Ford Inside News banner

What a Real Lincoln Revival Should Look Like: The Skinny with Craig Cole

7K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·

Welcome to a new editorial segment called The Skinny, hosted by your favorite Craig Cole. We hope this will be a weekly feature where Craig sounds off (gives you the skinny, if you will) on the latest news from the auto industry or whatever else he has on his mind.

Lincoln is a brand that’s been totally forgotten for more than a decade. If Ford were a parent it would be serving hard time for child abuse. But things are finally starting to improve.

A month or two ago, I tested the brand’s new MKX crossover and was pleasantly surprised. With the optional 335 horsepower EcoBoost V6 that thing hauled a Kardashian’s worth of ass. It was also quiet, comfortable and smooth.

Their smaller MKC is nice, as is the MKZ sedan, and the Navigator, well, it appeals to certain people, right?

With decent product on hand Lincoln’s sales have finally started growing again following a decade of decline, in fact, they sold more than 101,000 vehicles in the U.S. last year. The brand is also doing well in China, where they delivered nearly 12,000 units in 2015, its first full year on the books.

Clearly they’ve finally staunched the bleeding, but how can they improve their reputation and continue to grow? Well, I have a few ideas. Watch the video above for more details on my plans for Lincoln. You might be shocked at what I would do if I were in charge.
For more editorials like this one, What a Real Lincoln Revival Should Look Like: The Skinny with Craig Cole please visit AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#3 ·
When I ask myself, "Self, who's opinion do I respect with regard to Lincoln's future?" I have to say AutoGuide.com does not make the list. ****, when I ask myself, "Self, which of these threads on FIN are likely to contain useful information?" those posted by AutoGuide.com do not make the list. On the other hand, when I ask myself, "Self, do you want a good laugh today?" and answer yes AutoGuide.com is the poster for me!!!

Somebody tell Waldo he's supposed to be wearing red and white stripes.

#5 ·
Body on frame full size sedan, that's a great way to go backwards for Lincoln. I can't even imagine the criticism if they did that.

Reactions: SP1966
#6 ·
I closed the window the second he mentioned putting it on F-150's platform.....I shouldn't have even opened the link in the first place.

Reactions: Hugh and SP1966
#7 ·
A month or two ago, I tested the brand’s new MKX crossover and was pleasantly surprised. With the optional 335 horsepower EcoBoost V6 that thing hauled a Kardashian’s worth of ass.
I'm fine for silly talk on a forum, but a professional writer shouldn't say such classless things in my opinion.

#8 · (Edited)
Hopefully he was just trying to be funny. Body on frame would be the huge Presidential 'Beast' from GM. But I think his was just asking people for their ideas on what a Lincoln should be.

So here goes...

Lincoln's should be big, opulent and powerful. More 'pure luxury'' and less autobahn racer at higher tiers. Very much the direction the New Continental and New Navigator are going. For me, I want to see Lincoln as the Rolls Royce of American luxury cars in the future with their top tier models:

Lincoln Service Levels:
- Black Label Plus (includes available Lincoln Chauffeur, Lincoln Chef, Lincoln Butler service, etc)
- Black Label
- Lincoln Service

Top Tier Lincoln Black Label Plus: ($100k+) True opulence, power and service
Next Gen, larger, more upright New 'Grand' Continental = Phantom
New Next Gen Navigator and 'Grand' Navigator = Upcoming new RR SUV

2nd Tier Lincoln Black Label: ($75k+) Black Label service level, luxury and power
New Current Large Continental, new platform = Ghost
New Aviator Large SUV =

3rd Tier Lincoln Reserve: ($50k+) Exhilarating performance, Lincoln Service, luxury and power
MKZ = Midsize Luxury Sedan
MKX = Midsize Luxury CUV

4th Tier Lincoln Select: ($40k+) Entry Luxury, Lincoln Service, luxury and power
MK? = compact Sedan
MKC = compact CUV

The idea is that Lincoln would be targeting the higher tier luxury consumer. Luxury automobiles, luxury services and luxury lifestyle. The higher the tier, the higher level of services available.

#9 · (Edited)
I agree with you Bloggin!:agree: The Lincoln Motor Company should produce the best luxury automobiles. The caveat is, best should not be narrowly defined as costliest. The Lincoln Motor Company should teach the world that the best is not confined to the most expensive

Also, for the Top Tier, I'm having difficulty with the word Grand to depict the flagship models. When, I think of Grand (though it is by no means a bad car) I think of my Grand-father's Mercury Grand Marquis. :smile2: Perhaps we need to use some other superior adjectives/nouns like:

Lincoln Continental Magnanimity
Lincoln Navigator Ennoblement

I agree, it's time for the Lincoln Motor Company to redefine and build the best luxury car in the world! :cool:

#14 ·
Why are AutoGuide.com and these other product sites (selling various accessories/parts) allowed to post topics like they do on this forum?

#15 ·
I really want to see Lincoln release a new Continental eventually that will at least compete with the Mercedes S550-based Maybach. It truly needs to become the epitome of American-made luxury. I would hope that any joint Ford/Lincoln dealers will figure out a way to responsibly separate Lincoln in some way by then.

Reactions: Bloggin and hbmf3
#17 ·
Yes.....that is something that has to happen for Lincoln to truly be successful. Lincoln has to be physically separated from Ford dealerships. It is of little consequence to focus on separating the two brands based on touch points, if they will be sitting next to each other on the sales floor.

The Lincoln Way that launched in China, needs to become the culture in the US at Lincoln dealerships.

But yes.....definitely.....Lincoln MUST have their own stand alone dealerships. Buying a Lincoln needs to be a luxury 'experience', not just a purchase.

I wonder......is Black Label ONLY available at Lincoln only dealerships, or can a Ford/Lincoln dealership also sell Black Label?

#18 ·
...I wonder......is Black Label ONLY available at Lincoln only dealerships, or can a Ford/Lincoln dealership also sell Black Label?
mostly-unrelated
for ex:
those Conti videos from Galpin in LA's SanFernandoValley

dunno the physical layout of the dealership but at the same (at least general) location,
they also have Ford.
maybe Allen will say more

#20 ·
This is what Lincoln's revival would be to my tastes (It's a bit different from last time):

First off, Lincoln's revival lineup would go from the city car (leaving a gap in subcompact) to extra-fullsize segment in cars, and compact to extra-fullsize in CUVs and SUVs. The lineups would be as such:
Lincoln Futura-city car to compete with Mini and Buick's supposed version of Opel Adam. Available in three and five doors.
Lincoln Versailles-compact car based on Focus to compete with ATS successor, C-class, IS, and ILX. Available as coupe, sedan, hatch, wagon, and convertible.
Lincoln Zephyr-midsize car, to compete with TLX, E-class, A6, Regal, CTS successor, and GS. Available as a sedan, liftback, wagon, and convertible.
Lincoln Continental-fullsize, to compete with RLX, S-class, A8, LaCrosse, CT6, LS, ES, G90, K900. Available as a sedan and wagon.
Lincoln Continental Mark IX-personal luxury fullsize car. Available as a coupe and convertible
Lincoln Continental Town Car-extra fullsize, to compete with S-class LWB, A8L, CT8, LS460L. Available as a sedan and wagon.
Lincoln Cosmopolitan-MKC successor, to compete with GLC, NX, RDX, Q5.
Lincoln Sentinel-MKX successor, to compete with GLE, RX, MDX, Q7.
Lincoln Aviator, MKT successor, to compete with Enclave, Range Rover.
Lincoln Aviator Navicross, long wheelbase Aviator, to compete with Range Rover LWB.
Lincoln Navigator-Fullsize SUV, to compete with QX80, Yukon and Escalade.
Lincoln Navigator Adventurer-LWB version, to compete with Yukon XL and Escalade ESV.

Second, the trim levels wouldn't be changed. They're good as they are.

Third, Lincoln dealers would be separate from Ford dealers. And if they (the Lincoln dealers) want to be Black Labelers, they have to step up their game. They would have to be very upscale, and train their people to be the best luxury car dealermen ever. They would have the best manners. The dealership would stand out from other buildings in the area, with exotic designs.

And that's it. What do you think guys?

#23 · (Edited)
I may be in the minority but I like the idea of the flagship sedan, coupe, and SUV having actual names while the rest of the lineup continues with their current naming scheme.

A good looking near term Lincoln lineup for me would be:

Coupes

Lincoln MKE Coupe (Entry Coupe) (C Class Coupe, A5, 4 Series)
Lincoln Continental Mark (Large Coupe) (S Class Coupe, A7, 6 Series)

Sedans

Lincoln MKE (Entry) (C, A4, 3 Series)
Lincoln MKZ (Mid) (E, A6, 5 Series)
Lincoln Continental (Large) (S, A8, 7 Series)

Sport Utility Vehicles

Lincoln MKC (Entry)
Lincoln MKX/MKX-L (Mid)
Lincoln Navigator (Large)

I think this gives Lincoln a decent core of vehicles to build off of which will then allow them to focus on creating special variants:

Black Label: Trims that focus on upgraded materials and features throughout the vehicle.

Merlot Label: Trims that are sport oriented, along with upgraded engine options.

I think less emphasis on saturating the market with a million models (like BMW and Mercedes) and more emphasis on model personalizing is what Lincoln should be focusing on. No more than three vehicles should be in each segment.

#25 · (Edited)
^ afaik Lincoln "dealers" aren't ready volumewise for restricted product (like(afaik) Shelby(or The GT) stuff or Stingrays/Z06 for ChevyStores, I think);
or even like [BL]!
Imho the real reason for restricting [BL] is to eliminate all not willing/able to up their game (no carrot without a stick)
& maybe just in the wrong locationlocationlocation.
I hopexpect all Lincoln stores will rate [BL] eventually...
...'course then the dance could begin again for [WL]

I may be in the minority but I like the idea of the flagship sedan, coupe, and SUV having actual names while the rest of the lineup continues with their current naming scheme...
mostly-
-'cept for:
...Lincoln MKE Coupe (Entry Coupe) (C Class Coupe, A5, 4 Series)...
...Lincoln MKE (Entry) (C, A4, 3 Series)...
STARstang?

...I think less emphasis on saturating the market with a million models (like BMW and Mercedes) and more emphasis on model personalizing is what Lincoln should be focusing on. No more than three vehicles should be in each segment.
well, saw an article about sedan/Cuv-Suv being (like) a 40%/60% split for May
( 'nother example )
so I'm voting for max-penetration in those increasingly popular segments over ones I prefer *myself*
edit
actually prolley 20/30 + 50% for pickups

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.