Mustang sub-brand in the future? - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Mustang sub-brand in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Is not as simple as you say. By 2002 when Porsche launched the Cayenne , the brand was selling one model: the 911.
Don't forget the mid-engine Boxster which by then was about six years old and Porsche's top selling model at the time.
pffan1990 and glyphics like this.

Last edited by AM222; 03-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 AM
Ford Flex

At one time, Porsche had all models starting with a 9...911, 914, 928, and 944
glyphics likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
This idea is just as bad as a Corvette brand IMO. I just don't get dilluting a name to reap a few sales. Reminds me of how Dodge whored out the Charger name on a 4 door family sedan.
If Ford does make another sedan down the road, Dodge used Charger from a 2 dr coupe into a 4 dr sedan, I suggest Ford using Thunderbird as a possible name for the next sedan.
ehaase and pffan1990 like this.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
So here I could argue in favor of a limited Corvette sub-brand, with something like keeping the current front-engine model, and it'd be Corvette Stingray, while the mid engine model could be Corvette Zora.

That said, I'd be hesitant to expand it too much - do you make a Corvette SUV? Corvette sedan? I'd lean toward no.
We're in agreement! I'd be all for a couple, maybe even three varieties of Corvette assuming they're all two seat sports cars. Front engined base model like always, mid-engined Ferrari 488 competitor, and a top end, limited production hypercar. And no to any crossovers!
glyphics likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
The same was said by Porsche enthusiasts when the Cayenne was launched. The rest is recent history ...

The only thing that Mustang and Porsche have in common, is, well, absolutely nothing.
Porsche is a premium engineered sports car brand that people aspire to. Mustang is a value sports coupe. I could very easily be wrong, but I just don't think there is a market for Mustang inspired sedans or CUV's. But what do I know.
pffan1990 likes this.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Ford Ka

1. Thunderbird 2+2 No-touch electric roof
2. Mark: extend wheelbase (116-120"), no-touch roof, ALL THE TOYS.
Possible hard-shell winter roof with 'Opera' window - the old-fashion way
AND just a little wheel hump at the rear
Lastly Hood Ornaments that fold away and are relatively safe.
Bring it back!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Focus RS WRC

Only if the sub-brand Mustang is positioned as a sporty, sedan/coupe-based brand. Ford and Lincoln have enough SUVs/trucks, etc. so another brand with more SUVs and trucks makes no sense; might as well revive Mercury.

Others here have remarked that getting into a low vehicle (I guess they call them sedans, huh) is a chore. Well, there is a demographic for whom that kind of "agility" is not a problem. I'm not of that demographic (I'm 75) but I have no problem climbing in and out of my sedan. Taller sedans coupes and convertibles would not offend me but the death of sedans is overstated. A lot of people like them.

Mustangs should be sporty and have no pretense for off-road performance. IMO, High riding, high COG vehicles shouldn't be associated with Mustang. Unfortunately, it seems that this Mustang-inspired truck flight has been cleared for takeoff.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
We're in agreement! I'd be all for a couple, maybe even three varieties of Corvette assuming they're all two seat sports cars. Front engined base model like always, mid-engined Ferrari 488 competitor, and a top end, limited production hypercar. And no to any crossovers!
Yeah, I guess. Maybe, just maybe the Camaro might be better off as a Corvette rather than a Chevy - an indication of how far down the Chevrolet image has been allowed to fall.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:00 PM
Focus RS WRC

^In fact, all the talk about a Mustang brand may be an indication of how far down the image of Ford has been allowed to fall.
pffan1990 likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I don't see Ford's image as lacking...even though the corporate communication has been incredibly bizarre of late.

I think Mustang traits can be cooked into other offerings without a "Mustang brand". I wouldn't be surprised to see the pony car's styling cues and other "DNA" showing up on other Ford performance offerings.

That said, I'd love variants that added awd and maybe a "shooting brake" variant...but that's simply because I'm a fan of Mustangs in the wet-road Pacific Northwest that regularly carries guitar gear around....
wingsnut likes this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page