Ford Is Under Criminal Investigation Over Emissions - Ford Inside News Community
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By AM222
  • 4 Post By wingsnut
  • 1 Post By MKII
  • 1 Post By badhac

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Garage
Ford Is Under Criminal Investigation Over Emissions

Ford revealed today that it was under criminal investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice over its emissions certification process, which, on the surface at least, is reminiscent, of course, of Dieselgate. But Ford says defeat devices are not involved, though they “cannot predict the outcome” of the case.

Let’s go straight to the horse’s mouth, in this case a Ford SEC filing posted today. Ford said:

"As previously reported, the Company has become aware of a potential concern involving its U.S. emissions certification process. This matter currently focuses on issues relating to road load estimations, including analytical modeling and coastdown testing. The potential concern does not involve the use of defeat devices (see page 10 of our 2018 Form 10-K Report for a definition of defeat devices). We voluntarily disclosed this matter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board on February 18, 2019 and February 21, 2019, respectively. Subsequently, the U.S. Department of Justice opened a criminal investigation into the matter. In addition, we have notified a number of other state and federal agencies. We are fully cooperating with all government agencies. Because this matter is still in the preliminary stages, we cannot predict the outcome, and we cannot provide assurance that it will not have a material adverse effect on us."

The “as previously reported” there refers to a different document filed with the SEC earlier this year that disclosed that Ford had reported to the Environmental Protection Agency a “potential concern.” That document didn’t say that the concern could be criminal in nature, as today’s does, though it did iterate that that it had nothing to do with defeat devices, a reference to Volkswagen.

The Detroit Free Press says that an anonymous employee first reported the potential issue last September, and that it involves the misreporting of emissions data on vehicles from 2017 and later. That misreporting was apparently the result of a possibly flawed mathematical model the company was using to calculate the data, according to the Associated Press.

I’ve emailed Ford and the Justice Department for comment, and will update this story if I hear back.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-is-under-c...ons-1834328111
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Ford Focus

Shhhh looks like the Ford Ranger investigation just turned out a lot bigger...

Boy oh boy...this will blow up! I am wondering what Wingnut will have to say, I mean he downplayed the investigation SO MUCH...

Could be a good deal for anyone that has bought new Fords recently (like me...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] )

Last edited by hellb0y; 04-26-2019 at 06:59 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Ford Is Under Criminal Investigation Over Emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellb0y View Post

Boy oh boy...this will blow up! I am wondering what Wingnut will have to say, I mean he downplayed the investigation SO MUCH...

Could be a good deal for anyone that has bought new Fords recently (like me...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] )
If you've just bought a Ford, you probably know the fuel economy of your own vehicle. I look at real world numbers.

Ford is the one that approached the EPA and California Air Resources Board, why are there criminal charges? Unlike VW, Ford isn't hiding anything.

I think this is just like any car manufacturer that announces a recall. Out of curiosity does every car company that issues a recall have criminal charges?
wingsnut likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 04-27-2019 at 01:40 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Ford Explorer

Ford recognized a potential error and took the initiative to correct. They did the right thing, in this litigious crazy environment we are in, by not sitting on it which would be viewed as a cover up. They will be completely exonerated. William Barr guarantees it.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:42 AM
Ford Kuga

The matter was initially raised by a whistle blower inside Ford in September.

Ford first announced the internal investigation in February. Ford is conducting an internal investigation of its own to determine whether its vehicles get worse gas mileage and emit more pollutants than what's advertised on the sticker at dealerships.

April 26 -- The Justice Department has launched a criminal investigation into whether Ford violated the U.S. emissions certification process.
badhac likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Garage

This brings up a point though, the car manufacturers shouldnt be the ones certifying their emissions and fuel economy.
FloridaMatt likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:

This is from Ford reporting to the EPA there were miscalculations.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
Quote:

This is from Ford reporting to the EPA there were miscalculations.
Yeah...the last time this happened Ford gave owners a payout between $200-$1000, I don’t remember a criminal investigation happening back then though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page