - - - -
crossreference (just a rendering):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.