Poor Sales Have Sealed The Fate Of Ford Edge In The UK, Other Countries Will Follow - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage
Re: Poor Sales Have Sealed The Fate Of Ford Edge In The UK, Other Countries Will Foll

Speaking of Ford UK, they're closing their Wales engine plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Ford Flex

Re: Poor Sales Have Sealed The Fate Of Ford Edge In The UK, Other Countries Will Foll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
F-series was down 0.34%, or 284 units for May. Yes, 284. Down 2,962 on the year. Hardly a blip on F-series volume.
and he fails to mention that Camry sales are down for the year, Accord sales tanked BIG TIME, Civic was down. The Explorer sales were due to the line being down until the 2020 model comes out this summer. If he is going to pick and choose, he could at least show a little credibility.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
New Puma compact crossover (Europe and maybe US) in the next 6 months
Is there a possibility the Puma will be sold in the US?
If it will only be manufactured in Europe, I have a feeling they won't bring it over.

Quote:
WTF? Edge not profitable in Europe? In Spain, the Edge start at 46K €, before any option! For that money, you can buy another medium size crossover of a premium brand (Land Rover Discovery, Jaguar E-Pace, BMW X3, Audi Q3...)
According to Ford Spain's website, the base Edge Trend AWD (somewhere between SE & SEL trim of the US Edge) starts at 38,112€, while the Titanium AWD starts at 41,112€.

The base BMW X3 sDrive20i (2WD) starts at 45,850€
The Jaguar E-Pace and Audi Q3 you mentioned small C-segment SUV/CUVs.

In Europe, a small vehicle with a luxury badge will most likely win over a larger lower-priced vehicle without a luxury badge. My guess, extra size is not a selling point over there unlike the US.

Last edited by AM222; 06-13-2019 at 06:13 AM.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Is there a possibility the Puma will be sold in the US?
If it will only be manufactured in Europe, I have a feeling they won't bring it over.

According to Ford Spain's website, the base Edge Trend AWD (somewhere between SE & SEL trim of the US Edge) starts at 38,112€, while the Titanium AWD starts at 41,112€.

The base BMW X3 sDrive20i (2WD) starts at 45,850€
The Jaguar E-Pace and Audi Q3 you mentioned small C-segment SUV/CUVs.

In Europe, a small vehicle with a luxury badge will most likely win over a larger lower-priced vehicle without a luxury badge. My guess, extra size is not a selling point over there unlike the US.

The Edge in Spain ( i live here) cost, in the basic trim , 46125 €. If you get some special discounts (stock vehicles, some kind of financing) you can get it for 38112 €. I know it very well because I´m searching for a car and I´m consulting many brands.

For example, a loaded Focus Vignale and a tech loaded new Mercedes-Benz A Class compact can be purchased with the same down payment and leasing plan at 48 months! (arround 8000€ of down payment and 300 € of monthly payment) What would you choose in this case?

Ford have a problem in Europe with its marketing and prices schemes.
joseodiaga4 likes this.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
The Edge in Spain ( i live here) cost, in the basic trim , 46125 €. If you get some special discounts (stock vehicles, some kind of financing) you can get it for 38112 €. I know it very well because I´m searching for a car and I´m consulting many brands.

For example, a loaded Focus Vignale and a tech loaded new Mercedes-Benz A Class compact can be purchased with the same down payment and leasing plan at 48 months! (arround 8000€ of down payment and 300 € of monthly payment) What would you choose in this case?

Ford have a problem in Europe with its marketing and prices schemes.
Depends whether you need to space of the Edge or if something smaller will work.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 AM
Ford Kuga

Ford Media noise prior to launching Edge in Europe - August 05, 2016 Automotive News Europe article.

Ford is targeting premium rivals with its new European flagship, the Edge.
"We see the competition as the Volvo XC60 and Audi Q5"
In Europe, the Edge will be sold only with a diesel engine
Executives say that all trim levels of the SUV are aimed at winning premium buyers.
Ford has raised its annual sales predictions for the Edge in Europe to 25,000-30,000 from 20,000 when it first showed the European production model in 2014, citing booming SUV sales.
What's good: Quiet, spacious and among the best in its class for driving dynamics. It also looks good.

What's bad: Poor fuel economy and high CO2 emissions.

Launch date: May

Base price: 29,995 pounds (UK)

Where built: Oakville, Canada

Lowest CO2 emissions: 149g/km

Main rivals: Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Santa Fe

https://europe.autonews.com/article/...opean-flagship

The dealership here in Tallinn still have the same Edge's in inventory since it was launched.
I have seen 1 on the streets here without dealer plates.

Link shows the inventory and discount pricing of 8,000+ euro's https://ford.infoauto.ee/kampaania/l...ny&any&any&any

IMO limiting the powertrain choice of diesel only was a major bad decision at a time when consumers were moving away from diesel.

Too bad because prior to the face lift the Edge is one of the better looking high riders.
falcon lover and Bloggin like this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

Last edited by MKII; 06-14-2019 at 04:37 AM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 PM
FIN Staff Member

The glut of overpriced cuv/suvs and slower model sales is having an impact on profits across the board and globally, and it will just get worse. Automotive news expects in the next few years the price war between the 240+ cuv/suv models will drive the margins below what sedans are today. Brands what have 'desirable' compact and midsize sedans will do well, but those betting everything on cuv/suvs will struggle.

Looking at the Edge, the Fusion sedan on the same platform outsold it by over 11K units for 1st qtr, and that lead keeps expanding each month.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Ford Explorer

Once again, volumes is not the goal, but profit is. Even if price wars break out, there will still be much higher margins than sedans with huge incentives on already pathetic margins.

Nice try bloggin, pretending that the huge demand for CUV's will somehow hurt Ford' emphasis on them. Between an all new Escape, Explorer, Bronco and mini Bronco alone will generate massive profits -- completely ignoring the Lincoln factor. Further profit will come from not wasting billions on upgrading low margin sedan products, while allowing for deeper capital investment in their high margin products and new tech. I see no downside here whatsoever.

Keep up the comic relief though
ehaase likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wingsnut; 06-14-2019 at 10:48 PM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Between an all new Escape, Explorer, Bronco and mini Bronco alone will generate massive profits -- completely ignoring the Lincoln factor. Further profit will come from not wasting billions on upgrading low margin sedan products, while allowing for deeper capital investment in their high margin products and new tech.
I guess the other question is: Will the global market benefit from these new Ford SUV models, particularly the much anticipated Bronco and baby Bronco?

I recall when a Ford Australia executive was asked about the upcoming Bronco, the reply was there will be no right-hand drive version. In other words, it won't be a global model like the Wrangler.

Last edited by AM222; 06-17-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Between an all new Escape, Explorer, Bronco and mini Bronco alone will generate massive profits -- completely ignoring the Lincoln factor. Further profit will come from not wasting billions on upgrading low margin sedan products, while allowing for deeper capital investment in their high margin products and new tech.
I guess the other question is: Will the global market benefit from these new Ford SUV models, particularly the much anticipated Bronco and baby Bronco?

I recall when a Ford Australia executive was asked about the upcoming Bronco, the reply was there will be no right-hand drive version. In other words, it won't be a global model like the Wrangler.
Likely not...as we speak, markets outside NA are starving for new models.

As the environment gets more challenging abroad, I predict Ford will exit some markets as competition figures out how to squeeze more profit out of sales and Ford can’t keep up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page