2020 Ford Explorer. Begin the reviews and comparo - Page 14 - Ford Inside News Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2020 Ford Explorer. Begin the reviews and comparo

Explorer has moved upscale. Some refuse to try to understand this simple fact. Stripping down an entry level pricepoint In addition to very high trim models) for additional sales, is not a mistake or a bad idea. It is brilliant. I think I will trust Ford's experience on this matter.

Bottom line, Kia has NOTHING to compete with a high trim Explorer, or the Aviator. So let them enjoy this little win.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wingsnut; 10-04-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Explorer has moved upscale. Some refuse to try to understand this simple fact. Stripping down an entry level pricepoint In addition to very high trim models) for additional sales, is not a mistake or a bad idea. It is brilliant. I think I will trust Ford's experience on this matter.

Bottom line, Kia has NOTHING to compete with a high trim Explorer, or the Aviator. So let them enjoy this little win.
Moved upscale hey!

“ In interior style and quality, the Telluride doesn't just pummel the Ford. It punches well above its weight and delivers a near-luxury experience despite a price that screams "value." In contrast, the Explorer is a somber study in penny-pinching cost savings and hard, black plastic. If you measure luxuriousness by anything other than size, there are $30K compact cars that are more upscale than this particular $46,810 Explorer.”
post #133 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Wow.
How can someone just not understand that an entry level XLT will not have the same materials, textures, content, etc. as a Platinum, that is 4 trim levels higher.

The Force is weak with this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #134 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:03 AM
Focus RS

Quote:
Wow.
How can someone just not understand that an entry level XLT will not have the same materials, textures, content, etc. as a Platinum, that is 4 trim levels higher.

Lol you have to be dumb omg....COMPETITION is charging less for more, I don’t know what else to say - more reviews like this will quickly throw the Explorer down the toilet.
post #135 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellb0y View Post
Quote:
Wow.

Lol you have to be dumb omg....COMPETITION is charging less for more, I don’t know what else to say - more reviews like this will quickly throw the Explorer down the toilet.
...this from the comment section bothered me the most...

”As someone who's driven every iteration of the 2020 Explorer since the hand-built ones came off the line for us to test, I can attest to the, um... non-goodness of them. The Police Interceptors are cool because they have the light bar inside at the top of the windshield, and the ST isn't bad, it's just trying to overcome the regular Exploder's inherent faults.

The average Joe love theirs. Cool. That means I and my colleagues did our job. But unless it's a "special edition", the basic machine is lacking in a LOT of improvements we all stopped bothering to report because Ford didn't give a $hit.

[Case in point: If your rear washer doesn't spray fluid even though you hear the pump and know there's plenty of fluid in the tank, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T KEEP TRYING. You'll find out what we did: The fluid IS pumping, it's just into the right side panel in the cargo area where it causes a "cool" waterfall effect that will soak the electronics back there, the carpet and anything you have on the floor.]

I don't know what Kia/Hyundai's QC procedure is, but that's something I'm sure they'd look into to fixing. After like my 40th one if it wasn't actively on fire you didn't bother with reporting it because it went nowhere.

[I do like the mode knob, though. Not that I ever wasn't in "Sport", but on my way there you could see the dash screen do all kinds of color changing like green with leaves for Eco, falling snow for, well, you know what for, etc.]“

...I’m not sure what is going on inside Ford, but given the problems with the launch, it looks like a program manager somewhere **** the bed.
post #136 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Focus RS

MotorTrend was a little more polite...it brushes through the problems C&D highlighted - no wonder why some auto makers hate C&D so much....here, another win for the competition:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyun...uv-comparison/
post #137 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post

”As someone who's driven every iteration of the 2020 Explorer since the hand-built ones came off the line for us to test, I can attest to the, um... non-goodness of them. The Police Interceptors are cool because they have the light bar inside at the top of the windshield, and the ST isn't bad, it's just trying to overcome the regular Exploder's inherent faults.

The average Joe love theirs. Cool. That means I and my colleagues did our job. But unless it's a "special edition", the basic machine is lacking in a LOT of improvements we all stopped bothering to report because Ford didn't give a $hit.

[Case in point: If your rear washer doesn't spray fluid even though you hear the pump and know there's plenty of fluid in the tank, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T KEEP TRYING. You'll find out what we did: The fluid IS pumping, it's just into the right side panel in the cargo area where it causes a "cool" waterfall effect that will soak the electronics back there, the carpet and anything you have on the floor.]

I don't know what Kia/Hyundai's QC procedure is, but that's something I'm sure they'd look into to fixing. After like my 40th one if it wasn't actively on fire you didn't bother with reporting it because it went nowhere.

[I do like the mode knob, though. Not that I ever wasn't in "Sport", but on my way there you could see the dash screen do all kinds of color changing like green with leaves for Eco, falling snow for, well, you know what for, etc.]“

...I’m not sure what is going on inside Ford, but given the problems with the launch, it looks like a program manager somewhere **** the bed.

Did they actually type 'Exploder'?

No hateful bias there - wow. If so, the entire review is suspect and thus disqualified. No question.

Meh, it's easy for the low volume competition to throw a bit more content out there to compete with top sellers, who are moving up scale with far more luxury and performance, and decontenting a bit on the low end for those extra sales. Range of price is plan here. Better interior bits, better NVH and power and better driving dynamics (all denounced in these Korean comparisons) are simply a higher trim box check away. And in those higher trim Explorer levels, I see nothing from the Koreans to compete. That is where Ford want's to be the most competitive, because that is where the margins are. Clearly. Let them have their 4-5K unit sales/month averaging $43K......where Ford is now interested in ~15-20K (including fleet) with ATP's closer to $55K.

Last edited by wingsnut; 10-05-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #138 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:

No hateful bias there - wow. If so, the entire review is suspect and thus disqualified. No question.

Meh, it's easy for the low volume competition to throw a bit more content out there to compete with top sellers, who are moving up scale with far more luxury and performance, and decontenting a bit on the low end for those extra sales. Range of price is plan here. Better interior bits, better NVH and power and better driving dynamics (all denounced in these Korean comparisons) are simply a higher trim box check away. And in those higher trim Explorer levels, I see nothing from the Koreans to compete. That is where Ford want's to be the most competitive, because that is where the margins are. Clearly.
...no, comment from the comment section from a QC tester.
post #139 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
...no, comment from the comment section from a QC tester.
Got it.

post #140 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Focus RS

[QUOTE=wingsnut;417132]
Quote:

Meh, it's easy for the low volume competition to throw a bit more content out there to compete with top sellers, who are moving up scale with far more luxury and performance, and decontenting a bit on the low end for those extra sales. Range of price is plan here. Better interior bits, better NVH and power and better driving dynamics (all denounced in these Korean comparisons) are simply a higher trim box check away. And in those higher trim Explorer levels, I see nothing from the Koreans to compete. That is where Ford want's to be the most competitive, because that is where the margins are. Clearly. Let them have their 4-5K unit sales/month averaging $43K......where Ford is now interested in ~15-20K (including fleet) with ATP's closer to $55K.
MotorTrend disagrees:

‘ The Explorer's interior is a notable step down. It feels built to a price—driver and passengers will find themselves surrounded by black plastic. (Adding AWD to our XLT tester would have brought the as-tested price to about $2,000 below the Palisade.) There are some metallic trim pieces and detail stitching, but this is a significantly lower-quality cabin than the Hyundai's; our interior criticism unfortunately holds true with more expensive 2020 Explorers, too.’

And you actually correct, Genesis occupies that space...at higher prices you are now going against Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Audi and if the Explorer can’t compete within its own category, it will fall apart when it starts to compete with real lux SUVs

Last edited by hellb0y; 10-05-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page