Ford Inside News banner

F150 EV Pulls 1 million pounds

14K views 62 replies 16 participants last post by  Falc'man 
#1 ·
https://youtu.be/bXFHgoon7lg

It’s a secret to no one that Ford is developing an all-electric version of America’s best-selling vehicle, the F-150. We’ve seen spy photos of two prototypes testing on public roads and today we can get the first glimpse of the electric truck’s actual capability. The Blue Oval automaker has released a demonstrational video, showing a pre-production F-150 EV test car towing more than one million pounds.

No, there isn’t a typo in the text above. For the clip, Ford has lined up 10 double-decker rail cars loaded with no less than 42 examples of the 2019 F-150. The total weight of the composition is way over one million pounds, which equals to approximately 453,592 kilograms or 453.5 tons. In the video above, the demonstration is performed with Linda Zhang, chief engineer of the Ford F-150, behind the wheel of the prototype.

“Ford has confirmed it will bring an all-electric F-150 to market,” the company explains. “This will be in addition to the all-new F-150 Hybrid that goes on sale next year. Both electrified models will have the toughness, capability, and innovation that F-150 customers have come to expect.”

Needless to say, Ford mentions the all-electric truck is towing “far beyond any production truck’s published capacity” and you should “never tow beyond a vehicle’s towing capacities.”

But what’s under the hood, you ask? Unfortunately, we can’t tell anything specific at this point. The prototypes from earlier this year featured battery packs installed underneath the cabin and a charging port integrated into the front bumper. Whether that’s the final layout and what’s hiding underneath the skin is completely unknown yet.

In January this year, Ford announced it’s already working on the all-electric F-150 through the voice of its President of Global Markets, Jim Farley. While the release date is also a mystery, the manufacturer promises “the all-electric Ford F-150 is coming” and we suspect we won’t see it until late next year or even 2021.

https://www.motor1.com/news/361301/f150-electric-towing-million-pounds/

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like the F-150 will generate more revenue for Ford in California...

Where are you, Mooseman??? Hey!!!!

/forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png
...I am happy to see Ford beginning to push EV as an answer to truck guys. Stereotype or not, a lot of truck guys think EVs are “gay.” The truth is, electric motors are awesome for pulling things. These kinds of ads from Ford will help EVs in general lose their image as being for mincing tree-huggers and push the truth that EVs represent an upgrade in performance and capability. The days of coal rolling are coming to a close. Kudos, Ford. I knew you were on the right track (pun intended).

#4 ·
Correction, the BEV truck pulled 1.25 Million pounds.

DEARBORN – As America’s truck leader, Ford prefers its actions to speak louder than words. In a demonstration of its extraordinary capability, an all-electric F-150 prototype recently towed 10 double-decker rail cars and 42 F-150s (in recognition of 42 years of Ford truck leadership) weighing more than 1 million pounds.

Linda Zhang, F-150 chief program engineer, was behind the wheel, working to demonstrate the instantaneous torque delivered by an electric motor in combination with the truck’s high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body. Five F-150 owners also were on hand to witness the all-electric F-150 prototype move the massive collection of train cars 1,000 feet to the finish line.

“Nothing makes a bigger statement than being America’s best-selling pickup for the last 42 years,” said Zhang. “The all-electric F-150 will continue to have the toughness, capability and innovation F-150 customers have come to expect. We wouldn’t build an all-electric F-150 if it wasn’t Built Ford Tough.”

Behind the wheel

Zhang, a 23-year Ford veteran, is leading the F-150 program at a transformative time as the company prepares to bring more electrified powertrains into its lineup. Zhang, who assumed the role last year, sees it as just the latest in a long history of advances for Ford’s venerable pickup truck.

“F-150 has always been a leader,” she said. “We’ve led on EcoBoost engines and aluminum alloy bodies. This all-electric F-150 prototype is the latest in a long line of Built Ford Tough innovations for our customers. I’m really excited I’m able to lead and be part of our incredible team, but it’s part of our normal growth strategy to better serve truck customers.”

Zhang has worked in other departments throughout the company including finance, corporate strategy and manufacturing. Most recently, she was part of the product team behind the all-new 2020 Ford Explorer. That varied experience puts her in a unique position to lead.

#5 ·
So when you think about what Ford has learned through decades of truck leadership, countless development hours and testing, you start to wonder how the BEV truck competition will even keep up. Far more to trucks than sensors and software and apps.

Who remembers when Nissan and Toyota, both with many years of truck experience, decided to compete with full sized truck entries, and automotive forums were ablaze with chants about the Japanese eating Detroit's lunch.

How did that work out for the haters.

#9 ·
We are only months away from the hybrid F150. Sales of it will weigh heavily on price and value to customer. Ford could package it with a bias for FE, using the same drivetrain as the Explorer hybrid.....or they could package it more for capability using the turbo 3.5L. Or offer both, which is more likely. Customers will benefit from what will no doubt be class leading metrics.

Ford seems to have everyone covered in their planning. Of course there will surely be those who only measure success in comparing who sells more BEV's. Idiocy is a choice, afterall.

#14 ·
"My EVs are 100% clean"

Really?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017...lectric-cars-carbon-sustainable-power-energy/

"Batteries powering electric vehicles are forecast to make up 90% of the lithium-ion battery market by 2025. They are the main reason why electric vehicles can generate more carbon emissions over their lifecycle – from procurement of raw materials to manufacturing, use and recycling – than petrol or diesel cars. Three factors account for this."
"Firstly, producing an electric vehicle contributes, on average, twice as much to global warming potential and uses double the amount of energy than producing a combustion engine car. This is mainly because of its battery. Battery production uses a lot of energy"
"Secondly, once in use, an electric vehicle is only as green as the electricity that feeds its battery. A coal-powered battery is dirtier than a solar-powered battery"
"Thirdly, while an electric vehicle has a higher carbon footprint at the beginning of its lifecycle, it is typically cleaner once in use"

Ditto, the EVs moves the carbon emissions outside the cities, but doesn´t eliminate them.

#15 ·
Can we retire this debunked and dead wrong myth? Yeah, building batteries is 'costly' but it is not even close over the lifecycle, unless you cherry pick examples.

1) Battery production pollutes, but does motor oil every 3k miles come from fairy dust?
Yeah batteries have byproducts. so does oil extraction, refining, motor and transmission oil manufacturing and disposal. I have yet to see a study on Co2 impact of EV vs gas that actually includes all the liquids required over the life of the car -- almost always only gasoline is included. This also ignores all the oil spills large and small and other pollution from processing all the liquids necessary to keep a gas car running. And EV gets a batter, has AC coolant, brake fluid, and tires (all three of which pollute, but are identical between the types ) and needs no other maintenance.

2) per mile - already cleaner in every state
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

Already today CO2 per mile is way less in an EV compared to a gas car

3) EVs will keep getting leaner - a gas car will not
Here is where EVs shine. Every day the grid get greener. Every day you charge, you're charging with less CO2 per kW. Over the life of the truck, we will make hugestrides in making the grid greener, as the price of solar and wind falls below coal and competitive with natural gas - the price fall of renewables has been nothing but staggering. As of this year, in the US, it's coal that would need subsidy to be price competitive .. not renewables.

Unless politicians get in the way for political purposes within the life cycle of a 2020 truck we will see hus transfer of electricity generation in the US from coal to natural gas and to renewables. It's happening today, and tomorrow, and accelerating.

This is why EV's are 'clean' because we can keep making them cleaner. That 20mpg gast truck will get 20mpg in 2020 and what? 16mp in 2030, making it not cleaner and likely less clean as it ages with no way to make it cleaner until it is retired and replaced by a new model.

4) You dismiss urban air pollution as a minor afterthought .. it is not
We kill about 100k americans every year with air pollution in US cities ... that is also a huge deal
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...-americans-die-from-air-pollution-study-finds

No EVs are not '100 clean' and but they are heck of a lot cleaner than a gas only car of the same size - they are cleaner now, and will keep being cleaner rover their lifecycle.

#16 ·
Igor,
a few comments on your comments.

Battery material mining and production costs a lot, and introduces a lot of pollution as well. Oil production to gas, costs a tiny fraction. And I hear that oil production costs are going down faster and faster, with technology still in it's infancy. Not so with Battery material.

Also, I have never owned a vehicle that decreases in efficiency. If it does, you would need equipment to detect it. And ICE engines are getting cleaner, as our focus currently is on 40-45% efficiency for future engines.

As for CO2, there is no such thing as too much. That's a fact that greenies will not admit. CO2 is good for our planet, and through history, every time life prospered, was during high levels of CO2 on the planet. We have been at the lowest level for centuries now, and slight increases is a good thing. All BS what some want you to believe.

And finally, recycling of batteries on a massive scale has scientists baffled as to how to handle it. Massive problem.

All facts.

#19 ·
Oil production to gas is tiny? It takes significant energy to convert crude to gasoline. And transport it to the station. Transmission of electrical power from plant to destination is only about 5%. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3

No such thing as too much CO2 is a fact? Then all those scientists that think otherwise are wrong I suppose. Please support this fact.

Battery recycling is done by shredding them, sorting the materials and melting them down for re-use. They aren't taken to the dump. Once they are too degraded for use in the vehicle, re-using the battery cells for use in the grid for buffering energy can provide a second life in reducing the pollution of the grid. The vehicle manufactures should be thinking ahead of how to deal with the volume of batteries in the future. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ic-vehicle-batteries-will-go-when-they-retire

This is the power mix in the USA for 2018 https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

#21 · (Edited)
I clearly stated that oil to gas production cost was tiny compared to battery material mining to battery production costs and then add in recycling costs.

And CO2 is not a problem. That's pretty much a fact, if you discount the many politically motivated websites or scientists. When there is 100% agreement, which is what science is about, that the amount of CO2 added by America is destroying our planet, then I will agree. Until then, I agree with the many who claim it is NOT a problem, and these many scientists explain why. And no I won't prove it. Do your own leg work. It's not important to me that you believe me, but this is quite well known. Think what you want.

#25 ·
The ICE is way cleaner now than when it came out, just the same as electricity and EV production will become cleaner and more sustainable with technology. The fact is we are headed to an EV future, nothing can be done so may as well accept it. Besides, causing less damage to the planet is a good thing.

#30 · (Edited)
Zana,
below is another great discussion on GCC, and if you just scrub forward to the 15:30 mark, they begin the conversation of CO2. Both men disagree with the CO2 alarmist BS that 400ppm is some tipping point that we would not survive in. He states that if you walk into a rain forrest, today, levels exceed 600ppm. The many charts you see that show CO2 at it's highest level in the last 400K years, is BS, because prior to that, which they conveniently cherry pick, levels were 10X higher than they are today, during the most prosperous periods for life Earth. That gets ignored, for obvious reasons.

#49 ·
Zana,
below is another great discussion on GCC, and if you just scrub forward to the 15:30 mark, they begin the conversation of CO2. Both men disagree with the CO2 alarmist BS that 400ppm is some tipping point that we would not survive in. He states that if you walk into a rain forrest, today, levels exceed 600ppm. The many charts you see that show CO2 at it's highest level in the last 400K years, is BS, because prior to that, which they conveniently cherry pick, levels were 10X higher than they are today, during the most prosperous periods for life Earth. That gets ignored, for obvious reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJwayalLpYY&t=1677s
another one for you Igor,

and again, no worries, I already know you will not watch the video or reply.

#33 ·
Here is the thing, for any "expert" you can find that says global warming is a myth, a person can likely find just as many or more "experts" saying otherwise. Regardless of what side of the debate you stand on you can find studies and facts to fit your narrative. Would any facts presented to you change your mind? Probably not, just as any facts you present wont change anybody elses. It will continue to be a pissing contest with an us vs them mentality.

#44 ·
Who is right?
Many scientists are quick to claim we are almost at a tipping point of 400 ppm CO2, and that is causing bad weather and heating our planet and humans are the main cause.

Many scientists are also quick to point out that life on Earth has flourished, for many millions of years, with CO2 levels of 3000-5000 ppm, and that extreme weather has always existed. Obviosuly, man and the industrial revolution did not cause any of that.

We also know that Temperature fluctuations are constant thorughout history and often coincide with rising and falling CO2. But that does not mean that CO2 is the causation of increases or decrease in temps. They know this because summer and winter levels alone swing on a CO2 level graph, based on obvious seasonal vegatation.

What confuses me is that nobody wants to discuss this. Everyone has their side, either alarmist or denier, and will not change their minds. Which is fine, except one of those sides wants to drastically alter the life we live in, based on controversial beliefs and math models.

This is nothing new. I have lived my whole life in panic from false predictions. Now I see it in my kids who say, and I quote.......why bother with a career when the world will soon end. It breaks my heart and I can't get through to them.

#46 · (Edited)
The trailer was again the weight of the Model X itself, 4500 pounds plus the significant aerodynamic drag increase. If they had used the new 'Raven' Model X with the permanent magnetic motor on the front axle instead of an induction motor it would have done slightly better.
Yeah I agree, you need a lot more battery capacity to tow 100s of miles without a recharge. Can be done if u have the patience but towing is often a time is money matter! Plug-in hybrid trucks however do not have this limitation, can use liquid fuel. Day to day driving can use little fuel but for trips there is no problem. Solid state batteries or another advancement ready for mass use can solve the issue.
Who know how much battery capacity Rivian and tesla pickup will have.

#50 ·
Igor,
Your comparing the majority of scientists who deny alarmists to flat-earthers…..is a joke. And your asking for links as proof….is a joke too I hope. But I know better. Alarmists, like you, refuse to discuss the topic, therefore you are ignorant of the topic, unwilling to learn. Shame
There is a limitless list of sites refuting the alarmist’s and their political and economic driven agenda. I pasted a few below for you, but I already know you won’t bother to go to them, but you asked, so here you go…….
Recent news debunked:
https://www.thegwpf.com/ignore-climate-hysteria-world-grain-crop-set-to-break-record/

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wor...ice-sheet-meltdown-scare-except-its-not-true/

https://www.scienceunderattack.com/...change-causes-weather-extremes-4-tornadoes-31

http://co2coalition.org/2019/08/01/...e-were-not-heading-toward-climate-apocalypse/

#55 · (Edited)
From the snopes link:
The current list of petition signers includes 9,029 PhD; 7,157 MS; 2,586 MD and DVM; and 12,715 BS or equivalent academic degrees. Most of the MD and DVM signers also have underlying degrees in basic science.

The fact that not all were PHD's, does not allow snopes or anyone to conclude the claim is "mostly false" or to continue discounting their theories and results. That is a significant amount of advanced degrees in the scientific community who simply don't agree.

Science fact should not be a popularity contest about who has more on their side. Based on minimal data questionable math models, etc. nobody should draw any conclusions, until the scientific community is in 100% agreement. But that will never happen, if one side has decided they know enough to justify a radical path that they want to charge forward on.....rather than learn more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.