19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKnox View Post
Not quite, there's still pollution in the production of electricity and the disposal of old batteries. But I get the gist of what you're saying.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

...and maybe the pollution that come from the batteries production is greater than expected. The EVs only move the CO2 production outside the cities.
...actually, we’re 43% nuke, 10% hydro, and 3% solar and rising (use to be 60% coal, now 20%). How does that compare with your gas car? I also buy 600 kWh of renewable energy per month from my power provider for $16 extra to cover my cars (much cheaper than putting in my own solar), which requires my power provider to purchase that power from a renewable provider. So, my EVs are 100% clean.

Can you do that with your gas car?
igor2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Ford seems to have everyone covered in their planning. Of course there will surely be those who only measure success in comparing who sells more BEV's. Idiocy is a choice, afterall.
...next time an ad comes on with Ford crowing about 42 years of sales leadership, I’ll chuckle at the irony of your statement.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:09 AM
Ford Flex

Re: F150 EV Pulls 1 million pounds

Some guy pulled a 560K pound train with his teeth. So, he and his brother could match this feat!
igor2 likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

"My EVs are 100% clean"

Really?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...-power-energy/

"Batteries powering electric vehicles are forecast to make up 90% of the lithium-ion battery market by 2025. They are the main reason why electric vehicles can generate more carbon emissions over their lifecycle – from procurement of raw materials to manufacturing, use and recycling – than petrol or diesel cars. Three factors account for this."
"Firstly, producing an electric vehicle contributes, on average, twice as much to global warming potential and uses double the amount of energy than producing a combustion engine car. This is mainly because of its battery. Battery production uses a lot of energy"
"Secondly, once in use, an electric vehicle is only as green as the electricity that feeds its battery. A coal-powered battery is dirtier than a solar-powered battery"
"Thirdly, while an electric vehicle has a higher carbon footprint at the beginning of its lifecycle, it is typically cleaner once in use"

Ditto, the EVs moves the carbon emissions outside the cities, but doesn´t eliminate them.

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
"My EVs are 100% clean"

Really?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...-power-energy/

"Batteries powering electric vehicles are forecast to make up 90% of the lithium-ion battery market by 2025. They are the main reason why electric vehicles can generate more carbon emissions over their lifecycle – from procurement of raw materials to manufacturing, use and recycling – than petrol or diesel cars. Three factors account for this."
"Firstly, producing an electric vehicle contributes, on average, twice as much to global warming potential and uses double the amount of energy than producing a combustion engine car. This is mainly because of its battery. Battery production uses a lot of energy"
"Secondly, once in use, an electric vehicle is only as green as the electricity that feeds its battery. A coal-powered battery is dirtier than a solar-powered battery"
"Thirdly, while an electric vehicle has a higher carbon footprint at the beginning of its lifecycle, it is typically cleaner once in use"

Ditto, the EVs moves the carbon emissions outside the cities, but doesn´t eliminate them.
Can we retire this debunked and dead wrong myth? Yeah, building batteries is 'costly' but it is not even close over the lifecycle, unless you cherry pick examples.

1) Battery production pollutes, but does motor oil every 3k miles come from fairy dust?
Yeah batteries have byproducts. so does oil extraction, refining, motor and transmission oil manufacturing and disposal. I have yet to see a study on Co2 impact of EV vs gas that actually includes all the liquids required over the life of the car -- almost always only gasoline is included. This also ignores all the oil spills large and small and other pollution from processing all the liquids necessary to keep a gas car running. And EV gets a batter, has AC coolant, brake fluid, and tires (all three of which pollute, but are identical between the types ) and needs no other maintenance.

2) per mile - already cleaner in every state
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html

Already today CO2 per mile is way less in an EV compared to a gas car

3) EVs will keep getting leaner - a gas car will not
Here is where EVs shine. Every day the grid get greener. Every day you charge, you're charging with less CO2 per kW. Over the life of the truck, we will make hugestrides in making the grid greener, as the price of solar and wind falls below coal and competitive with natural gas - the price fall of renewables has been nothing but staggering. As of this year, in the US, it's coal that would need subsidy to be price competitive .. not renewables.

Unless politicians get in the way for political purposes within the life cycle of a 2020 truck we will see hus transfer of electricity generation in the US from coal to natural gas and to renewables. It's happening today, and tomorrow, and accelerating.

This is why EV's are 'clean' because we can keep making them cleaner. That 20mpg gast truck will get 20mpg in 2020 and what? 16mp in 2030, making it not cleaner and likely less clean as it ages with no way to make it cleaner until it is retired and replaced by a new model.

4) You dismiss urban air pollution as a minor afterthought .. it is not
We kill about 100k americans every year with air pollution in US cities ... that is also a huge deal
https://www.usnews.com/news/national...on-study-finds

No EVs are not '100 clean' and but they are heck of a lot cleaner than a gas only car of the same size - they are cleaner now, and will keep being cleaner rover their lifecycle.
falcon lover likes this.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Ford Explorer

Igor,
a few comments on your comments.

Battery material mining and production costs a lot, and introduces a lot of pollution as well. Oil production to gas, costs a tiny fraction. And I hear that oil production costs are going down faster and faster, with technology still in it's infancy. Not so with Battery material.

Also, I have never owned a vehicle that decreases in efficiency. If it does, you would need equipment to detect it. And ICE engines are getting cleaner, as our focus currently is on 40-45% efficiency for future engines.

As for CO2, there is no such thing as too much. That's a fact that greenies will not admit. CO2 is good for our planet, and through history, every time life prospered, was during high levels of CO2 on the planet. We have been at the lowest level for centuries now, and slight increases is a good thing. All BS what some want you to believe.

And finally, recycling of batteries on a massive scale has scientists baffled as to how to handle it. Massive problem.

All facts.
falcon lover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
...next time an ad comes on with Ford crowing about 42 years of sales leadership, I’ll chuckle at the irony of your statement.
WTF?
Maybe you should use that opportunity to instead remind yourself of the importance of segment leadership (which everyone does) and how it impacts sales......instead of bragging one day (and we know you will) that Tesla sells more BEV trucks (if true) and is somehow a leader.

Nice truck, malaka.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Arrow Re: F150 EV Pulls 1 million pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
........my EVs are 100% clean.
Not quite, unless your car and all of its constituent parts are reusable/recyclable you can't say that. But I understand what your trying to imply. Again, batteries produce massive amounts of pollution in both production (extraction of multiple types of raw materials) and disposal and can irreversibly damage ecosystems. Also, battery R&D is extremely expensive and any meaningful battery life extending will be decades away.

Many will fall for this farcical thinking simply because no emissions are coming directly out of their cars therefore it must be completely clean!

The point is, EV pollution still exists, is not the final answer to solving the environmental crisis, and while they typically produce fewer life cycle emissions than ICE vehicles the exact amount of these emissions depends on your electricity mix, which varies greatly by geographic location.

By the way enjoy your C8, I'm sure you'll immediately convert it to EV so it'll be "100% clean".
wingsnut and falcon lover like this.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Ford Ka

Oil production to gas is tiny? It takes significant energy to convert crude to gasoline. And transport it to the station. Transmission of electrical power from plant to destination is only about 5%. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3

No such thing as too much CO2 is a fact? Then all those scientists that think otherwise are wrong I suppose. Please support this fact.

Battery recycling is done by shredding them, sorting the materials and melting them down for re-use. They aren't taken to the dump. Once they are too degraded for use in the vehicle, re-using the battery cells for use in the grid for buffering energy can provide a second life in reducing the pollution of the grid. The vehicle manufactures should be thinking ahead of how to deal with the volume of batteries in the future. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...en-they-retire

This is the power mix in the USA for 2018 https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3
dmwery and pffan1990 like this.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:43 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

AMAZING!! That's called EV torque. Very cool.
falcon lover likes this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page