7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The Challenger has aged really well considering almost no sheetmetal changes have taken place. My bias pulls me toward the Mustang for sure though.
I would say it has aged well since the 70's, from where they literally lifted the design from.
You could say Ford did the same with the 5G Mustang and it was getting long in the tooth by the end of it's run. Not only has the Challenger remained relatively fresh in appearance, they've managed to increase sales over the years too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: GT500 Officially has 760hp

Quote:
You could say Ford did the same with the 5G Mustang and it was getting long in the tooth by the end of it's run. Not only has the Challenger remained relatively fresh in appearance, they've managed to increase sales over the years too.
That's so you to say that. But I meant it as a compliment. I own an E-body from 72. Gorgeous styling that will always be just that.

But, that said, 3rdG Challenger is on it's 11th year and there is no refresh in site. Hardly the same as the 5thG stang. As for sales, well yeah, when you are at the bottom, it's easier to climb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
As for sales, well yeah, when you are at the bottom, it's easier to climb.
Seeing an old-tech dinosaur's sales climb is actually surprising. lol

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Seeing an old-tech dinosaur's sales climb is actually surprising. lol
Not at all. Every kid in high school WANTS a Hellcat. And how many old school fans like me want one too. Dodge is riding the wave quite well. In the end, I think we can confidently thank Mustang for bringing it back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
But, that said, 3rdG Challenger is on it's 11th year and there is no refresh in site. Hardly the same as the 5thG stang. As for sales, well yeah, when you are at the bottom, it's easier to climb.
I feel like before Sergio passed away he had said there was another refresh coming shortly for the Challenger and Charger. Said it was going to continue to use the current platform, but with so many changed pieces it nobody could tell was the same platform.

5th Gen stang did go on a long time though, just not quite as long. Plus a pretty extensive refresh for 2010, Coyote in 2018, then another refresh in 2013. I see the 6th gen going the same route, having had a refresh in 2018 and likely another for 2021 or 22MY since 7th gen pushed out.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:32 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I feel like before Sergio passed away he had said there was another refresh coming shortly for the Challenger and Charger. Said it was going to continue to use the current platform, but with so many changed pieces it nobody could tell was the same platform.

5th Gen stang did go on a long time though, just not quite as long. Plus a pretty extensive refresh for 2010, Coyote in 2018, then another refresh in 2013. I see the 6th gen going the same route, having had a refresh in 2018 and likely another for 2021 or 22MY since 7th gen pushed out.

I recall Mustang kept it fresh in many ways, but I think mostly because there was little competition for some time they could coast.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
I recall Mustang kept it fresh in many ways, but I think mostly because there was little competition for some time they could coast.
It'll be interesting to see how much effort Ford puts into the Mustang now given it's only real competition is going away. It does make the idea of the 6G Mustang hanging around longer more palatable knowing the alternative is likely no Mustang.

I do wonder what the Mustang would be like today if the Camaro hadn't been revived and been as strong a performer as it has been. I doubt we'd even recognize it as Ford would have had little incentive to push the limits.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:46 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how much effort Ford puts into the Mustang now given it's only real competition is going away. It does make the idea of the 6G Mustang hanging around longer more palatable knowing the alternative is likely no Mustang.

I do wonder what the Mustang would be like today if the Camaro hadn't been revived and been as strong a performer as it has been. I doubt we'd even recognize it as Ford would have had little incentive to push the limits.
By eliminating all other cars, Ford intends on investing well into their legacy and money making nameplates. Mustang is going nowhere. Guilty as charged of coasting too long during 5th gen, but again that was mostly due to literally no competition. As long as Ford fans want it, it will stay.

As for Camaro steering Mustang's success, careful not to give GM too much credit. The list of performance versions that kept Ford engineers up at night, is rather short. All told, they each drove each other to be better, but no comparison in terms of who followed who most.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
By eliminating all other cars, Ford intends on investing well into their legacy and money making nameplates. Mustang is going nowhere. Guilty as charged of coasting too long during 5th gen, but again that was mostly due to literally no competition. As long as Ford fans want it, it will stay.

As for Camaro steering Mustang's success, careful not to give GM too much credit. The list of performance versions that kept Ford engineers up at night, is rather short. All told, they each drove each other to be better, but no comparison in terms of who followed who most.
I do hope the Mustang sticks around. I do kinda feel like the Camaro helped push Ford to make the Mustang better though. 05 to 09 GT was pretty meh, but then with the 2010 refresh they finally started to push the envelope a bit, the car was no longer just about a straight line. Despite being underpowered compared to the Camaro it would put up faster lap times. Then once the Coyote came out it was game over until the 1LE showed up, **** even then regular GT with performance pack was taking on M3s. Just saying, competition improves the breed, you can see it on both Ford and GM side where they have upped the game to compete better.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I do hope the Mustang sticks around. I do kinda feel like the Camaro helped push Ford to make the Mustang better though. 05 to 09 GT was pretty meh, but then with the 2010 refresh they finally started to push the envelope a bit, the car was no longer just about a straight line. Despite being underpowered compared to the Camaro it would put up faster lap times. Then once the Coyote came out it was game over until the 1LE showed up, **** even then regular GT with performance pack was taking on M3s. Just saying, competition improves the breed, you can see it on both Ford and GM side where they have upped the game to compete better.
Zeta Camaro made a big splash but GM fumbled with Alpha and it cost thema lot of sales, Mustang has near 50/50 V8 take rate, Camaro is in the mid 30s with a much lower sales count.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page