Lincoln EV is coming! - Ford Inside News Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Lincoln EV is coming!

https://www.autonews.com/world-congr...spired-project

Kumar Galhotra, the head of Ford NorthAmerica, say Lincoln will build an EV on the Ford Mach E platform, but with an absolutly different design.

"The BEV technology gives us so much freedom to sculpt that vehicle exactly how we want it. We're going to create elegant Lincoln BEVs."

"You have a lot more flexibility," he said. "It's not so much if we're going to be aggressive or not. It's how do we use all those pieces of technology to deliver on the brand essence of Lincoln, which will be understated, quiet luxury."
ZanatWork, hbmf3, gjrip and 2 others like this.

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage
Re: Lincoln EV is coming!

Im really starting to feel confident in the direction Lincoln is heading.
Extreme4x4 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Think about how many mis-steps Cadillac has had in just the last decade or so where they mis-read their customer.

XLR
ELR
SRX
And now the ultra expensive CT6 has been rethought, and may not find a place in their showroom

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Think about how many mis-steps Cadillac has had in just the last decade or so where they mis-read their customer.

XLR
ELR
SRX
And now the ultra expensive CT6 has been rethought, and may not find a place in their showroom
I'll mostly disagree about the XLR being that much of a customer misread as an economy misread, followed by the traditional GM reluctance to make needed improvements until it's too late. Being mostly a rebodied Corvette (which was absorbing the vast bulk of the development costs), GM could have responded to the plasticky-interior complaints and dropped in a newer infotainment system. But they didn't because they'd gotten away with not doing so on other models. So when the economy tanked, aspiring buyers became hard to come by, while those who could buy an SL mostly continued to do so.

Fun Fact: XLRs were (and I believe still are) the only Cadillacs to offer actively cooled seats.

Ironically, they overcorrected some of their interior issues with the ELR, offering such 'luxury' features as a power glovebox door and a power sliding cupholder cover. But by then they had already started using CUE - the Cadillac Unusable Expletive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
I'll mostly disagree about the XLR being that much of a customer misread as an economy misread, followed by the traditional GM reluctance to make needed improvements until it's too late. Being mostly a rebodied Corvette (which was absorbing the vast bulk of the development costs), GM could have responded to the plasticky-interior complaints and dropped in a newer infotainment system. But they didn't because they'd gotten away with not doing so on other models. So when the economy tanked, aspiring buyers became hard to come by, while those who could buy an SL mostly continued to do so.

Fun Fact: XLRs were (and I believe still are) the only Cadillacs to offer actively cooled seats.

Ironically, they overcorrected some of their interior issues with the ELR, offering such 'luxury' features as a power glovebox door and a power sliding cupholder cover. But by then they had already started using CUE - the Cadillac Unusable Expletive.
Your complaints applied to a $100K 2 seater, were not excusable.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Ford Ka

I hope they’ll man up and make a version that’ll beat the P100D, cause there’s no way in **** Im buying a EV unless it’s 0-60 is under 4sec
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:14 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ_54 View Post
I hope they’ll man up and make a version that’ll beat the P100D, cause there’s no way in **** Im buying a EV unless it’s 0-60 is under 4sec
Ford can't do that. Even Porsche can't do it. Competing with Tesla requires building the EV from ground up for EV efficiency and speed. This current first round of EVs from ICE manufacturers are first gen EV drivetrains with hybrid ICE top hats, that has to work on an EV and ICE vehicle.

0-60 in 2.4 seconds for a large family sedan. 1.9 seconds for the BASE new Roadster. Even the midsize Model 3 does it at 3.2 seconds and the new larger Model Y Crosover/SUV does it at 3.5 seconds. You just can't get there with half efforts and hybrid ice designs.

The only Lincoln EV Ford may consider is a big hybrid PHEV SUV one day years from now....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Even as a performance guy, I'm not too worried about going after Tesla's acceleration numbers. To me, Elon's pet car company is one big PR gimmick whose supporting technology is still in its infancy. He definitely keeps things interesting with both incredible concepts and drooling idiocy...but the styling of his cars is mostly forgettable, and only very recently has anything like profit occurred.

Frankly, I think that carmakers (particularly Ford/Lincoln, naturally) that understand the market and its customers better will slowly marginalize Tesla motors. The SEC and the media have been turning on Elon, so I figure he'll spend more of the ganja-afflicted senses on rockets, trains, and flamethrowers going forward.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Ford Explorer

Update on Ford EV's

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/3221558002/
ZanatWork likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Ford Explorer

Interesting to see what Ford's next gen of BEV's will look like. To those who say Ford is late to the party, I have to laugh. What party exactly, the one where you lose thousands on every sale? BEV tech moves at a snails pace, so not like the competition will be leap frogging them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page