DN: We want no stinking merger Mr. Wagoner. Ford tells GM to go take a hike. - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT
DN: Ford not interested in GM tie-up

Detroit News

Ford not interested in GM tie-up
Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. approached Ford Motor Co. about a possible merger prior to contacting Chrysler LLC, according people close to the situation.

Though there were direct communications between GM CEO Rick Wagoner and Ford CEO Alan Mulally, those talks never evolved into actual negotiations.

"There were never in-depth, substantive discussions that went on," said one of those sources, who spoke to The Detroit News on the condition of anonymity. "It was more an expression of interest, as in, 'Do you want to talk?' "

Ford said no.

The Dearborn automaker would not officially comment on the reports, but sources familiar with Mulally's thinking on the topic told The News that such a tie-up would be contrary to his plan for saving Ford.

Mulally wants to simplify Ford's own operations and better integrate them on global scale. He wants fewer brands and fewer dealers. And he is jealously guarding Ford's cash reserves, which have so far insulated the Dearborn automaker from the bankruptcy speculation swirling around GM.

Adding more brands, more factories and more dealers just does not make sense in this environment, those sources said.

Mulally has repeatedly pointed to rival Toyota Motor Corp. as his model for success, noting that Japan's largest automaker competes successfully around the world with just one major brand and closely integrated global operations.
Reports that GM had contacted Ford first surfaced in the New York Times earlier today.

for more CLICK HERE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: DN: We want no stinking merger Mr. Wagoner. Ford tells GM to go take a hike.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm Looks like GM is in desperate situation. They talk about a merger or about a "take over" of GM from Ford??

I'm worried, GM talking about merger ???!!!. Maybe is the moment Toyota was waiting for and convert GM in the Toyota's "truck division for NorthAmerica" .

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Content Admin

Re: DN: We want no stinking merger Mr. Wagoner. Ford tells GM to go take a hike.

Perhaps Wagoner smells blood. He has proved to be a clever take over shark. GM Daewoo and his Circling around proton is testament to this.
I know one thing about Americans, do not under estimate them. They sometimes look foolish, but that is what makes them get you by suprise.
GM might "merge" with someone, auction off some assets from the rival and finance its own dark times. That I am sure is what they want. And they smell blood.
Do not forget they faught off Dr. Kevokian.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Editor

Mark my word. GM is not done with Ford. They still have a plan that includes Ford...by force.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
Perhaps Wagoner smells blood. He has proved to be a clever take over shark. GM Daewoo and his Circling around proton is testament to this.
I know one thing about Americans, do not under estimate them. They sometimes look foolish, but that is what makes them get you by suprise.
GM might "merge" with someone, auction off some assets from the rival and finance its own dark times. That I am sure is what they want. And they smell blood.
Do not forget they faught off Dr. Kevokian.

Ding ding. What he said. Don't think this GM-Ford thing is over...its far from over.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nsap_ View Post
Ding ding. What he said. Don't think this GM-Ford thing is over...its far from over.
The only way such a merger could eve go through is if and when the Ford family decides to relinquish its controlling "powers" and let it go through. Not an unlikely scenario, but and but, if Ford broke off talks with GM is only because the family allowed them to do so.

The way things are now Ford Family > Kerkorian. Later, who knows?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
The only way such a merger could eve go through is if and when the Ford family decides to relinquish its controlling "powers" and let it go through. Not an unlikely scenario, but and but, if Ford broke off talks with GM is only because the family allowed them to do so.

The way things are now Ford Family > Kerkorian. Later, who knows?
Just recently (and I assume this is what the article is referring to), GM approached Ford about working together on -some- powertrain development. They did this to test the waters for a merger/take-over. Well ford management ran and hid in the closet at any such venture...even after GM promised big enefits to them.

Ford ran because they know what their place is in GM's business model. We will see this movie again in about the last part of 2010...even if GM gets Chrysler. I wish I could divulge more on this...it is quite interesting.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Ford Mondeo

This headline is not my favorite. But I doubt GM came begging like its made to sound

|
|
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nsap_ View Post
Just recently (and I assume this is what the article is referring to), GM approached Ford about working together on -some- powertrain development. They did this to test the waters for a merger/take-over. Well ford management ran and hid in the closet at any such venture...even after GM promised big enefits to them.

Ford ran because they know what their place is in GM's business model. We will see this movie again in about the last part of 2010...even if GM gets Chrysler. I wish I could divulge more on this...it is quite interesting.
Who could blame Ford for running? Assuming, of course, that your account is accurate. GM hasn't been especially effective on delivering "big benefits" to themselves. How could Ford trust them in delivering such big benefits to anyone else? We all know who got all the benefits in the Ford . . . err . . . "jointly" developed 6-speeds transmission.

In a year when GM loses tripled those of Ford. When Ford has a clear advantage in terms of power trains. When Ford has a clear advantage in Europe. Why would they ever want to merge with GM? Who would want to merge or "being taken over" by GM? GM is radioactive poison, as it is right now. Toyota wont even touch them with a 40 ft pole, why would Ford want to enter into such a close relationship?

Dreaming is free. And Ford is take-over-proof, at least until they decide they don't want to be anymore.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMdealer View Post
I kinda liked it!
I think so too. I think GM is sinking faster than Ford and needs something to help them.

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ford, hike, merger, stinking, tells, wagoner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page