Ford Inside News banner

Is this the 2018 Mustang?

13K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  badhac 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Honestly, after viewing all the pics I can find...I like most of the changes. The fascia corners seem kind of "busy" for me, but if they channel air for aero/braking purposes, I'm fine with them.

I am, naturally, going to be impatient awaiting the updated powertrain and handling improvements being detailed in road tests.

#22 ·

New Ford Mustang Convertible Debuts with Sleeker Design, More Advanced Technology and Improved Performance

DEARBORN, Mich., – Today, covers come off the new Ford Mustang convertible – America’s best-selling sports car – as it kicks off a tour of more than 50 regional auto shows across the country before going on sale in North America this fall.

Also the world’s best-selling sports coupe, Ford’s most advanced Mustang ever delivers a host of improvements, including new technology and design changes that give owners more ways than ever to customize the car to their preferences. There are three new paint colors, 12 distinct wheel choices and a customizable digital instrument cluster. More powerful engines and new MagneRide™ suspension technology provide even better performance.

#24 ·
New Ford Mustang Convertible Debuts with Sleeker Design, More Advanced Technology and Improved Performance

DEARBORN, Mich., – Today, covers come off the new Ford Mustang convertible – America’s best-selling sports car – as it kicks off a tour of more than 50 regional auto shows across the country before going on sale in North America this fall.

Also the world’s best-selling sports coupe, Ford’s most advanced Mustang ever delivers a host of improvements, including new technology and design changes that give owners more ways than ever to customize the car to their preferences. There are three new paint colors, 12 distinct wheel choices and a customizable digital instrument cluster. More powerful engines and new MagneRide™ suspension technology provide even better performance.
Wow, I like the new design a lot better on the convertible for some reason.

#30 ·
Like what I see in drop top form.

#33 ·
I'm as interested in the suspension evolution as I am in the powertrain updates. It seems like the current Mustang has "good" steering feel/response, but by being such an improved car, it found itself being compared with vehicles that were a step or two better, steering-wise. The GT350 steering is apparently sublime, at least according to a recent C/D article I just re-read.

If the chassis guys managed to make a good improvement with that in addition to the magnaride dampers and everything...the Mustang GT will make the BMW M4 even more of a questionable purchase.

#35 ·
I'm unashamedly hopeful, because the Mustang really jumped forward and had a few "if only..." things to address. The steering feel was among those niggles...and while I don't know if the current platform can be evolved to truly defeat the capabilities of its bow-tied opponent, I am optimistic that the Mustang will continue to be the better car, overall.

Reactions: badhac
#39 · (Edited)
Here's Why We Think the 2018 Mustang GT Could Make 455 Horsepower
We've got a suspicion that the V8 Mustang will get a 20-horsepower boost, based on a sneaky little hint from Ford..
Road&Track
By Chris Perkins - Jan 23, 2017

...Autoguide first noticed a tweet from a Ford communications rep, pointing out easter eggs in an image of the 2018 Mustang's new digital gauge cluster. Note the odometer, 1964.5 miles, a reference to the Mustang's first model year, and 289 miles of fuel range, a nod to the displacement of the biggest V8 in the first Mustang.

But look at those bigger numbers. A big four and a big 55. What could that mean?

Autoguide thinks this is a hint that the 2018 Mustang GT will have 455 horsepower. We're inclined to agree. Automakers tease information like this in product pictures from time to time. For example, Dodge hinted at the Hellcat's 707-hp figure by showing the radio tuned to SiriusXM's 70's on 7 channel.

Currently, the 5.0-liter V8 in the Mustang GT produces 435 horsepower. For 2018, the 5.0 gets both direct- and port-fuel-injection, and a higher compression ratio, so a 20-horsepower increase seems plausible.

We asked Ford spokesman Mike Levine, who tweeted the gauge image, whether this was the case. He sent us a picture of a gauge cluster with a big seven and a big 55, adding "we'll share more details about the new Mustang closer to launch."

In that case, we can't wait for the 755-horse Mustang which is definitely, absolutely, totally happening.

- - - - - - -

I'll go contrarian and speculate that the 455 is an intentionally misleading/under-promising easterJOKEegg...
...460?

OTOH, the tach is pegged at 4700

Attachments

#43 · (Edited)
The current 2015-2017 Mustang got a 2-star rating at the Euro NCAP. The two areas where it scored really low is "Child Occupant" 32% and "Safety Assist" 16%.
I hope the refreshed 2018 Mustang gets 5 stars.

This assessment of the Ford Mustang is based on the vehicle that has been on sale since 2015. Ford has informed Euro NCAP that orders placed after May will receive an updated vehicle, which will be launched later in 2017, and will be equipped with Pre Collision Assist (with Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking) and Lane Keeping Aid.
- http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063

The other issue is the lack of pre-tensioners on the rear seatbelts, is this on the 2018 Mustang refresh?
- http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/01/ford-mustang-deemed-unsafest-new-vehicle-in-europe.html

I wonder why Ford didn't spec the Euro Mustang this way from the beginning knowing the safety requirements needed to score well in Europe since majority of the European Ford range including the 5-star Edge crossover was equipped to score high in safety. Even the current 2014 to 2017 pre-facelift Euro EcoSport got a 4-star rating at the Euro NCAP.

#44 ·
The current 2015-2017 Mustang got a 2-star rating at the Euro NCAP. The two areas where it scored really low is "Child Occupant" 32% and "Safety Assist" 16%.
I hope the refreshed 2018 Mustang gets 5 stars.

- http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063
If I was a 2015 or newer EU Mustang owner I would be hoping Ford would announce a fix for the front airbags so they properly inflate, fix the pretensioners + load-limiters in my car.

Nice to know they will add the safety features for new orders after May, but no mention of the really important faults aka air bags and seat belt pretensioners + load-limiters. Dummies.

Reactions: AM222 and 2b2
#46 ·
Not a fan of that color or those wheels. It's very SN95, kinda Cobra R, and not in a very good way.

I'll take a Bullitt or a dark grey of some kind. Love the 2018 but this is my least favorite spec'd version so far.

#49 ·
I have to agree, those wheels don't look right on there to me.

#47 ·
Those are high quality pics thanks for the link AM222.

Reactions: AM222
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.