Ford Inside News banner

2020 Ford Explorer. Begin the reviews and comparo

70K views 282 replies 26 participants last post by  LincolnFanFl 
#1 · (Edited)
The new Explorer is here... almost. And the car journalists begin the reviews and comparo. Here some of them....

Is the new Explorer good enough?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/18/2020-ford-explorer-first-drive-review-hh4d37b/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/explorer/2020/2020-ford-explorer-and-explorer-hybrid-review/

"...Sure, its rear rows aren't as spacious as the class leaders', its cabin quality is unremarkable, and there's room for tech feature improvement. Its basic functionality as a family hauler is sound, but ultimately surpassed by top rivals. Yet, the new Explorer balances that with unmatched capability and performance, plus a driving experience that's different, and often better, than everything else. In the end, it makes for a far more noteworthy choice than if it was just another me-too crossover..."

"...Overall, the 2020 Explorer has more style, capability, and breadth than its predecessor. Whether it vaults to the top of the segment is the subject of future comparisons, but this latest model packs enough goods to retain its status as an American sweetheart..."

For Autoblog and Motor Trend is good enough...

See less See more
#4 ·
Explorer really is an attractive SUV. I like what I am seeing in terms of powertrain options and moving upscale with RWD. There is very little to compete really. Just the base 2.3L is a compelling package, easily superior to an NA 3.5L. As for the hybrid, I do think Ford will shake things up by offering so much utility while still improving fuel, especially with cheap gas getting cheaper. Should do well

#5 ·
This is a great vehicle. That said, I still think they should have re-thought the face and interior dash.
I hope the Bronco proves to be more my style. I would either buy a Bronco and give up the third row, or buy a 2 year old standard length Expedition if I still thought I needed it.

#16 · (Edited)
and what many people forget is that this SUV is only a drive in drive out tune away from running some very serious numbers. Try doing that with an atmo V6 engined whatever...and then there's the promise of the performance PHeV 3.0 EB coming next year with SRT like power and torque.

Truly, what Ford needs is a smaller/lighter CD6 RWD/AWD Edge ST below Explorer, something drivers can really get their teeth into.
Now that would be something...

#19 ·
The Autoblog ST review was kinda off-putting, because it reminded me of the most recent Fusion ST/Sport reviews: not quite an insane performance vehicle, but more than a stripe and spoiler job.

Granted, I wasn't expecting it to be as hairy-chested as the SRT stuff, but I am disappointed in the numb steering. One of the qualities of RWD is improved steering feel...at least, generally speaking. BMW has managed to forget that in recent years.

#23 · (Edited)
Reviews are starting to come in...from Yahoo Autos:

The engine has plenty of power and the transmission works well, but this pairing still has some flaws. Right off the bat, there is no mistaking that there’s just a four-cylinder engine under the hood. It’s a bit noisy, with a raspy quality that isn’t appropriate for a midsized SUV, especially one that costs $50,000. The sound gives the impression that the engine is really working hard. This, combined with the wind noise, quickly becomes tiresome.

It can be challenging to drive the Explorer in suburban settings. When starting up from a stop, such as at a traffic light or pulling into traffic from a side street, the Explorer lurches forward. That’s followed by rough shifts from first to second gear, and from second to third. Plus, the transmission tends to hold on to a lower gear longer than it needs to, which makes the engine noise worse.

Drivers have commented that the Explorer has a somewhat stiff ride around town and that they can feel every ripple and crack that the SUV drives over.

The cabin's fit and finish isn’t particularly impressive either. Some of the door surfaces have different coloring, which is easy to see in direct sunlight: The black plastics around the armrest appear purple, while other panels remain black.

The roof pillars are thick, especially the one just over the driver’s shoulder. These, combined with the short side-window glass and the very small rear window, make it a challenge to see out.

The interior feels rather cheap and plasticky, like what you'd find in a Ford F-150 or Ranger pickup truck. We expect to find harder, work-level materials in a pickup, but not a family SUV. The third-row seat has lots of headroom, but it’s less roomy than the previous generation, lacks under-leg support, and has limited foot room. It’s best left for kids.

We’re pretty disappointed by these obvious flaws in such a high-priced SUV. A fully loaded Kia Telluride is priced at just under $48,000. At that price, it has luxury-level accommodations and unique, thoughtful features, such as USB outlets on the rear of the front seats. Our Explorer comes in near $50,000 but feels like it should be much closer to $30,000.

#31 ·
Falcon, I agree, you were not negative on C8. I read your posts. You simply expressed an opinion that many fans also have, that they will miss the long hood proportions of every single previous gen which has always defined vette. I struggle as well, completely recognizing that new C8 is a superior sports car on the track. It's just not always about shaving time on a track for some fans.

Anyway, back to the Explorer (somewhat), but I can't help wonder how Bronco will have a huge impact on Explorer sales numbers. I took my time walking through the huuuge Bronco event area at Woodward Cruise yesterday. There was easily several hundred spread over a 1/4 mile or so. I have seen some of these in the past, but never have I seen them all together, parked, where I could talk with the owners and other fans who took endless picutres. The clear take away for anyone who witnessed the event......Bronco mania is very strong and absolutely growing. Ford's timing with new Bronco and mini Bronco is brilliant. Jeep should be nervous, as this will impact their sales directly.

http://fordauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1968-Ford-Bronco-Black-002.jpg

#32 · (Edited)
The Broncos are vapourware so far...we are 6 months away from 2020 and we haven’t any of them...so much for the line up to be ‘transformed’ by 2020...

Jeep has nothing to worry about, somehow they have a strong brand reputation, as long as they don’t screw up, they should stay at the top without much effort. By the time the new ‘Bronco’ come in 2021/2022 (maybe?), Jeep will be throwing the a new interior with even more tech in the Wrangler, including a plug in hybrid....they will have a new Grand Cherokee and the Grand Wagoneer (this one I honestly has taken Jeep way too much time to bring to market)

#40 ·
Hellboi, are you really so obtuse that you simply can't understand the sales impact of (2) volume sellers that stopped production months ago combined with dealer volumes depleting as Ford holds incentives minimum, and also combined with consumers awaiting all new products?

We may disagree on a lot, but there is no way you are this dumb to not undrstand. Hence my remark about age.

#48 ·
Here another review, from Edmunds... https://www.edmunds.com/ford/explorer/

I will put the bad comments here...only the bad ones. I want to make HELLboy happy . Note that the bad comments are 5 lines.. in a large article. Only 5 lines.

"The main low point has to do with certain aspects of interior materials. While most of the bits close at hand are attractive soft-touch surfaces, some of it looks hard and cold. There's also a prominent joint between two completely different surfaces right in the middle that is hard to miss.
Also, we could use more USB ports. When Ford's spec sheet says it has two USB ports in the front and two more in the middle row it means one standard USB jack and one oval USB-C port in each of those places. The third row doesn't have any."

About the Explorer prices:
"Explorer pricing is fully available to study in detail on Edmunds, but here are some highlights. The base and Limited are priced to compete with the crossover competition, but certain active safety gear such as adaptive cruise control isn't standard here. There are many options, and it is ridiculously easy to hike up the price considerably."

#49 ·
These negatives are repeated in several reviews, that certain trim surfaces that you will probably never touch, are not covered with another softer material......and that the third row does not include USB. I guess they need to feel objective, since they can no longer complain about old platform or under powered engines or lack of transmission gearing or lack of safety features or .........

#50 ·
Below is link to another review of the base model.

I have to say, I think I would upgrade to the larger 10" screen. I base this on the fact that I rarely use the conventional controls, and have made it a habit to go right to the screen. But it is most beneficial when in map mode while traveling or looking for that new restaurant in Ann Arbor, or......

https://carbuzz.com/cars/ford/explorer

#60 · (Edited)
And let us know when Highlander competely changes their product, including platform, engines, etc. Otherwise, there is little down time in slapping on new sheet metal on the same ole same ole
It might not be obvious because the larger all-new 2020 Highlander is still FWD-based but it actually rides on an all-new architecture (called TNGA-K). It's supposed to have a lower center of gravity, lighter construction, improved ride quality etc.

The new Highlander seems decent for what it is, a family wagon. Styling is actually one of Toyota's better ones.

The 2020 Explorer's advantage is its RWD-AWD architecture. Its balance and handling can make it both a family hauler and a performance SUV.

For me it's better to have a well-balanced platform than have one that relies purely on electronic driving aids to get you out of trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.