Ford Inside News banner

Pininfarina HK GT: the perfect hat for a Mustang platform based Lincoln?

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Topnotch 
#1 · (Edited)
Geneva... more surprises. More luxury sport sedans. This autoshow is the show of the sedans: Mercedes-AMG GT 4-door, BMW M8 Grand Coupe, Peugeot 508, Aston Martin Lagonda. And here the Pininfarina HK GT: a luxury sport sedan, electrified.

The car is gorgeous, futuristic and very, very atractive. The interior is great. The dimensions? Almost the same as the 2018 Mustang, with 10 in more in wheelbase. Is this the perfect hat to make a very exciting Lincoln on a Mustang platform? This car could succed in USA, China and Europe, attracting new young customers.

How much money could ask Pininfarina for this design? Put a Lincoln grill at the front and a marvelous Lincoln interior on it and we will have the Lincoln we want.

P.S.: keep the gull-wings doors... maybe will be expensive to built , but these feature could make this car an instant cult and collectible vehicle

the pics...

See less See more
#2 ·
It almost has a Lincoln grille with the vertical(ish) lit bars......the old waterfall grille that is.

#3 ·
Looks like we are entering the age of customizable grills. I'm sure there will soon be options for patterns, colors, and graphics that can be controlled by the driver.

Reactions: 2b2
#4 · (Edited)
Pininfarina HK GT: the perfect hat for a Lincoln-based TaurinoBird? 8->

perhaps someone can help me explain why/how this vehicle is a trite, re-hash of outdated elements
(esp the interior)
while
the
Martin
Lagonda Concept
is an inspired, work of Art (with a Capital 'A')?

Looks like we are entering the age of customizable grills. I'm sure there will soon be options for patterns, colors, and graphics that can be controlled by the driver.
For the morning and afternoon commute to work, I now adjust my seat height and angle differently. I could use the left thumbprint for morning, and the right one for the afternoon!
Or...
with a fullyProgrammable CarDriver Interface, you tell the car ONCE that your preference changes regularly by time of day
&...
you could also 'advise' the car to ask occasionally if that's still what you prefer
:nerd: ...unless your car's name is HAL
What The
is TAKING so Long??

#6 ·
Except for the grille, I actually like the Hyundai concept better (And yes, Lincoln dropped the ball when they abandoned their waterfall grille as a motif.). The Hyundai has better packaging with actual rear seat legroom. The sculpted sides on both concepts are overdone but the Hyundai's less so. The HK GT's interior is trick though; very cool.

It must be **** being a Ford/Lincoln designer right now, seeing all of the energy and imagination displayed by all of these other auto manufacturers around the world.

All these companies seem to be designing sedans. Hmmmm ...

#7 · (Edited)
I don't know what Lincoln needs but a waterfall grille isn't going to do anything for me personally, it's a very generic motif. At least the current grille looks custom to Lincoln and doesn't let you see into the front-end like all Lincoln designs before it.

As for Ford design...pretty sure all they are doing (especially in Europe) is copying everything they admire from design leaders and tweaking the shape of the Ford corporate grille. The new Focus is almost laughably derivative... yet it should be momentarily handsome until it's quickly outdated by the next design trend Ford did not itself establish. I just hope this Focus is actually good this time...but I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

I guess I don't mind that Ford is obviously riffing on everybody as long as the end result is attractive.

As for Lincoln, it's still the only part of Ford actually progressing design and technology.

#8 ·
I don't know what Lincoln needs but a waterfall grille isn't going to do anything for me personally, it's a very generic motif. At least the current grille looks custom to Lincoln and doesn't let you see into the front-end like all Lincoln designs before it.
With a little creativity, a waterfall grille, even one somewhat resembling the HK GT, would at least reflected Lincoln heritage unlike the I've-seen-it-before squared oval. There is nothing more generic than the current Lincoln grille. Any freshman at a design school would have gotten a C+ for that laughably derivative effort.

As for Ford design...pretty sure all they are doing (especially in Europe) is copying everything they admire from design leaders and tweaking the shape of the Ford corporate grille. The new Focus is almost laughably derivative... yet it should be momentarily handsome until it's quickly outdated by the next design trend Ford did not itself establish. I just hope this Focus is actually good this time...but I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

I guess I don't mind that Ford is obviously riffing on everybody as long as the end result is attractive.

As for Lincoln, it's still the only part of Ford actually progressing design and technology.
If "progressing" means "copying everything they admire," then yes, I have to agree.

#10 ·
I like the StarShadow pattern. It doesn't do much for the grille IMO and it would look better blacked-out. The rounded-oval is so unoriginal and ordinary; having been used in some form by so many. I think that the design blandness was purposeful--to keep Lincoln out of the spotlight.

#12 · (Edited)
^TY for the chops, @Rick Astley :thumb:
tho imho it's too soon:
they really MUST get the "new"/post-ribcage grille(s) as their ONLY style for a full modelyear FIRST!
( guess that means AFTER they kill off the MKT for the Aviator )
+ save a new-style for the cD6 ...and distribute THAT immediately!!
ANDbut...
I don't know what Lincoln needs but a waterfall grille isn't going to do anything for me personally, it's a very generic motif. At least the current grille looks custom to Lincoln and doesn't let you see into the front-end like all Lincoln designs before it...
except for the BRILLIANT "StarShadow" insert pattern...
I like the StarShadow pattern. It doesn't do much for the grille IMO and it would look better blacked-out....
...I'd much rather they varied the grille-opening shape a bit first
old chops HERE ...wish they'd had the true-StarShadow pattern like Navi

#13 ·
That actually looks pretty good. I like the "3D-ness" of it.

#15 ·
It does make me think of the Volvos on the Conti chop there.

#16 ·
That Conti with the waterfall grill is giving me Maserati vibes.

Reactions: 2b2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.